Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Question- Braking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 09:59 AM
bcherry is infamous around these parts
Question- Braking

Hello all...

I'm new to the forums and I hope that you may be able to provide some help for me.

I purchased my '05 CTT with 30k miles on it last November. First I want to say that I LOVE IT! It is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned and am VERY pleased with just about everything to do with it.

When researching what SUV to get, one of the main reasons I chose the Cayenne was it's purportedly stellar braking distances (for its weight and size). I really wanted my wife to feel as safe as possible on the roads (as well as peace of mind for me KNOWING she was safe) and have the performance advantage (whenever I get the itch to push it).

Well... let me say that i have been nothing but confused over the braking.

1. they have never really "felt" right. Heated up or otherwise the ONLY time (both feet on the pedal pushing as hard as I can) I can feel the ABS working is in the snow. They really "grab" let along lock up.

2. I did an impromptu "test" about a month ago. It is very unofficial (I did not have a measuring tape). But, after heating up the breaks, did a full stop from 60 mph. I "paced" off about 230ft... that's just not right, right? By comparison, i did the same thing with my '99 BMW 528i and it came up with about 130ft. They should be similar numbers right?

3. I have taken it to the dealership 3 times with all these same observations. All 3 times they have said (after much back and forth debating) "yes, your vehicle is functioning fine" "a tech, who drives these all the time, took yours out and it feels normal" "we'll call you when we have another used on one the lot so that you can drive them both side-be-side" (haven't called yet BTW). They have been very professional and competent with everything else I have asked them to do for our baby, I have had no reason to doubt their assessment of the brakes (other than my own instincts/observations).

4. Some info about it that may apply...
4a. It APPEARS to have original rotors (slight wear, I'd say about a 2-3mm lip at the top) I do not know this for sure though. Good, healthy thickness on the pads too.
4b. No noise/squeaking. Ever.
4c. I have 285/45R22 on all 4 corners with brand new Toyo Proxes STII
4d. Brake fluid levels fine.

Any and all advice/help would be very appreciated (thanks in advance )

-Brett

PS- Where did the name "pepper" for the Cayenne come from?

EDIT: 285/35R22

Last edited by bcherry; 05-14-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:08 AM
ChkbookMechanic is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bcherry
PS- Where did the name "pepper" for the Cayenne come from?
Cayenne is a pepper.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Duh...

as soon as I read your reply---> "you idiot, you could have figured that out"...

thanks

Old 04-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Don't feel bad, it happens to the best of us.

I haven't had my CTT too long so I can't comment on what a good vs. bad braking feel is supposed to be. On the braking, you don't want to feel the ABS kicking in, at that point you've lost your maximum braking potential and should actually back off the brakes a tad.

As far as the distances, the magazine tests say 60-0 braking should be 112ft, but I don't know how repeatable or truthful that is and also don't know which tires they were running.

Good luck on getting it resolved.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:46 AM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
By comparing my BMW 5 series versus Porsche Cayenne S, it feels like CS breaks are much sensitive than BMW 5 series breaks.
How do I know? my wife started to complaint about me breaking hard on CS, which I've never noticed 'til she mentioned it.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:51 PM
thank you for your replies.

RE the ABS, I understand what you are saying. I brought it up to reference the fact that no matter HOW hard I press, it NEVER locks (or activates ABS, whatever way you want to look at it)

A thought that I have had that may be a solution... I believe the CTT uses a brake booster... is there any way to "test" whether it is working or not. Will it show up as a code if tested? I am wondering if it may have gone bad, the feel of the peddle just "feels" like it's all my own strength pushin' it.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by pcst
By comparing my BMW 5 series versus Porsche Cayenne S, it feels like CS breaks are much sensitive than BMW 5 series breaks.
How do I know? my wife started to complaint about me breaking hard on CS, which I've never noticed 'til she mentioned it.
thank you for this comparison... it's what I was expecting when I got the "pepper"!!!

and from what I understand (forgive me if I'm wrong) the CTT has even bigger brakes than the CS, which would imply better stopping power, right?

Old 04-30-2009, 01:23 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by bcherry
and from what I understand (forgive me if I'm wrong) the CTT has even bigger brakes than the CS, which would imply better stopping power, right?

Yes, that's what my impression has been so far.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Bump.... any ideas?

Old 05-01-2009, 10:02 AM
I don't know how much this could help, but have you had a brake fluid flush recently?

Old 05-01-2009, 10:23 AM
no... I considered it and the (st)ealership recommended it. I'm not sure, like you, how much of a difference it would make, so I haven't done it. Maybe I should try it.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:27 PM
ryan79 is infamous around these parts
Have it changed for sure.. I've had mine changed 3 times all ready ( I have about 43,000 miles on it).
It would certainly improve brake line pressure/pedal response.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the advice. I've scheduled to get it flushed.

Has anybody else who is running 22s seen a change in performance (better or worse); braking, acceleration, cornering, etc?

Old 05-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Vekto911 is just really niceVekto911 is just really niceVekto911 is just really niceVekto911 is just really nice
switch to PCCB? (porsche ceramic compound brakes)

Old 05-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by hovy82
switch to PCCB? (porsche ceramic compound brakes)
Will they work with an '05? that'd be the answer right there!

Last edited by bcherry; 05-05-2009 at 01:29 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question- Braking