Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne S search - am I looking for a needle in haystack?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:59 AM
mb230s is infamous around these parts
Cayenne S search - am I looking for a needle in haystack?

Greetings all - 1st post. I'm strongly considering a Cayenne S to replace my 2002 G500. I love the G but the extended warranty recently expired and since my truck was built during the dark days of the DC merger I'm scared to own it much longer. In a perfect world (or a better economy) I'd probably just buy another G but the hitch attachment point has been eliminated on the 09 MY (dumb!) and I've heard bad things about the new 7G transmission that has been used the previous couple years in the NA G500/550. I'll keep my eye out for a nicely cared for 2008 G55 AMG in a few years when they come down in price.

The Cayenne is the only other SUV option I'd consider. It has style, good build quality, good driving dynamics, and a high tow rating.

Here is what I want -
Cayenne S
2005 or 2006 sold in 2006 - probably want it CPO
2006 sold in 2007 - standard warranty OK
under 35K miles (will go higher for CPO truck)
one of the silver or gray colors
tow package (read on this forum that adding the hitch/wiring is a PITA)
18" rims (would buy truck with bigger rims and then swap for 18"s)
navigation (nice to have)
bluetooth phone (could add aftermarket)
bone stock - no mods
no body kits that would interfere with offroading (ground clearance or width)

I've been trolling the Porsche, Cars.com, Autotrader, and eBay and haven't had much luck. I see CSs priced at $35K-$40K, which seems like an excellent price, but usually white or black. The silver and gray colors seem to be rare - which is odd b/c usually a high % of German cars are painted silver.

Is what I want a rare combo of options? Did Porsche not make many in silver or gray?

Thanks

(Kerr and Marco - I might be joining you over here!)

Old 06-03-2009, 07:55 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
Dude - check my past posts. I have a 2005 Cs silver with gray interior. Spent 4 months trying to find a low millage clean vehicle. My persistence paid off as I found a Mint, just off lease with only 16,000 miles - BONE STOCK. You just have to keep looking. I found mine on autotrader. When you check everyday, you know when a new one goes up. Prob 40% of whats up is already sold. Thats why you need to keep watching it for a while. Calling the dealers and asking them to find one is useless, so dont bother there.

Concerning Bluetooth - No stock - you will have to aftermarket it. Also, Most 05's are off CPO so you want an 06. No diff in quality, just the option of having the CPO.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:50 AM
ONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud of
things must be different stateside, as our S model comes with navigation as standard and tow bar?
good luck with your search.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:27 AM
If I wanted to deal with the hassles of black my search would probably be over. Amazing that there are so few silver or gray metallics available in the Chicago area.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:03 PM
ONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud of
i have a silver cayenne, but wanted a white one....could i find one...not a chance but there are loads of black here also?

Old 06-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by ONE234
i have a silver cayenne, but wanted a white one....could i find one...not a chance but there are loads of black here also?
White seems to be in abundance also - not as numerous as black but many more than silver.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Kerr is infamous around these parts
I Love mine, but still miss the old box.

I have what you looking for in a 06 twin turbo but no extended warranty and it has 62K miles. Also has about $10K worth of porsche parts on it and a Tubi cat back exhaust. Id let go for $42K, or you can make an offer..

Pm or e mail if you want some info on it.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Kerr
I Love mine, but still miss the old box.

I have what you looking for in a 06 twin turbo but no extended warranty and it has 62K miles. Also has about $10K worth of porsche parts on it and a Tubi cat back exhaust. Id let go for $42K, or you can make an offer..

Pm or e mail if you want some info on it.
Kerr,

Good to see you around! I'm going NA - turbos scare me. S, GTS, or Syberia are all I'm interested in. With my wallet only the S fits.

(not enough posts to PM)

If you want to get back into the box - I'll sell you my 02. A fraction of the problems you had!

