Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Bumper modification idea

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 01:24 AM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
Bumper modification idea

So,, I've been thinking of getting the turbo front bumper, but after few days of thinking about it, I started to dislike it for some reason.

Instead, I got the idea from turbo bumper to trim down the mid section of the side grill areas, please refer to attached images;

I wonder how easy this can be done....

(L) original non-turbo bumper | (R) after removing the mid-section on both side grill areas

Attached Images   

Last edited by pcst; 03-21-2009 at 01:48 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:57 AM
lovethesport is infamous around these parts
it will look better with a aluminium bumper guard at the bottom

Old 03-21-2009, 09:15 AM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
+1 on the bumper guard

But if you really like the grill removal look, why not paint the pair of mid-section parts black instead of permanently modifying the bumper? It will achieve the look with half the effort and still maintain resale value if you ever need to sell the car.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:54 AM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
LOL - I did the same photoshop job on my 05 S! I was going to do it but decided I wanted something that made my S look very dif. If you want to do something inexpensive, just paint the midbar black like Strife suggested. You can have a bshop do it or you can do it yourself if your handy. If you want to do something a bit more aggressive, get the Jubily lower chin and paint the center bars too. It looks great and its relatively cheap - $800 + $230 for fogs+Paint + your labor to install. I went for the full Jubily nose and will be getting my truck back next week. I bought my nose from Vivid racing - These guys are excellent (see their sponsor link on the right). Here is the link to just the lower chin (the owner of vivid put this on his girls Cayenne): http://www.vividracing.com/forums/ga...p?i=7339&c=268

Here is what's being put on my Cayenne as we speak: http://s412.photobucket.com/albums/p...view=slideshow

I had to come up with a clever way of mounting the lights which was not that hard. I also had to make my own wiring harness which also was not that hard. Full nose or chin - working out the light mounts and wiring still applies. In any case, I will post completed pics when its done.
FYI - Body shop bill is about $1500 (waiting for final when its done) including mount and paint.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by roxboxxx
LOL - I did the same photoshop job on my 05 S! I was going to do it but decided I wanted something that made my S look very dif. If you want to do something inexpensive, just paint the midbar black like Strife suggested. You can have a bshop do it or you can do it yourself if your handy. If you want to do something a bit more aggressive, get the Jubily lower chin and paint the center bars too. It looks great and its relatively cheap - $800 + $230 for fogs+Paint + your labor to install. I went for the full Jubily nose and will be getting my truck back next week. I bought my nose from Vivid racing - These guys are excellent (see their sponsor link on the right). Here is the link to just the lower chin (the owner of vivid put this on his girls Cayenne): http://www.vividracing.com/forums/ga...p?i=7339&c=268

Here is what's being put on my Cayenne as we speak: http://s412.photobucket.com/albums/p...view=slideshow

I had to come up with a clever way of mounting the lights which was not that hard. I also had to make my own wiring harness which also was not that hard. Full nose or chin - working out the light mounts and wiring still applies. In any case, I will post completed pics when its done.
FYI - Body shop bill is about $1500 (waiting for final when its done) including mount and paint.

cant wait for you to post pics----looks like an amazing modification----

Old 03-21-2009, 11:35 AM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for your reply and suggestions, my Cayenne is already in black color, I just used the picture from online to give a better idea.

We typically keep my car for a long time, also have 10 yrs old BMW 528i which has 78k miles as of today w/ all possible options.
We are planning to keep this Cayenne for a long time.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Check this out, it's turbo bumper w/ air dam inserts made by some company.

See how the center grill mid-section has been removed.

Looks clean IMO.

Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2009, 12:25 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
That's sweet. Apparently you like the same thing i do, an aggressive open grill. With the nose off I now know why P has the upper slit on the Turbo which is very similar to the grill on the S. Take a close look at the picks I posted and you can see that the top section is basically an air scoop. To the right and left of the scoop are the tops of the air funnels that feed the air boxes. This is how Porsche was able to get fresh air uninterrupted (so to speak) into the engine. Its a decent design. As I have the EVO intakes in my garage waiting for install, the scoop is less important now. I will make sure I post pics and costs when I am done. Concerning keeping the car for ever, frankly, in America we think a 75K car is no good. I think that idea was shaped during the 70's and early 80's where most American car's were pretty much crap. BUT, look at the German cars from that error - many are still on the road. 300K miles on many Mercedes and what have you. If I really like the way my S comes out, I may go for a mileage record. I may also sell it right away at the height of its value and buy a used Turbo . . . . and then mod the turbo the same way. Not sure yet . .

Old 03-21-2009, 01:16 PM
katheikia is infamous around these parts
Hey guys any idea were i can find power under the hood for these, I would like to place them in the grill under the headlights to see how much it looks like the 09 Cayenne. They dont cost to much, so if they dont look right, I would pull them off.[/QUOTE]http://cgi.ebay.com/LED-BLUE-12V-STR...3286.m63.l1177

Old 03-21-2009, 07:04 PM
The easiest place is to just tap the fog light connectors. Here is a DYI I posted a while back: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=22955

Just use the part about removing the inner wheel well. You have to remove 4 Torque screws to pull the plastic well back. Once you do that you have clear access to the fog lights (1 on each side obviously). For my new fogs, I pealed back the plastic wire loom and then used wire taps http://www.midterminc.com/media/5601.gifto draw power (its a brown and white wire - constant 12V when the fogs are on). I ran a test of my fogs + 2 hella 55w bulbs (so a total of 165W draw) off one lead and saw no dip or flux in voltage. I also let it run for 1 hour to make sure that I would not fry the harness. All was well. I would use this as it will turn your LEDs on with the foglights and you do not need to run a sep switch. Concerning your light choice, you might want to go with LEDs that are allready in a plastic case. The link you sent is a flexible strip and I am sure it will not look clean. Check this guy out (its china but good feedback).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ultra...mZ180338163267

Old 03-22-2009, 04:54 PM
katheikia is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the info. I will do this soon and post pics...

Old 03-23-2009, 07:48 PM
ok buddy---waiting

Old 03-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Thanks for the feedback!

Old 03-27-2009, 12:24 AM
Just got this pic back from the body shop today and all I can say is DUDE! Picking the truck up on sat and then off to get its new 20". Will post pics on Monday. http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/p...Picture010.jpg

Old 03-27-2009, 08:00 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
damn looks sick! Need help on wheels?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bumper modification idea