Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne Tire Speed Rating - Who is using less then Y?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:04 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
Cayenne Tire Speed Rating - Who is using less then Y?

Folks, Just ordered my new "20" rims and will be buying my new shoes shortly.
I am not sure yet if I will go with 275/40/20 or 275/45/20 but the main point is the speed rating. I am wondering if lots of you pep owners are running around on the V ratings. I was in the auto biz for a bunch of years so I totally know how to handle the ratings, I just am looking for a real world comment like "I went from Y to V and saw now dif. Back in the day, a V could be run longer and faster, but in general, it also handled better. These days its to convoluted to call above a V so please give me your real-world feedback.

Thanks,

Old 03-16-2009, 03:27 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
I'm trying to get to 100 - but hell man, at least have something to say

Old 03-16-2009, 07:27 PM
lovethesport is infamous around these parts
i am using w rated but they are winter tires---i dont think i will be going anywhere fast in winter we have up here---

Old 03-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
arent they only for the high speeds? i dont think they are related to handling and also, unless you push your tires to their limit, i highly doubt you will actually see/feel the difference.

just wondering, why are you getting v instead of y?

Old 03-16-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm moving from 18" stock rims and OEM bridgestones to 20" and Yokohama. Unfortunately the only Y or Z rated tire that under $200 a shot is the "Roadian" . . . . puke! I understand speed rating as I was in the wholesale tire biz years ago, but I also learned that speed ratings dont translate to realworld everyday drive performance. If I was in the midwest I would be more concerned with sustained high speed. I am more about occational high speed turn performance. On paper the nature of the larger footprint and lower profile should be a perf increase. BUT - sidewall stifness (low deflection) is an entire dif thing None the less, I was interested in what the board had to say for those that did what I am doing (see link). Maybe I should have just asked - "who is riding on these" !
http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/parada_specx.aspx

Old 03-17-2009, 01:04 PM
onemanclique is infamous around these parts
i'm riding on the parada spec x on my 20" set and after putting roughly 6k miles on them, i am definitely pleased with the set. they've handled well in rain and snow, grip well, provide a quiet smooth ride. and a big plus for being priced well. i ordered my set from tirerack. highly recommended.

recently there was another 6speeder asking about tire recommendations for his 22" set. the parada spec x was recommended by a few other fellow 6speeders as well.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ns-please.html

Old 03-17-2009, 01:21 PM
wheels is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by roxboxxx
I'm moving from 18" stock rims and OEM bridgestones to 20" and Yokohama. Unfortunately the only Y or Z rated tire that under $200 a shot is the "Roadian" . . . . puke! I understand speed rating as I was in the wholesale tire biz years ago, but I also learned that speed ratings dont translate to realworld everyday drive performance. If I was in the midwest I would be more concerned with sustained high speed. I am more about occational high speed turn performance. On paper the nature of the larger footprint and lower profile should be a perf increase. BUT - sidewall stifness (low deflection) is an entire dif thing None the less, I was interested in what the board had to say for those that did what I am doing (see link). Maybe I should have just asked - "who is riding on these" !
http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/parada_specx.aspx
I sent you a pm. I have the perfect tires for you and a good deal, too.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks One! Looks like I made the right choice this morning (I pulled the trigger early a.m.). I just ordered from one of my old contacts and paid wholesale (installed - less then TR). I did however buy the Orange TPS kit from TireRack and will be posting my experience with that at some point. Thanks for your feedback and really looking forward to the upgrade.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks One! Looks like I made the right choice this morning (I pulled the trigger early a.m.). I just ordered from one of my old contacts and paid wholesale (installed - less then TR). I did however buy the Orange TPS kit from TireRack and will be posting my experience with that at some point. Thanks for your feedback and really looking forward to the upgrade.
Hi roxboxxx,
When I got my 22" tires from tire rack last year I got the TPMS sensors from them. They were grey in color and made by Berl. Worked great. What's the difference with the orange? Reason I ask is I hit a hole and damaged one sensor and need to replace it.
Thanks

Old 03-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Orange is the brand not the color http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=55
No matter, it's cheap and every review I read was very positive. Not sure what TPS system your running but I did see sensors on ebay for a reasonable price: Ironically, they are orange ! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tire-...Q5fAccessories

Old 03-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Triple B is infamous around these parts
If your Cayenne is still under warrenty than only get N rated tires

N rated meets all Porsche specs.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:08 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Triple B
If your Cayenne is still under warrenty than only get N rated tires

N rated meets all Porsche specs.
what? Porsche factory warranty can be voided by using a different rated tire?

Old 03-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Orange is the brand not the color http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=55
No matter, it's cheap and every review I read was very positive. Not sure what TPS system your running but I did see sensors on ebay for a reasonable price: Ironically, they are orange ! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tire-...Q5fAccessories
Those orange ones on e-bay are the same ones I found. That's why when you said orange I figured orange color. oops.
My Cayenne has the factory TPMS system so I think I need to stay with the appropriate sensors. I think Berl makes the OEM units.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:25 PM
My warranty expired 2 months ago (i only have 17K miles but its an 05). I found a dealer that will CPO me for $2500 but I got tied up with other vehicle projects and did not lay it up for the certification. I am not sure if they will cert me after I get the car back as it's currently getting a pile of mods. Some dealers are complete sales dogs and will do it as long as the truck has no prior accidents. The funny thing is that I just saw a freshly CPO'ed CTT go for sale and it had a clear accident on its carfax from last year. Not sure what to expect from P dealers anymore.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Triple B is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by pcst
what? Porsche factory warranty can be voided by using a different rated tire?
Void No.......But we had to change our tires to get our trans problem fixed

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ved-tires.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Tire Speed Rating - Who is using less then Y?