Old 06-05-2009, 08:07 PM
turbos are not all that bad. 90% of the people that have problems do dumb stuff to kill the turbos,

also once you ride on with boost you will be hooked! the pull for 0-to 70ish probably isnt that much quicker than a S but the slow speed passing and over taking on the high way are awsome. Mine actully feels stronger in 3ed and 4th gear than it does in fist and second. Im telling its you, Siliver on black, tow package, nav, bluetooth, sirius, 20" sport wheels, carben fiber steering wheels and the list goes on. lol

Id love another another but i will not go down that road with MB product ever again unless i have unlimited funds so i can just trade when it breaks, or unless i get one for like $5.00 lol...

Old 06-05-2009, 08:33 PM
ocheadhunter is infamous around these parts
I've got your color, but no nav, no tow. Not exactly what you're looking for, but it's a 2005 CS with 28K mi., 21" or 20" wheels and porsche body kit. I've been thinking about getting something bigger.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by ocheadhunter
I've got your color, but no nav, no tow. Not exactly what you're looking for, but it's a 2005 CS with 28K mi., 21" or 20" wheels and porsche body kit. I've been thinking about getting something bigger.
Too many cons. I need the tow package, smaller rims (Just destroyed a rim today from a pothole. Big rims with low profile tires in Chicago is idiotic.), and no body kit.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:47 PM
ocheadhunter is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mb230s
Too many cons. I need the tow package, smaller rims (Just destroyed a rim today from a pothole. Big rims with low profile tires in Chicago is idiotic.), and no body kit.
That's what i figured. Just thought I'd run it by. g/l with your search! Something will come up.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:25 AM
If it was me and i had your luck with the boxes id be in a G55K and never look back.

Also i havent read much on this or even searched... but i towed with the cayenne saturday.. Just to home depot. got 30 6x16 boards. and 6 X 6 X 8 post to fix the fence. anyway the porsches plug is in the bumper, Correct plug in adaptor for my trailer, But when plugged in the trailer running, turn or parking lights dont work.. Also i havent found where a brake controller goes.. Just seems strange all the electrical in the armada, and sububran work on the trailer but porsche is different.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by Kerr
If it was me and i had your luck with the boxes id be in a G55K and never look back.

Also i havent read much on this or even searched... but i towed with the cayenne saturday.. Just to home depot. got 30 6x16 boards. and 6 X 6 X 8 post to fix the fence. anyway the porsches plug is in the bumper, Correct plug in adaptor for my trailer, But when plugged in the trailer running, turn or parking lights dont work.. Also i havent found where a brake controller goes.. Just seems strange all the electrical in the armada, and sububran work on the trailer but porsche is different.
Eventually I think I will be back in the "box" but with the 2009s having the hitch mount removed b/c of the bigger gas tank protection and problems with the 7G tranny in the G550 (and newer G500s) I've got to buy a used AMG one. The 2008 G55Ks are just too expensive right now.

I did find a 2005 Turbo with 56K miles priced at just under $34K. Metallic gray, black interior, most options but doesn't look to have the clearance body kit that hurts the ground clearance. Local - I may go look at it. I'm afraid I may like it too much.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Drove a 2008 V6 Cayenne last night. The earlier V6s I drove were underpowered. While the V8 would be better, there are some ridiculously good deals on NEW 2008 V6s. I wonder if I might be better off buying a new V6 vs. an 05/06 V8?

06 Cayenne S V8
340 HP w/ 310 ft-lbs

08 Cayenne V6
290 HP w/ 273 ft-lbs

I also drove a 08 Cayenne S V8 (385 hp w/ 369 ft-lbs) - honestly I was expecting more of a difference between the V6 and V8. It was quicker, but I expected more.

Driving home in my G500 (292 hp w/ 336 ft-lbs) I was surprised that my G feels faster than both the 2008 V6 and the V8 even though it weighs more and has the aerodynamics of a brick. No stopwatch analysis - just seat of the pants opinion.

Now I'm confused! I thought this was going to be an easy purchase - just a matter of finding the right color/option combo.

(I also drove a G55K yesterday - what a monster!!! )

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne S search - am I looking for a needle in haystack?