Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

a/c ECON

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:54 AM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
a/c ECON

So,,, it has been pretty hot here in the NW area, the outside temp reached close to 90 yesterday.

I noticed yesterday that my CS was blowing cold air while the temp was set @ 70 and ECON off. It didn't feel different even after I toggled the "ECON" button.

I have a feeling that my A/C unit is always on for some reason, do you guys know how to reset the system or does Cayenne likes to blow cold air out all the time?

Please advise, thanks in advance!

Old 07-27-2009, 11:57 AM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
When I push the "ECON" button, I can definitely feel the AC turn off.

Did you wait a while for the temperature in the ventilation system to normalize? If you only wait a few minutes, there is a fair bit of "residual cooling" that takes place after the AC switches off.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:08 PM
knicks is infamous around these parts
my cayenne forsure doesnt blow cold air all the time. lol i never experiencedthis problem ever? and some days it gets realll hot in nj

Old 07-27-2009, 01:06 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
Thanks, that's good to know, my cayenne never blow warm air, unless I set the temperature to 75 or higher.

The situation was like this, took my cayenne out of garage w/ A/C off, the temperature is set to 70 degree, outside being like 85 some degree, after driving for ~30 mins or so expecting the cabin to get warm, but all the vents were still blowing cold air, I double triple checked "ECON" wasn't being displayed.

I guess I'll take my Cayenne in before the winter comes around, it's still under factory warranty.

(my bimmer was blowing pretty warm air (temp set to 60) even after driving on the road for 10 mins under the same outside temperature.)

Old 07-27-2009, 06:31 PM
canberk is infamous around these parts
turning ECON on will turn off the A/C compressor. Waiting for 10 minutes will make you realize that the A/C compressor is turned off and the HVAC (yeah i know it sounds silly) system will just blow the air taken from the outside. Also, your Cayenne will never operate the A/C compressor when it goes below 45 degrees outside, just to let you know, i know that it has nothing to do with your question..

And, to check your A/C unit running, just listen to the compressor by opening the front trunk

Old 07-27-2009, 07:36 PM
SLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to behold
all I know is I freeze my *** off when the AC is on

Old 07-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by canberk
turning ECON on will turn off the A/C compressor.

Ah! I feel dumb now, but that's the reason why peeps like you in the forum is so awesome!

During the last 4months, I've been believing that A/C is *ON* when "ECON" appeared on the display, but like you said above, it's opposite;
A/C *OFF* when "ECON" appears
A/C *ON* when "ECON" disappears

Page 151 of the user manual also agrees with your statement.

Thanks all!

ps> so I guess my next question is how to program it to turn off the A/C when the car starts, seems like the default setting is always *ON*.

Last edited by pcst; 07-28-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:45 PM
MarketMan is infamous around these parts
My audi also has "ECON" and I never knew what it did.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:02 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Also, the A/C compressor will disengage momentarily when you demand more power from the throttle, ie passing a car on 2 lane highway will turn off while you floor it, and re-engage upon resettling.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:14 AM
garukun is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by pcst
Ah! I feel dumb now, but that's the reason why peeps like you in the forum is so awesome!

During the last 4months, I've been believing that A/C is *ON* when "ECON" appeared on the display, but like you said above, it's opposite;
A/C *OFF* when "ECON" appears
A/C *ON* when "ECON" disappears

Page 151 of the user manual also agrees with your statement.

Thanks all!

ps> so I guess my next question is how to program it to turn off the A/C when the car starts, seems like the default setting is always *ON*.
WOW, I can't believe I'm in the same shoes as you.... For all these times, I kept thinking that I'm running in ECON mode when the light is not lit. And, I'm feeling that I'm saving a lot of gas.... darn, this makes me feel really stupid.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Wattz is infamous around these parts
ECON is short for "Economy" you use less gas when the AC is off and not putting a drag on your engine.