Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Dension Gateway 500 Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 05:03 PM
ChkbookMechanic is infamous around these parts
Dension Gateway 500 Install

Since people are talking about the Dension Gateway, I figured now would be as good a time as any to show my install of the Gateway into my CTT.

NOTE: This is pretty long since I describe how I fabricated a custom bracket to hold the GW500.

As I was waiting for it to arrive I did some poking around the Cayenne forums to see how other people had installed the Gateway 500 and if there were any hitches in installing it into the car. I saw that there were basically two options: install in the rear passenger side in the same compartment as the cd changer or install behind the PCM head unit at the front of the car. I decided I really didn’t want to pull out the PCM head unit to install the Gateway there, I focused on the rear passenger side compartment with the cd changer is mounted.

Looking around the cubby hole, there was no nice place to mount the Gateway and letting the Gateway and the associated devices flap around in the back didn’t seem like a good idea. So, being an engineer, I made use of my skills. I started by getting some cardboard and marking three holes where the cd changer screws mount the cd changer to the mounting bracket. Doing this allowed me to keep the cd changer in tact if I ever decided to get one and two it was a really damn nice mounting point for everything. After this, I played with arranging the Gateway and its associated components onto the cardboard cutout.

Once I thought the layout was satisfactory, I mounted all of the components onto the cardboard and took it out for a test fitting. I placed the mockup into the Cayenne and I found out I could cut an additional two inches off of the cardboard for a better fit, so I did. With the test fit complete it was time to create the bracket. A quick visit to Home Depot netted me some bolts, washers, nuts and some shiny aluminum. Using the cardboard cutout I drilled holes into the metal and then filed away all the resulting metal spurs and shavings to make it nice and smooth.

The next step was to paint the aluminum, for which I used good old Krylon spray paint. I could have left the aluminum unfinished but felt painting it black would allow it to retain a stock look. Once the spray paint dried, I began transferred the Gateway 500 and its components onto the new bracket. This went as planned but then I realized I needed some simple cable management. I solved this by fabricating an Adel clamp since I couldn’t find one large enough at any of the auto or home improvement stores. I then attached the Adel clamp to the bracket and bundled the wires up and held them in place with the Adel clamp. At this point the bracket and Gateway 500 were ready to be installed into the car.

Of course, there was a tiny little problem; getting constant unswitched 12V power to the device. Luckily, the cigarette lighter at the back of the car had a constant 12v unswitched wire running to it. After a few minutes of pulling panels, I got to the wiring harness that supplied the correct power to it. I then tapped into the 12v and ground wires and attached the Gateway’s power cables to it. After a quick test confirming the 12v to both the power cable and the lighter, I closed back up the panels and tidied up before finally installing the Gateway into the car.

Installing the Gateway was as simple as using three bolts and lock nuts to secure it to the cd changer bracket and then plugging in the MOST cables and power cables to it. Once it was all wired up, the real test began. Does the car actually start and recognize the device? After a turn of the key, the answer was yes. So I plugged in my iPod touch and my car began to play the music that was on my iPod. Success!

Attached Images   
Old 04-30-2009, 05:40 PM
mudman2 is infamous around these parts
Wow, glad I got Mobridge

Old 04-30-2009, 06:20 PM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
And.... why would that be? Kind of a worthless post.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by mudman2
Wow, glad I got Mobridge
I could have installed it just like the Mobridge, I decided not to.

I wanted to have all of the audio equipment in the rear of the car, since on my way to work I put all my bags in the back area underneath the shade, plugging in the iPod isn't that big of a deal. Plus, with the way I made it, when I want to add a CD changer all I need to do is undo 3 bolts, put in the changer, put the screws through the panel and then into the cd changer and run the additional MOST bus cable that came with the Gateway 500 to the CD Changer.

Last edited by ChkbookMechanic; 04-30-2009 at 08:53 PM. Reason: added more information
Old 05-03-2009, 08:34 PM
bmwm506 is infamous around these parts
Great info

Old 05-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by bmwm506
Great info
Thanks, I know the post is a little long winded but I wanted to at least explain exactly what I did if someone else was getting into that DIY mode.