Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Help with lifters!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 09:54 AM
bigdog is infamous around these parts
Help with lifters!!!!!!!!!!

Whats up guys,,,i am in the middle of changing my lifters on my engine,,but for some reason,,,some of the lifters arent getting any oil, somehow is it clogged,,,,i spoke wit my p-shop,,and they said u have to clean it out somhow,,,, HELP!!!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:13 PM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
Is it just one side (head) or just some at random locations? What are you doing to see that some aren't getting any oil? Here's an overview pic of the oil routing.
1) upper chain tensioner
2) Intermediate shaft
3) lower chain tensioner
4) oil to water heat exchanger
5) bypass valve
6) oil pump
7) relief valve
8) oil retaining valve - I think this could be clogged or leaking oil back into the oil pan.

Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2009, 06:13 AM
well on the drivers side of the engine ,,i had a slight knock,,,so i decided to change the lifters,,,,so i took the valve cover off on the drivers side,, and towards the rear of the engine i see that its not really getting any oil,,,,maybe like on 5 of the lifters,,,,,and they are all towards the back of the engine so i am about to tackle it right now ,,,,,so i will check everything ,,,any more info will be helpful,,

Old 08-03-2009, 06:13 AM
thanks for the image ,,,

Old 08-03-2009, 06:22 AM
how would u access the oil retaining valve?:????? anyone??

Old 08-03-2009, 09:33 AM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by bigdog
well on the drivers side of the engine ,,i had a slight knock,,,so i decided to change the lifters,,,,so i took the valve cover off on the drivers side,, and towards the rear of the engine i see that its not really getting any oil,,,,maybe like on 5 of the lifters,,,,,and they are all towards the back of the engine so i am about to tackle it right now ,,,,,so i will check everything ,,,any more info will be helpful,,
Did you check it with the engine running or just eyeball it not running?

Old 08-03-2009, 11:14 AM
i did the check with the valve cover off and the engine running

Old 08-03-2009, 12:25 PM
This is a tough one. It would be nice to check it warm, but of course you can't do that if oil isn't getting there. There's only a few of things you can try.
1) Pull all the coils/spark plugs out out (and the fuses controlling the fuel pumps) and roll the engine over until you see the oil coming out. Have a battery charger handy.
2) Remove the front of the engine and disconnect the gear/chain off the oil pump so you can rotate it manually or with a drill until you see oil there.
3) Run the engine and spray the non-oiling lifters/lobes with an oil can to keep it from seizing until you see it oiling.
4) Remove the cams (if they are hollow, you should know by now from being right there) and clean them out.
5) Take the head off and start cleaning passages.
6) Take it to a shop and let them fix it.

That's about the only advice/ideas I can offer. Good luck with it.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:20 PM
i want to thank you for all the help u have given me ,,,,it was the relief valve was completely clogged ,,,,,i have completely cleaned everything and everything is getting oil like it should,,im wrapping it up now,,,ur diagram helped alot. ,,,,,thanks again

Old 08-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Great news! Glad I could help.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Bad news

BAD NEWS,,,,,,i just put everything together ,,,drove around a lil while ,,,,,car sat overnight and then this morning i start her up ,,,,she is runnin real rough check engine light psm workshop failure ,,,,so i bring it to my p-shop and start checking everything. i took the spark plugs out ,,and they are all oxidized and oily,,,then i did a pressure check for the valve and found # 8 cylinder valves to be bad bc there not seating right,,grrrrrrrrr so now im going to rip the heads off and get the valves done ,,yayy for mee,,,,thanks for hearing me vent!!!!!! I love my Pepper

Old 08-05-2009, 09:02 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bigdog
BAD NEWS,,,,,,i just put everything together ,,,drove around a lil while ,,,,,car sat overnight and then this morning i start her up ,,,,she is runnin real rough check engine light psm workshop failure ,,,,so i bring it to my p-shop and start checking everything. i took the spark plugs out ,,and they are all oxidized and oily,,,then i did a pressure check for the valve and found # 8 cylinder valves to be bad bc there not seating right,,grrrrrrrrr so now im going to rip the heads off and get the valves done ,,yayy for mee,,,,thanks for hearing me vent!!!!!! I love my Pepper
I would also consider having them check(scope) the cylinders and make sure they are not scored. It may be deeper knock than lifter tick....Good luck getting it sorted out soon though.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Bummer man. Keep us posted.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:11 AM
yea ,,the heads are off and goin to the shop on monday ,,,i will check later today when i go to the shop and have then check the piston walls, grrrrr,,,my luck will be probably that they are scored,,,,,,,god i love my pepper lmaoooooo

Old 04-10-2010, 08:11 AM
twilight is infamous around these parts
Follow-up

What finally happened? My Cayenne also makes a lifter noise - have had people say it's the gas - but the oil circulation seems more likely - the problem is very intermittent - normally when first started.