Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Question- Braking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:53 PM
canberk is infamous around these parts
get the brembo conversion kit for $8k.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:55 PM
bcherry is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by canberk
get the brembo conversion kit for $8k.
I like the idea of bigger/better brakes (can they ever be strong enough?)... but isn't the CTT supposed to come with sick brakes as it is?

Old 05-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
my CTT brakes stop really good, but it squeaks louder than a bus.

If there is one reason that I will sell the CTT, it will be the noisy brakes, which the dealer said is normal.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:25 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
my CTT brakes stop really good, but it squeaks louder than a bus.

If there is one reason that I will sell the CTT, it will be the noisy brakes, which the dealer said is normal.

If your CTT is still under warranty, you are outta luck, but if it's outta warranty, you could try a different aftermarket pads.

The reason why I said *outta luck* is that, I was informed from Porsche dealer that my warranty *could* get voided by using the non-recommended brand/type of tires. Which goes along the same line, your brake system and who knows what they are going to blame for using the aftermarket brake pads...

Old 05-05-2009, 04:31 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
FYI - I am installing (all 4 corners) new Hawk Ceramics and Cross-Drilled / Slotted rotors / all new hardware + flush the fluid on my 05 this weekend. I have the same sensation when they start heating up. I don't feel that subsequent pumps are anywhere near as effective. After this is done i will post my full experience with pics, etc.
In addition to this, I REALLY want to change the brake lines for Stainless Steel but the only place I have found them is on Fleabay out of singapore. If I can find a decent set from a reputable seller, I will upgrade that also. My past experience with SS lines is that it gets rid of the sponginess in hard braking conditions.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:34 PM
bmwm506 is infamous around these parts
I believe your tires are too tall should have a smaller profile like a 285/35/22 or a 285/30/22

Old 05-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by bmwm506
I believe your tires are too tall should have a smaller profile like a 285/35/22 or a 285/30/22
Yes... i edited the first post, i have 285/35R22. Thanks.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by roxboxxx
FYI - I am installing (all 4 corners) new Hawk Ceramics and Cross-Drilled / Slotted rotors / all new hardware + flush the fluid on my 05 this weekend. I have the same sensation when they start heating up. I don't feel that subsequent pumps are anywhere near as effective. After this is done i will post my full experience with pics, etc.
In addition to this, I REALLY want to change the brake lines for Stainless Steel but the only place I have found them is on Fleabay out of singapore. If I can find a decent set from a reputable seller, I will upgrade that also. My past experience with SS lines is that it gets rid of the sponginess in hard braking conditions.
Can't wait to see/hear about the results.

Where did you get the parts? how much? are you doing the install yourself?

Separately, when something (like 3rd party parts/upgrades) "voids" your warranty, does it void the whole thing or just the parts changed?

Old 05-06-2009, 12:26 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
Bcherry - I have another thread going on this where I provide more details. Here is the link: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne/168486-new-pads-looking-recommendation-2.html#post2359255

Concerning the labor, while I can do it myself, I am also painting my calipers so I need the car in the air for at least 2 days. Fortunately I have a buddy that owns a shop so it's in the air on Saturday for the tear-down, calipers painted on Sat, reassemble on Monday. I also have updated pics on the rotors that I will post shortly. I will prob just start a new thread when everything is done just so its focused on brakes ( the other threads are mixed topic).

Concerning warranty voids - I am the worst guy to ask as I have moded my truck well beyond OEM recognition. However, I believe the sentiment of the boards concerning warranties has always been dealer dependant. Some dealers
are cool with simple mods like cat bypass, and some are not. The more aggressive the mod and the bigger the warranty issue, cool or not, most dealers will balk. For example, if you change from OEM pads and the caliper goes
bad, you have a good case. If you changed from OEM pads, paint the calipers, change the brake lines and install slotted rotors, and then have a caliper go bad, you prob will have a fight on your hands.

Last edited by roxboxxx; 05-06-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Seano is infamous around these parts
How's the pedal feel? Should be rock-solid in the Cayenne ... if not, brake flush might really help.

Just had rotors & pads installed + flushed the brakesbon my '04S . The brakes have always been pretty grabby on this truck, but I feel like I could have tossed myself out the windshield last night when I picked it up. Haven't tried it at high speed yet, but have never felt brake fade before (and I do run it quite hard from time to time).

In comparison, last month I put Hawk pads + slotted dba rotors on all four corners of my Audi S6 Avant... can't say I'm sold on 'em. They came highly reccomended and are supposed to be better than stock, but they make every day driving a bit of a pain and only seem to grab once they've been heated. Heard from the shop that put them on for me that they had someone with a Land Rover have the same issue and they replaced with OEM. I'm considering running back in and putting OEM pads back, too - which is why I went with all OEM stuff on the Cayenne.

I'll be VERY interested to hear how roxboxx makes out, too

Old 05-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Yeah me too Hope I don't have to pull apart my work again, as it took a full day just to paint the rotors. Also hope my buddy has the lift free as I was supposed to have had it done already.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Update:

I have not done the flush yet (it's my daily driver and hard to get rid of for even a day or two).

I saw a very long clear stretch on the freeway the other day, got it up to about 120, and had to brake pretty hard, coming up on traffic in front of me. Well, they were SOLID for about a half a second (going from 120-105ish) then, once they heated up i'm assuming, just DISAPPEARED... I mean like FREAKY "i don't know if i'll stop on time" feeling. They were so soft, absolute mush. Well i did slow down with enough room, but it was the first time i felt such a DISTINCT difference from solid to mush....

I gotta get this flush done and see what happens... stay tuned :-)

Old 06-01-2010, 03:29 PM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
Did you ever get the flush..............I am having similar problems on new brakes and rotors with about 10k of very soft driving on them.........never had it flushed and can assume the this would help along with break cleaner sprayed on the brake and rotor.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:19 PM
yes, i got it flushed, twice... unfortunately there was very little, if any, difference. I ended up changing over to slotted/drilled rotors (R1 Concepts) and Hawk ceramic pads, thinking that this would do the trick... again no difference. at that point i took it into the dealer for a "one last chance" look over, and they said the same thing "it feels like it should". Then i ask if i could hop in one of their used trucks there on the lot... HUGE difference, i left them scratching their heads, not really wanting to dive into now that i have after market rotors and pads on. They actually quoted me something like $2000 to get it back to factory just so they could diagnose what was up.

So i have basically lived with it this whole time. I just have to give a good pump before any heavy stops. I still worry about emergency stops, will it slow down fast enough, thankfully i've never had to try it out. I've kinda given up, every once in a while i'll search the internet for someone with similar issues and there is nothing... not sure what to do...

Let me know what you find out... I have had a hunch that it is a brake booster issue but have not been able to get anyone to test it.

Take care and good luck.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Tlar88 is infamous around these parts
Have the tech check the piston. I have the same problem and they overhaul callipers and problem solved.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question- Braking