Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Oil in Boost hose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 06:06 AM
bonemechanic is infamous around these parts
Oil in Boost hose

I purchased a Intake Plenum and was installing it yesterday. When I removed the driver's side hose there was small amount of engine oil in the hose/tube and factory plenum. The pass side was dry. Any Ideas??

Old 01-24-2009, 10:16 AM
canberk is infamous around these parts
i believe this is normal..

Old 01-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
Yep, normal on a pressurized intake system like a turbo. This is why alot of big boost cars run an oil catch can on the PVC system. I had this with both my VW and Audi 1.8T turbo motors. Expect it to be the same for the Porsche Turbo although I have not modified it yet to find out.

If is it not a turbo... not sure it would be normal. It might mean the PVC valve is faulty.

David

Old 01-24-2009, 03:31 PM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Reborn996
Yep, normal on a pressurized intake system like a turbo. This is why alot of big boost cars run an oil catch can on the PVC system. I had this with both my VW and Audi 1.8T turbo motors. Expect it to be the same for the Porsche Turbo although I have not modified it yet to find out.

If is it not a turbo... not sure it would be normal. It might mean the PVC valve is faulty.

David
Ditto in the turbocharged Subaru world. Normal w/o a good catch can.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:57 AM
The car is a 06 Turbo S. It is strange that it is one side and not the other. I know from super/turbo mods that the vapor from the heads gets sucked into the intakes. This requires the catch can. Does anyone know if it is just the drivers side that gets the oil vapor?

Old 03-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Now the engine is showing a max boost of .4bar. Will not go above this. I think that the turbo on that side must be blown. Any Ideas?

Old 03-09-2009, 01:34 AM
NanaimoCTT is infamous around these parts
i also have oil on the drivers side of my o4 turbo. I had over 1 cup of oil.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:36 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Yup, I had oil in Driver side hose when replacing DV's. Normal.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:03 AM
NanaimoCTT is infamous around these parts
1 cup too?

Old 03-10-2009, 06:38 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
No, 1 cup seems like a bit much, perhaps less than 1/4 cup if that for me. That could still be normal though. Did you ask your dealer service advisor ?

Old 03-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Scheduled an appointment at the dealer and a few hours later she is hitting full boost again. I guess that the oil is normal for the most part (or a common problem). I still don't know what caused the half boost.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Banned
twiskus has a spectacular aura abouttwiskus has a spectacular aura abouttwiskus has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by bonemechanic
Scheduled an appointment at the dealer and a few hours later she is hitting full boost again. I guess that the oil is normal for the most part (or a common problem). I still don't know what caused the half boost.
I can tell you that the oil residue is normal do to emissions dumping oil vapors back into the intake to be recycled. If you have oil pooling in the intake pipe that connects to the compressor housing of the turbo, then it is likely you have a blown turbo seal. As for the half boost, did they say they replaced anything or did it just start working again at full boost? I initially was thinking you had a boost leak via a crack in an IC pipe or a vacuum leak somewhere.

Trev

Old 11-02-2010, 05:59 AM
PianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by twiskus
I can tell you that the oil residue is normal do to emissions dumping oil vapors back into the intake to be recycled. If you have oil pooling in the intake pipe that connects to the compressor housing of the turbo, then it is likely you have a blown turbo seal. As for the half boost, did they say they replaced anything or did it just start working again at full boost? I initially was thinking you had a boost leak via a crack in an IC pipe or a vacuum leak somewhere.

Trev
My CTT when stock never ran as well as I anticipated but I attributed it to worn plugs and coils at nearly 60k miles. I had those replaced at the same time as having EVO tune, DVs and intakes as well as Sharkwerk's cat bypass and RSS plenum. When I picked up the car, my mechanic told me there was a lot of oil on the driver's side charge pipe right by the compressor leading him to believe the turbo is blown. He said the passenger side was dry. I took the car for a test drive, and on part throttle it drives pretty well though still not as responsive as I would have hoped; however, on WOT it is a DOG and just really bogs down.

Ironically, I drove the car quite a bit this weekend, and when the car was still a bit cold (oil temps at "10 pm") I gave the car full throttle in 2nd gear after rounding a turn and the car pulled cleanly and hard, but all other situations it has been just bad on WOT.

What do we think the chances are of my having a blown turbo as opposed to something more simple like a boost leak? I called Suncoast and was quoted $844.67 for a replacement turbocharger (which honestly isn't as bad as I thought it might be); however, it seems that the motor might have to be dropped to change the turbocharger which I imagine will be pricey on the labor (anyone know the hours?).

Old 11-02-2010, 09:22 PM
PutterMcGavin is infamous around these parts
It is typical but I did have my dealer replace the seal under CPO.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:53 AM
PianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud ofPianoProdigy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PutterMcGavin
It is typical but I did have my dealer replace the seal under CPO.
How bad was your leak when replaced? Was it affecting your power as I described above? Did they really just replace the seal or the whole turbocharger? When I called Suncoast, they said Porsche doesn't sell rebuild kits for the turbochargers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil in Boost hose