Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2010 Cayenne - Who's in?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 05:22 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
top down

Since the Cayenne is looking more like a Porsche, when can we expect a convertible?

Old 06-07-2009, 12:35 PM
mb230s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SeattleBum
The tax deduction sucks now. Not as beneficial as it was a few years ago. It'll be even worse soon.
The roughly 18 month period where up to $100K could be written off in year one was nice - but back at the "old" level of $25K is still a nice benefit. If the new Cayenne is below 6000lb GVWR and/or the tow rating suffers - I won't buy one.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:54 PM
TT
TT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of light
I personally much prefer the "facelifted" (ie MY 09+) version to this conceptual one due to be released in 2010 as a MY 2011.

I was speaking to several individuals at my local dealer about this a couple of days ago, and from what they have gathered thus far it is only going to be a smaller version of the Cayenne (think of the BMW X3 compared to the X5). I agree in saying that the Cayenne is already small enough, but there is a market out there for it if you consider how successful the X3 has been for BMW when you take into mind the college students and such.

I'm pretty confident they are just offering an additional model to the Cayenne lineup, not replacing it.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Roller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to beholdRoller is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rduffyt
I'm pretty confident they are just offering an additional model to the Cayenne lineup, not replacing it.
While a X3 compeititor is possible there are plenty of reasons it will be a replacement, not an addition to the Porsche SUV line up.

1. Like mentioned before, the Cayenne is due for replacement, it's old.

2. New strict emissions regulations makes saving weight more intresting then ever.

3. Having as many SUV's as sports coupes in the line up may harm the image of Porsche as a sports car maker.

4. While there are hardcore sport versions of the X5 (M), ML (AMG), Cayenne (Turbo) and Q7 (V12), there's no such offering in the small premium SUV segment. This leads me to believe there is no market for this.

5. I see no reason why a slighlty smaller platform would not be able to equal the Cayenne's towing capacity, given Porsche's engineering know-how.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:19 PM
FLB03TT is infamous around these parts
I'm skeptical that the tow rating could be maintained with the shorter wheelbase and lighter weight 2011 model, as shown above. Towing relatively short, light loads would be fine. Loads of 25 ft.+ / 6000 lbs.+ would be a little scary. I think you could have the tail wagging the dog under certain road conditions.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:27 PM
mb230s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Roller
5. I see no reason why a slighlty smaller platform would not be able to equal the Cayenne's towing capacity, given Porsche's engineering know-how.
Simple physics has a lot to do with it. Wheelbase and length have a huge effect on tow rating.

Last edited by mb230s; 06-09-2009 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-10-2009, 08:42 AM
amalamud is infamous around these parts
very cool!

Old 06-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
may get one for my wife.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
the link pictures are closer - the door mounted mirrors seems to be a new thread for design.

i do not like the back windows which look quite Hondo Pilot like - note the old Cayenne shape is just a chalk line to fool the eye.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:18 AM
mattjtaylor50 is infamous around these parts
+1 i like, and i bet pictures don't do justice.
the interior will be swank
looks like a mix between 955/957 (round headlights , front bumper scoops)

how much smaller is it?

Old 06-11-2009, 10:33 AM
A little bit of speculation on the MY 2011 Cayenne and it's various VW Group siblings.

Porsche is a majority shareholder (owner) of VW, presently with a 51% interest. They are in the process of attempting to purchase VW outright, which may or may not happen due primarily to the current financing environment. Audi is the luxury division of VW. Essentially, Porsche, VW and Audi are the same company with 3 divisions.

The MY 2011 Cayenne is based on the Panamera platform. It appears that elements of the dash and center console are shared, as well.

So here's my take on what we will see in the next 12-24 months from the Porsche/VW/Audi Group-

- MY 2011 Cayenne- Similar to spy shot / renderings above. Based on Panamera Unibody platform. Think Panamera SUV. The current truck framed Cayenne will no longer be available in Porsche trim.

-MY 2011 Touareg / Q7- These vehicles will be approximately the same size as current models, They will retain the body on truck frame construction and commensurate towing, offroad, and cargo carrying ability. The Q7 will be a luxury version of the Touareg.

Ideally a Porsche should not share a platform with VW or Audi. To my knowledge this has never happened prior to the Cayenne /Touareg introduction. Some may argue that the Porsche 914 was "supposed" to be a VW, but that didn't ultimately happen. The creation of the Panamera gave Porsche the platform necessary for the true 2nd generation Cayenne and, more importantly, the 1st true "Porsche" SUV.

As much as I like all that the MY2011 Cayenne should be- lighter, faster, better handling- more Porsche like- my needs are such that the current model is a better choice. But there certainly is a place for both Cayenne formats across the Porsche/VW/Audi line.

If my hunch is correct, and please understand that this is PURE SPECULATION, the new Cayenne will "cleanse" the Porsche product line of a very un-Porsche like product and replace it with a vehicle more deserving the Porsche crest.

Porsche/VW/Audi Group will have every market and product segment served (with the exception of a pick-up truck- Heaven Forbid!!) and each marque will have the appropriate offerings across their respective line.

-

Old 06-11-2009, 02:16 PM
minira is infamous around these parts
If the Porsche VAG group would come out with a truck it would be VW since they had a concept but scratched the idea because of the economy.

anywho, nicely put FLB03TT. The 914 was supposed to be a VW but they changed their minds last minute. I think the current 957's are beautiful looking and it's hard to judge with testing photos, but I'm sure Porsche will make this next cayenne very capable of competing with the other sporty suv's out there. That X6 is just horrible imho.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:41 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
I prefer a real SUV not a xover.

I insisted to have 2006 Cayenne, instead of face lifted version 08+, since it was the 1st ever SUV released by Porsche and at the same time wanted to have the latest built version. Planning on keeping this baby for a long time.

I'm sure the new ones will be pretty good, but I would defer it since it won't be a full SUV platform.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Apparently I spoke too soon- In today's autospies.com newsletter I read that VW will be releasing their first pick-up truck next year. It will be called AMAROK, which I believe means "You've got to be f#*+ing kidding" in Swahili.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:05 PM
TT
TT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of light
This thread is getting kind of depressing for me.

I need to hurry up and get my hands on a 2010 Cayenne Turbo S build slot as it will be the last of the best if the above holds true. I personally prefer the heavy, truck like aspects of the Cayenne as it current is and I'm assuming its going to lose those qualities if it is based on the Panamera platform.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 Cayenne - Who's in?