Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne SuperSprint Performance Muffler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 12:07 PM
offroad911 is infamous around these parts
In preparation for the SuperSprint Performance Muffler installation, I spent about fifteen minutes with a buffing wheel & rouge eliminating the “brown crap” that bothered everyone except me, since it can’t be seen after install. I am pleased that I took the time as the muffler now sparkles. Probably won’t last since I do not intend to lie on the ground polishing the stainless steel after install.

Started the Cayenne SuperSprint Performance Muffler install at 6:00PM EDT. Did not remove the bumper or valence as there is more than adequate room to facilitate the removal and reinstallation without risking any damage. First action was to cut the stock tailpipe. The factory graciously places a "dimple" in the tailpipe to assist in locating a cut (verified this with Porsche tech). Used a reciprocating saw to cut the tailpipe on each side. Dropped the stock muffler after removing the isolation block mount bolts. Removed the Porsche Sport Tips.

Installed the SuperSprint supplied muffler hanger rods onto the SS muffler and installed the stock isolation blocks onto the hanger rods. Loosely installed the SS supplied stainless steel band clams onto the SS muffler tailpipers. Positioned the SS muffler, slid the muffler tailpipe flanges onto the stock tailpipes. Reinstalled the isolation blocks, checked the tailpipe to muffler flange fit and secured SS stainless steel clamps. Leveled the muffler (very slight left to right tilt) using the adjustments on the ends of the muffler hanger rods. Installed the Porsche Sport Tips onto the SS muffler, adjusted and secured.

I made one mistake – I did not cut the stock tailpipe short enough and that forces the muffler toward the rear, causing the Sport Tips to protrude about 1 ½” more than they should. I will fix this error tomorrow night.

Start to finish, 1 hour 15 minutes. Could do it now in 45 minutes! Fitment is excellent in all aspects. Tailpipe alignment, hanger position, muffler position are all excellent. Using the factory isolation blocks assures no transmitted resonance or rattles. I don’t have the actual weight reduction but my guess is in excess of 50 pounds!

The sound is significantly deeper at idle and barks under WOT. Not obnoxiously loud but very mature. A very deep, throaty V-8 sound which is exactly what I was looking for and I fully expect the sound to further “mature” with use. Throttle response is noticeably improved. Deceleration sound is now noticeable. Absolutely no increase in interior noise or resonance! In fact, only those behind you will benefit from the improved exhaust note. The shiny muffler is slightly visible and compliments the stainless steel skid plate on the front.

I enjoyed this installation more than any I have accomplished due to the quality of the SuperSprint fitment and supplied hardware. Tools required are 12mm, 13mm & 15mm socket, 6mm allen wrench, 12mm & 13mm wrench, long 3/8” extension, 3/8 air wrench or hand wrench, reciprocating saw or hack saw or band pipe cutter. Having a second set of hands will be very helpful due to the significant weight of the stock muffler and the need to fit and level the SS muffler.

I can’t imagine anyone who buys this system not being ecstatic with the fit, appearance and sound. My evaluation is two thumbs up and $1,500.00 well spent! Give Neil at Orton Performance a call, his product is worth your investment! www.ortonperformance.com

VIDEO & SOUND LINK http://www.bushtec.com/vids.html

Last edited by offroad911; 10-08-2004 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Boobie Stars
jamy85 is infamous around these parts
Congratz it sounds great

Old 10-07-2004, 12:31 PM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is infamous around these parts
I am downloading it!! great stuff and awesome writeup. Do they give tolerance on the installation of the muffler on where you cut the stock pipes? Because Techart gave me alot of room in case I cut it too short.

congrats again bro!! you da man!

Old 10-07-2004, 12:33 PM
DEETZ, The instructions from SuperSprint are minimal (and that is being generous). I estimated the first cut and that is why I missed the cut on the long side. Easily fixed, except I was too tired to correct it tonight. Thanks for the compliment!

Old 10-07-2004, 12:36 PM
TT
TT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of light
Offroad911-- that sounds MEAN!! So can you actually hear it well when it is just idling? Once again man thats awesome, enjoy it in good health!

Ryan T.

Old 10-07-2004, 12:39 PM
GO 6SPEED!
Techart didn't give us anything, the only thing I got is the bill.!! I love the sound! it sounds mean!! please make some more clips for us idle, moving and full throttle ^^ thanks! ^^ so this board has

Gemballa
SS
Techart
Cargraphic
Fabspeed

exhausts in all of our cars!! rock!!

Old 10-07-2004, 12:51 PM
Boobie Stars
Now we need some body kits hehe

Old 10-07-2004, 12:54 PM
GO 6SPEED!
Jamy: you can go first (the first one is the most modaholic in this Cayenne board)

Old 10-07-2004, 01:17 PM
Boobie Stars
hehe just give me a couple more months and ill be the first

Old 10-07-2004, 01:37 PM
TT
TT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of light
Hey Jamy any news on that speeding ticket you got? :P

Ryan T.

Old 10-07-2004, 02:00 PM
Boobie Stars
Not really I tried paying the ticket online yesterday and I got an email saying it was an invalid ticket number almost 3 weeks have passed so hopefully the cop misplaced my ticket lol

Old 10-07-2004, 02:07 PM
TT
How much was the fine? Sorry to ask but who pays your insurance? Your parents mad? lol

Ryan T.

Old 10-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Boobie Stars
Fine was $125. My parents don’t know about it because I go to college in Boston and they are not with me so that helps a lot lol. I have to pay for my insurance from my monthly allowance but technically they pay for it because it's my parents money.

Old 10-07-2004, 02:21 PM
TT
Good to hear!

Ryan T.

Old 10-08-2004, 11:39 PM
The SuperSprint Performance muffler has added yet one more benefit I had not expected, INCREASED FUEL MILEAGE. My first tank yielded an average 20% city/80% highway @ 80MPH of 18.1 MPG, which is up from 17.4. Muffler has a slightly deeper tone with the first 300 miles. Ecstatic with this MOD !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne SuperSprint Performance Muffler