Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne SuperSprint Performance Muffler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 01:19 PM
offroad911 is infamous around these parts
Cayenne SuperSprint Performance Muffler

Having decided that the next mod to my CS would be exhaust related, I started to add the FabSpeed Cat Bypass Pipes. Once I discussed this with my Porsche service advisor, I quickly backed away since the Cat Bypass Pipes violate the Federal Emissions laws (You cannot remove any emission related device), as well as a written advisory from PCNA regarding such items and their voiding warranties (I personally read the letter from PCNA!). I searched all posts related to exhaust systems from June 04. I visited other marquee boards to see whose systems were in favor. I researched, touched, held & listened to as many systems as possible either in person or by photos and sound clips. My personal criterion for a system has five goals;
1. Exceptional Build Quality
2. Long Term Reliability, Dependability
3. Value for dollar spent
4. Muscle car V-8 sound
5. Factory quality fitment

I decided on the Cayenne “S” SuperSprint Performance Muffler from Orton Performance (www.ortonperformance.com), a board sponsor. My decision is based, in part, on the fact that SuperSprint is a world renowned exhaust system manufacturer who is a favorite of the BMW crowd and has been manufacturing the Techart 996TT exhaust. The Techart 996TT system is EXACTLY the same system that SuperSprint offers, but at a $2,000.00 savings (exactly the same design, welds, material, ID tags). I don’t need to spend the most for any mod simply for bragging rights. I demand more from the mods I add and SuperSprint appeared, to me, to offer just such an opportunity. SuperSprint has not been a favorite among Porsche owners, primarily due to the fact that they have just recently begun offering Porsche systems under the SuperSprint brand. BMW owners have enjoyed SuperSprint systems for a number of years.

I received my Cayenne “S” SuperSprint Performance muffler on Friday. It was professionally packaged with cardboard protecting vital areas and wrapped in a heavy poly to protect finish quality. This system is not “rough looking” in appearance as some have noted. I can only surmise that this appearance opinion was based on very poor quality photos. In comparison, the SuperSprint CS Performance muffler offers a far better ascetic appearance when compared to the Gemballa.

The Cayenne “S” SuperSprint Performance muffler is a substantial system, exhibiting a high level of build quality. In the course of my business I have realized some expertise in metals and welding. SuperSprint utilizes quality stainless steel tube and sheet. Welds are precision and well fixtured. Construction & design are such that long life is assured. Even the supplied hardware is first quality. If the sound quality measures up to the build quality, the $1,500.00 street price will prove to be a bargain further enhanced by the ability to use the Porsche Sport Exhaust Tips I currently have installed..

Physical installation will take place Tuesday or Wednesday. I will post the installation process with photos and sound clips. Stay tuned!

Last edited by offroad911; 10-08-2004 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:31 PM
Boobie Stars
jamy85 is infamous around these parts
Congrats on ur new exhaust. But by paying $1500 they should at least have their muffler polished. The muffler doesnt look good and professionally made with that brown crap. Thats a major no no to anyone.

Old 10-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Banned by Moderators
SANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura aboutSANDOVAL has a spectacular aura about
Great write up John! I am axious to hear this muffler you are taking the leap for us. I would not have bought a muffler without hearing it first. I agree with Jamy along with the lack of a video / sound clip the brown weld seams look horrible. Not something I want to put on my CS. I also think the FabSpeed design and the Techart copy are much better looking with the set of mufflers.

As for the Catback warranty issues. Any modification made to your car including that Supersprint muffler could void your warranty. You could also big hit by a car tomorrow. You have to pay to play... Hopefully you have a good relationship with the service advisor.

Old 10-05-2004, 01:46 PM
The visible components of the SuperSprint are polished, unlike the Gemballa. Even the highly acclaimed Europipe has the "brown crap" you refer to, which by the way is a normal component of welding stainless steel.

Old 10-05-2004, 09:45 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
offroad911- your Cayenne looks great. The new wheels and new tips are very cool. Dont be detered on the catbypass pipes

FYI on any Cayenne "S" Twin Turbo or VW Touareg V8 the best value for more POWER & TORQUE is the eliminate the 2nd set of catalytic converters. There are 4 catalytic converters on all these cars and DELETING the second set will only add power and throttle response and no check engine light and you will pass emissions testing.

Dont let the one local Porsche dealer frighten you off...........if you want power and more sound anyone can install the bypass pipes. Its the cheapest and best modification for these cars.

Have a great day
Joe

Old 10-05-2004, 10:53 PM
psychoflex is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the info. Is there any downside to removing the 2ndary cats and installing the bypass pipes? I'm trying to weigh the plusses and minuses of doing this. The last thing I want to mess with is the ECU or warranty. Are HP increases on dynotest accurate for this mod? Thanx.

Old 10-05-2004, 10:54 PM
psychoflex is infamous around these parts
Also, Is there a noticeable difference in exhaust sound? Do you have a sound clip? Thanks again.

Old 10-05-2004, 11:01 PM
For clairifcation ONLY, I stated that installation of the CAT Bypass pipes violates the law, I did not state that installation of the CAT Bypass pipes alters the emissions. Why is it that no Porsche dealer will acknowledge installing the Cat Bypass pipes? Because it violates the Federal Emission laws and installation carries a hefty fine. Self installed Cat Bypass pipes make warranty issues become dependent on your relationship (or lack thereof) with your Porsche service team. Personally, I don't like to deal in "gray" areas.

Last edited by offroad911; 10-05-2004 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:22 AM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is infamous around these parts
great write up!! I agree with you, the muffler looks good for half the price of Techart, I hope it sounds as good as all other mufflers. Congrats!! Please update us with the sound clips

You don't really have to worry about the brown weld since none will be able to see it, thanks God the visible part is shinny!

Old 10-06-2004, 02:58 AM
DEETZ, Thank you for not condemming my choice of mods as others seem to relish in doing. Interestingly I spend fifteen minutes with a buffing wheel & rouge and the weld discoloration is now history. I will post photos later. Additional installation photos and sound clips upon final installation.

Old 10-06-2004, 03:01 AM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is infamous around these parts
John: that sounds great! Don't worry about it, two of my pipes turned yellow already the one that connects the muffler to the tips

I can't wait to hear the exhaust!! please install it today!!

Old 10-06-2004, 04:39 AM
TCM
TCM is infamous around these parts
Congratulations on the purcahse. I am sure you will be happy with your decision as SS always make quaity stuff. Please post some sound clips after the muffler is installed.

Old 10-06-2004, 04:41 AM
Fifteen minutes with a buffer and rouge and the "brown crap" that seemed to bother everybody but me is history !

Old 10-06-2004, 04:46 AM
Boobie Stars
jamy85 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by offroad911
Fifteen minutes with a buffer and rouge and the "brown crap" that seemed to bother everybody but me is history !
[/IMG]

hehe looks much better. Post some clips when you have it installed. good luck

Old 10-06-2004, 05:17 AM
Banned
Neil@Orton is infamous around these parts
John if you are not 100% satisfied with the muffler I will gladly give you a refund.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne SuperSprint Performance Muffler