Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne, built to last?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 12:47 AM
kyeguy82 is infamous around these parts
Cayenne, built to last?

I love my Cayenne. I got it used with about 60k miles on it. Before I started using it as a daily driver, I took it to RSS to get serviced and fix all of the lil bugs with the car. The car was in no accidents, but needed some work: replace driveshaft, trunk shock, rear rotors and pads. I even added th BMC filters and Cargraphic bypass pipe. The car runs well, and I can only imagine it will be even better after adding the KW V3's. With all of this money going into the car, would it be a safe investment to even further "invest" in the car?

What do you think the lonevity of a Cayenne S would be? I live in Southern California and drive on fairly good roads. I take good care of my cars, but seeing how much I recently spent repairing the car, I'm questioning the durability of the Cayenne model. I know with some of my friends cars Ive seen them restore and drive them for over 200k miles. Who's got the most mileage and what problems with the car have you come across? I have 2004 Cayenne S with aout 61k miles, only mod is the bypass pipes and bmc filter.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:39 PM
not one comment? how bout people start posting who has the highest mileage on their cayennes?

Old 06-23-2009, 04:50 PM
TT
TT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of light
I personally put about 30k miles on my first Cayenne without a single problem (and it was the notorious 2004 model year). So far have about 4k on my 2009 model year and it has been good so far...but obviously doesn't have near the mileage that your car has! So no help there unfortunately.

The most I've heard of on a Cayenne was about 90,000 miles, and it is user "Vivid Racing" here on the board.

I hope more people chime in on this topic because I'm curious as well even though I usually don't keep cars that long.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:13 PM
FLB03TT is infamous around these parts
I'm not, presently, a Cayenne owner- but thinking very seriously about an '08 or '09. I've owned many 911s over the last 30+ years and I think it's safe to say that repairs are very expensive when a problem occurs. This certainly applies to late model Cayenne, as well as, any other late P-car model.

'04 Cayennes are well documented for having a somewhat higher number of problem than later model years. That being said, you bought an '04 w/ 60k on the clock at most likely a VERY attractive price compared to new or newer/lower mile examples. You've now replaced some wear items, excluding the drive shaft of course, at prices which are considerably higher than a 4Runner or Tahoe. Replacement of those wear items should have been factored into your purchase price and in no way reflect on the "durability" of your Cayenne. You saved the money on the buy, now you're spending some dough to "fix all the lil bugs". Those "lil bugs" are actually, with the exception of the driveshaft, wear items not "bugs".

In summary, I don't think the Cayenne is any more or less durable than most other luxury SUVs, just more expensive when replacing wear items or repairing the occasional items that break. High performance is expensive. You either accept that or drive a Honda Pilot.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:49 PM
tuki is infamous around these parts
mine has 77K and runs and drives so refine..

I did the big maintenance at 75K, spent almost 3 grands,it includes changing of 4 rotors and pads, transmission oil turbine (there was an small oil leak in the transmission) , front arms, spark plugs, ignition coils, oil etc. and some other small details.

Now it runs like new. I could say that it's a reliable car, maybe not that good as an Q7 or X5, but have to remember that it is a Porsche, and you go faster and doing everything harder than those compared SUVs..

But it's definetly %101 better than a Range Rover.

just my .02

Old 06-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Banned
twiskus has a spectacular aura abouttwiskus has a spectacular aura abouttwiskus has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by tuki
mine has 77K and runs and drives so refine..

I did the big maintenance at 75K, spent almost 3 grands,it includes changing of 4 rotors and pads, transmission oil turbine (there was an small oil leak in the transmission) , front arms, spark plugs, ignition coils, oil etc. and some other small details.

Now it runs like new. I could say that it's a reliable car, maybe not that good as an Q7 or X5, but have to remember that it is a Porsche, and you go faster and doing everything harder than those compared SUVs..

But it's definetly %101 better than a Range Rover.

just my .02
A Daewoo Nubia has a better reliability than a Range Rover...

Old 06-24-2009, 09:53 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
I put 23k miles 1st year, and 3k in the next 6 months. Within that time of ownership the coils went bad - replaced under warranty. The navigation acted up - but dealer replaced it without asking. Otherwise it was very solid and loved the car. I sold it to my GF(s) BF cuz she just fell in love. I did not have to go through the brakes changes etc. A friend has one and hit 50k on it. The problem is not reliability IMHO. it's more of the maintenance that people are not used to paying. He came from a Honda civic and paying 300$ for oil change was def. a shocker for him. If you find good independent shops, you can save a bit. Enjoy the car, drive it whenever u want. If the maint. cost bothers you just get a 09 or 10 brand new. It should be covered under manf. warranty. :-)
have fun...

Old 06-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Yeah I bought mine for my wife 2 years ago now with 53000 miles. It has 88000 on it. Been great except the driveshaft issue and the torque converter seal. But hey, high mileage stuff happens. She drives it every day to work and we have taken it on tons of road trips and I use it to tow my dirt bike for riding.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:17 PM
torque converter seal? please elaborate: how does this happen, how much to fix, and at what mileage did this happen?

Old 06-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Torque converter is like a clutch on a manual car. There i a seal that holds the TC on to the output shaft. My seal went bad so sweet looking red stuff could be seen on my garage floor and when I accelerated, the car sounded whiney. How much to fix it, not sure. We did it here. The part is only $70 or so. This happened at 80,000 miles. At the same time this happened, the infamous problem with the 2004 is the coolant pipes underneath the intake manifold failed. When these crack, coolant dissapears. The part is expensive and the labor is expensive too. We made an aluminum pipe here to fix it. Cayenne is an AWESOME truck. But dont buy a 2004 unless you get an extended warranty.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:45 AM
Mikla is infamous around these parts
A friend of mine drive a 2003 Cayenne S with 110.000 miles and it runs quite well. Some parts look old but the overal impression it really good.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:20 PM
bmwm506 is infamous around these parts
I have a 54k 04 Cayenne TT and have replaced the famous coolant hoses (under Warranty) Also replaced an airbag sensor (warranty) Headlight Replaced (warranty) and there is a noise currently on the cabin coming from the ac Seems like a bypass wants to open and close. Have not taken it in yet. I enjoy driving it and would recommend it above any other SUV. All cars need service and repairs, Porsche is no different. Whatever the car is, service and maintenance is going to be needed.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:20 AM
tonga3 is infamous around these parts
somebody on another board has 175000 miles on an '04 with very minimal problems to report.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:18 AM
Banned
turbofal is infamous around these parts
i've always heard that they were reliable late in life, but never confirmed

Old 10-13-2009, 11:42 AM
mrfva is infamous around these parts
Very good to know, as I'm looking to transition my wife from her A4 Avant into a Cayenne. I found a couple of 2006 S Titanium editions online

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne, built to last?