Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne S or Range Rover sport HSE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:56 PM
LT1
LT1 is infamous around these parts
Cayenne S or Range Rover sport HSE

I'm looking at some CPO '06's. They trucks are pretty comparable in price. I want to like the porsche because, well, its a porsche but I can't help thinking that the Range Rover looks much cooler. Which one should I buy? Flame suit on.

What's the '6speed' site for Range Rovers?

Old 08-02-2009, 08:13 PM
rockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to behold
I definitely like the looks of the RRS HSE much better than the Cayenne S. But looking at the reliability and essentially same gas mileage, the Cayenne S outperforms the RRS in almost everyway. Will you be opting for the air-suspension? I love it on my CTT. I know it comes standard with the RRS HSE, but not the CS. If you're looking into some off pavement driving, the CS will handle its own well. As far as on-road, the CS is just better in all aspects..acceleration, stability, firmness, and speed. But....it's just much uglier. So, it all depends on what ur looking for. Bling factor...RRS. Performance on-road...CS. Performance off-road...although relatively equal, I'd say it goes to the RRS. Reliability...CS (go to the range rover forums and their rides are always in the shop. Actually there was an article about the famous UFC Fighter Dan Henderson's brand new RR needing to be towed back home from Vegas after his fight because it wouldn't start).

Old 08-02-2009, 08:26 PM
LT1
I agree with the CS performance wise, but with 3 other cars to use for the spirited drives, this purchase will basically serve as the wifey's ride and the kid hauler. I've seen some great looking modded Cayenne's (wheels, lowered, pipes etc) but the stock Cayenne S is uber plain to me. The RRS looks so great stock that it is clouding the negative reliability factor.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:51 PM
WakeCayenne is infamous around these parts
With prices being equal, I'd honestly lean towards the RRS. I actually think the Cayenne look great...but only if its heavily modded and post-face lift. I agree with your opinion that the Rover looks fantastic, bone stock, which is a huge perk.

However, the RRS has a shockingly small cargo capacity due to the sloping roof line and the rear seat is anything but comfortable. The headrests have to be pulled all the way up to even be functional. If I was one of your kids, I would rather spend a long-distance car trip in the CS. On top of that, you're not going to get much behind the back seats on your way to the beach. The RRS's lack of space is one of the major reasons I went with the Cayenne.

Bottom line: looks-wise RRS hands down. but for functionality, comfort, and drivability...100% Cayenne.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:54 AM
ONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud of
ok, slightly different perspective here from the land of the range rover.

i have owned 7 range rovers (from 3.5 carb to v8 diesel)
the sport or vogue are fine cars but at the traffic light grand prix dont stand a chance against the cayenne.

yes the new sport looks better/fresher than the dated porkie (but is it all about looks?)
range rovers are very reliable now, but VERY bad on fuel (forget offical figures) you will not even get close.
in my street alone there are 11 new range rovers, i love seeing them "wallow" round the roundabouts.
they are reasonably cheap here compared to the same spec porsche, and are an equal, but off road and outright performance the porsche wins hands down.
looks its a win for the range rover
(in the UK we change the rear RANGE ROVER writing to read " HANG OVER"
as it suits the type of drivers they attract.
the range rover is fully loaded and supreamly comfortable, and is a great tow vehicle.
at the end of the day its all down to that badge
germanic over engineering, sensible and very capable ..........or
english style/looks good in serious mud (but who would?)

over to you.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:03 AM
stephen k is infamous around these parts
I too agree the RRS looks better than the Cay but the RRSS/RRS/RRS we've owned all had issues relating to mostly engine and electronic hiccups. Yes thats right, all three. Leads me to believe that first of all the jaguar supercharged engine wasn't made right and the electrical issues can be blamed on ford or whoever does the engineering for RR now.

Get the Cayenne. Pops has a 06 CTTS and he loves it. No probs, great handling, great drive, and the cargo space is very respectable. Quite comfy as well.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:52 AM
JBONDOx is infamous around these parts
you look harder you might get the full size RR HSE for around the same price, CPO would be a different story, but you definately need a warranty with those vehicles. I think the RR is the best looking SUV out there and the interior is very nice.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Twincharge is infamous around these parts
A friend of mine finally threw in the towel and got rid of his 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharger after no end of suspension and engine problems.

I think renewing the suspension bushes twice within 5 months did it. These Range Rovers are riddled with problems, the Cayenne is bullet proof in comparison.

I think the image below says it all. Genuine picture NOT shopped - a friend of mine went past the garage to confirm it was real. The owner of the Range Rover was so upset with the SUV that he parked it outside of the Dealership for a few weeks and refused to move it.

I believe in the end the Dealership gave him his money back to make him go away.

Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
I have had some issues with my 05 RR but I had ZERO issues with my CS but not enough problems to keep me away from buying a newer model RR in the future.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:28 AM
ONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Twincharge
A friend of mine finally threw in the towel and got rid of his 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharger after no end of suspension and engine problems.

