Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.
View Poll Results: Would you purchase a demo/loaner vehicle?
Sure
29.41%
Never
23.53%
Only if there was a huge discount
47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

What do you guys think about demos?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:51 AM
RabidPorsche is infamous around these parts
What do you guys think about demos?

Hey guys,

I'm looking at a Cayenne V6 (My First Porsche).

So originally I was going to look at '08s because of my budget, but the dealer offered me 10% off MSRP for a 2009 demo/loaner off the bat, without negotiation. It has 10,000km on it and is less than a year old. It has basic options like moonroof, navigation, 18" wheels, nothing else worth mentioning, but is all i need.

Good or Bad...What do you guys think?

I was going to put in a offer for 15% off Sticker...or should I aim for a higher discount?
I'm in Canada so I'm not sure what the invoice/markups/holdbacks are here compared to US.

Last edited by RabidPorsche; 06-05-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:13 AM
rubin is infamous around these parts
Demo's are fine but I'd only be interested if I'm leasing (that way I'm not married to it if it's been abused) and heavily discounted! 15% is not good enough. I just leased a 2009 CS Demo (7,800 miles) for 25% Sticker or $9,700 BELOW Invoice. Keep dealing.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by rubin
Demo's are fine but I'd only be interested if I'm leasing (that way I'm not married to it if it's been abused) and heavily discounted! 15% is not good enough. I just leased a 2009 CS Demo (7,800 miles) for 25% Sticker or $9,700 BELOW Invoice. Keep dealing.
I hear you. I figured with the warranty I would be covered if it has been abused...and they are giving extra 2 years warranty on top.

How would you justify to the dealer an offer of 25% off sticker?

And since this is a '09...and I have heard the '10s are going to be drastically different from the previous models, could I use that as a bargaining chip?

Old 06-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
2010 Cayenne will be exactly the same as 2009. The new ones will be out maybe 2011.

The mileage that the demo has is too much. If you treat it like a one year owned car, the depreciation should be much more than 10%. At this price, why not look for a 2008 Cayenne S?

Old 06-05-2009, 11:11 AM
That's a good point. But I liked the '09s for teh new technology they have like the Nav system, bluetooth, and the LEDs....

I think the car is a demo/service loaner.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Bruin Pcar is infamous around these parts
15% off is essentially just below breakeven for the dealer on a "new" vehicle, right?

Do a search, but I think somewhere on here someone mentioned that there is a 10% margin in there (reduced by Porsche USA last year), and 3-5% hold back/back end profit to the dealer. If the car is a demo, the dealer must have some type of reserve set aside recognizing that they will need to sell the car for less. You also have the Porsche incentive going for new (and demo'd) Porsche's... if you step up to the S, I believe the discount was like 5K (6.5K for GTS and TT). I believe there was a much lower discount on the non-S.

Based on that, you should be able to do at least 20% or more off on an '09 S demo. Contact a few more dealers, leave some offers and see what happens! 2010 model is around the corner, so dealers will want to start moving the '09s if you don't want on '08 (there are a still a handful of those left too). Good luck!

Old 06-05-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm in Canada,,.....do you guys know if the dealer's here have the same markups? It is an official Porsche dealer...so I am guessing he buys from Porsche.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Bruin Pcar is infamous around these parts
I would imagine so... but will defer to those with a bit more history/experience.

Still a newbie as well, but that is what I found when searching for mine in the U.S.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
buying the demo is fine, especially since its just a Cayenne V6, I really doubt there has been any abuse going on with it.
Second, put in the offer of 25% off and see if they accept, if not you just work your way up from there...

Old 06-05-2009, 01:04 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
I think demo is perfectly a fine vehicle to buy, the problems I've seen with demo vehicles are the dealers aren't willing to lower the price much.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
I think you are right.

I contacted a dealer in my area today and inquired about what he has available. I mentioned i "know" guys that have gotten 10% off MSRP for new and that's what I am looking for. He told me 10% is somewhat aggressive but they will definitely come "very close" to that.

So like you guys said, I should be looking for at least 20% off MSRP for a demo with 6000 miles on it.

BTW the dealer's here were offering discounted prices on their '09 demos off the bat. It was 13% for a Cayenne S and 10% for Cayenne V6.

THANKS!

Old 06-05-2009, 02:38 PM
porscheaudifam is infamous around these parts
I believe demos are like rentals - stay away; dealer turns them on, run them fast and hard when cold! Just to show of to the customer and then the customer goes and drives it.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:30 PM
GATORFAN is infamous around these parts
My dealer has a NEW 2008 Carrera S cabriolet priced at $20,000 off sticker price. The Cayenne @ 10,000 miles should fetch a deal in the 25% to 30% off range!

Old 06-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by porscheaudifam
I believe demos are like rentals - stay away; dealer turns them on, run them fast and hard when cold! Just to show of to the customer and then the customer goes and drives it.
Just my 2 cents.
Porscheaudifame - I understand what you mean by the way those cars are treated. I'm new at this and was wandering that, even if something was wrong with the car wouldn't my warrant cover it anyways. And I can always get the dealer to include the next big service with the purchase, maybe even gets thourogh inspection by an indy?

Old 06-05-2009, 05:25 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
I doubt Porsche owners treat the loaner vehicles like that badly. I mean, think about it, how bad can you treat them really?

They might have pressed the gas pedal little harder but so do we?

Just my $.02

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think about demos?