Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Crossbars? Useful?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 09:46 PM
rockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to behold
Crossbars? Useful?

Okay, I've been contemplating on getting the Porsche Tequipment crossbars that attach to my roof rails. Is there any real use to these crossbars?

Will I be able to attach the Yakima bike rack or Thule on top of the bars? Or do I just need to go with Yakima/Thule's crossbars and not the one from Porshce.

I'm not willing to lose the roof rails, so the actual Porsche Transport System is out of the question.

Anyone else have the crossbars?

Old 08-09-2009, 06:25 AM
SkiRacer is infamous around these parts
Factory bars are great

I am using the factory crossbars on my 05 CTT. I am also using the Thule bike mounts and it is a perfect fit. There is an adapter (XAdapt 9) that converts a thule bike tray system for use in racks with a channel. Your local ski / bike shop should be able to order what you need.

Installation is a 15 minute deal - very very easy.

I am looking forward to installing a thule roof box for the winter - that will be an even easier install.

Cheers!

Attached Images   
Old 08-09-2009, 04:41 PM
rockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to behold
Hey SkiRacer,

Thanks so much for your input. This answered all my questions. Even the dealer couldn't answer them for me. I appreciate the pics you posted too. Helps out so much. I'll be ordering the crossbars from my local dealer or through Suncoast.

Your Cayenne looks great with the roof rails, crossbars, and Thule bike rack.
Any wind noise with this setup?

Old 08-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Hey doc,

Thanks for the kind words, always super happy to help.

There is a bit of wind noise but just a bit. Any rail system will whistle at mach schnell .

I contemplated a fairing but didn't want the truck to look like a subaru so I opted out of it. Also, there is a bit of distance from the leading edge of the sunroof to the front rail on the rack to I am not sure that a fairing could make the span with out blocking the sunroof.

Cheers!

Old 08-21-2009, 07:48 PM
P Henry is infamous around these parts
I need to remove a set of OEM cross bars from the roof rails. How do they attach/come off?

Old 08-22-2009, 06:14 AM
Originally Posted by P Henry
I need to remove a set of OEM cross bars from the roof rails. How do they attach/come off?
You should have a little tool that looks like a plastic case for an allen wrench somewhere in your car. Failing that, just grab a torx wrench and pull back the outer plastic cover on the ends of the rails. Then loosen the outer torx bolts. You will see that you are dropping a plate that holds the end of a rod that wraps around your roof rails. Once you have loosened the nut enough, you will be able to snap the bar out of the holder and be good to go.

In re-reading the above, it sounds WAY more confusing than it is. Basically, loosen the outer nuts and you'll see what needs to be done.

I can post pics if you need.

Cheers!

Old 08-22-2009, 08:10 AM
P Henry is infamous around these parts
Unfortunately I don't have the tool, as I bought the vehicle used and looked all over for it. The torx bolt requires one of those torx tools with the hole in the center. I'm afraid to jam a regular torx in there and strip it for lack of contact.

Thanks for the explanation. At least now I know what I need to do once I can buy or makle a tool.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:38 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
I've been using yakima box w/ the oem factory cross bars, been pretty successfully so far!

Old 08-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by pcst
I've been using yakima box w/ the oem factory cross bars, been pretty successfully so far!
Are you using a flat bottom box or are you using one that has "dips" in the bottom so that the box sits lower? If you're using the latter, it would be great to see a photo of your setup.

I am contemplating the thule 611 and would love to see how a notched box looks on the truck.