I think renewing the suspension bushes twice within 5 months did it. These Range Rovers are riddled with problems, the Cayenne is bullet proof in comparison.

I think the image below says it all. Genuine picture NOT shopped - a friend of mine went past the garage to confirm it was real. The owner of the Range Rover was so upset with the SUV that he parked it outside of the Dealership for a few weeks and refused to move it.

I believe in the end the Dealership gave him his money back to make him go away.
I REMEMBER THAT BEING IN THE PAPERS.

the V8 diesel vogue i owned was a superb vehicle, and gave me no problems, but i would never own a sport (it has to be a full size RR for me)
have you got the diesels stateside yet??
they are superb,
but nothing gets away from that porsche badge......

Old 08-03-2009, 11:39 PM
knicks is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by WakeCayenne
With prices being equal, I'd honestly lean towards the RRS. I actually think the Cayenne look great...but only if its heavily modded and post-face lift. I agree with your opinion that the Rover looks fantastic, bone stock, which is a huge perk.

However, the RRS has a shockingly small cargo capacity due to the sloping roof line and the rear seat is anything but comfortable. The headrests have to be pulled all the way up to even be functional. If I was one of your kids, I would rather spend a long-distance car trip in the CS. On top of that, you're not going to get much behind the back seats on your way to the beach. The RRS's lack of space is one of the major reasons I went with the Cayenne.

Bottom line: looks-wise RRS hands down. but for functionality, comfort, and drivability...100% Cayenne.
Yes, your kids would love the CS but you'd hate it. I spent 23 hrs in it, even using cruise control and i was yet to find a comfort spot. The spot you want your arm to rest at is the exact middle of the leather and you physically cant have an enjoyable experience. Be prepared with an army of pillows to support you because you need the extra leverage on the right side to put your elbow and eventually have your hand on the gear lever. Reclining the seat is out of the question and the driver door armrest doesnt even fit my arm if i tried to sag down and put my arm on it. Maybe its just my size or my preference to driving position but i cant stand it.

If your family, or yourself, likes to take road trips and your the driver, be sure to take the RRS because from that experience, road trips are deadly. Also, don't use the skibag nor tamper with it because its the worst idea ever, but that's even if you get the CS.

Born a porsche lover, i'd automatically choose the CS no thought required but with an open mind i'd take the RRS because of the looks, but still; if you buy the CS your driving a PORSCHE. My v6 was purchased new for sosososo much cheaper then MSRP and people can't stand to look at it, especially lowered and tinted, with 22" oz canyons. You'll eventually give into the mod bug if you buy the CS too, pipes are too irresistable

Old 08-03-2009, 11:51 PM
freshwhite335 is infamous around these partsfreshwhite335 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Sleepy996
I have had some issues with my 05 RR but I had ZERO issues with my CS but not enough problems to keep me away from buying a newer model RR in the future.
dude i pass u all the time on A1A. passed u today in fact, u were in the CLS driving north on A1A down in the 55MPH zone.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:43 AM
jyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond repute
I had a 06 RRS HSE and now 09 CS. Do a search on my posts, i had a detailed comparison when i first moved to this board.

In Summary:

Performance - CS but transmission on RRS is better

Looks - RRS, people LOVE the look. No one looks at my CS even after putting on the 21's and clear corners!

Reliability - RRS, dead reliable CS had a few problems with headlights already

Comfort - RRS very comfortable seats, high seating position

Utility - RRS practical, smart designs inside and out

Value - RRS HSE comes loaded with air suspension, nav, etc

Built quality - CS

Offroad - RRS, when i'm in the Range, i feel like i'm in a tank that can go anywhere and crush anything. I did not have that kind of confidence in a CS, also was stuck in sand once.

I still like the CS more, not sure why, it's one of those things thats very hard to explain...

Old 08-04-2009, 08:58 AM
LT1
Originally Posted by jyupitt1
I had a 06 RRS HSE and now 09 CS. Do a search on my posts, i had a detailed comparison when i first moved to this board.

In Summary:

Performance - CS but transmission on RRS is better

Looks - RRS, people LOVE the look. No one looks at my CS even after putting on the 21's and clear corners!

Reliability - RRS, dead reliable CS had a few problems with headlights already

Comfort - RRS very comfortable seats, high seating position

Utility - RRS practical, smart designs inside and out

Value - RRS HSE comes loaded with air suspension, nav, etc

Built quality - CS

Offroad - RRS, when i'm in the Range, i feel like i'm in a tank that can go anywhere and crush anything. I did not have that kind of confidence in a CS, also was stuck in sand once.

I still like the CS more, not sure why, it's one of those things thats very hard to explain...
Very helpful, thanks--LT

Old 08-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by freshwhite335
dude i pass u all the time on A1A. passed u today in fact, u were in the CLS driving north on A1A down in the 55MPH zone.
Haha Ponte Vedra is a small town man !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne S or Range Rover sport HSE