Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Help with wheel spacer size please?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:29 AM
DanH is infamous around these parts
Help with wheel spacer size please?

Hi,

I've got a Ruf converted Cayenne which runs on 22" wheels but I've had 2 crack in 2 months so sending back to Ruf for inspection.

Meanwhile, I've bought some sport design 20" wheels second hand. The problem is they won't fit over my front callipers!!!

I believe the Ruf conversion uses the Turbo S brake callipers?

The Ruf wheels that clear ok are :

10J x 22H2 ET50

The Porshe Sport Designs which don't are :

9J x 20H2 ET60

Does this just mean I need 10mm spacers? There is plenty of clearance with the Ruf wheels.

Also how will I know if I need longer wheel bolts? Is the rule just that the length sticking out the back of the wheel through the spacer is longer than the width of the bolt?

Are they likely to fit regardless? Given they are still the standard Porsche items that came with the car.

Thanks for any assistance. You wouldn't believe the frustration when I mounted one up and realised the problem. I bought the sport designs 2nd hand only to find a nail in one tyre this am, then this!

Doubt its a consideration but the tyres on the 22" wheels were 295x30 instead of 275x40.

In fact I think my question can be boiled down to, what spacers are required to mount sport designs on a turbo S?

Last edited by DanH; 08-29-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Forgot to add, would I typically need 4 spacers, which is basically 2 sets?

If so they are gonna cost more than I paid for the wheels which is pretty irritating given they are just a spare set whilst my Ruf's get sorted.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:56 AM
ONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud of
hey Dan.
my thoughts on wheel spacers are listed on here. ( not a fan)

but i thought that even turbo S calipers were the same as turbo? i thought it was the discs that were slightly larger? im supprised that 20" wheels wont cover them.
the offset of 60 is right?.

im not up on ruf conversions so i dont know what they have done to the brakes/discs/calipers,
but if it was me, i would not put all that power through spacers.

not teaching you to suck eggs, but when something has/wants to break, it always finds the weakest part...ergo your spacers.
and the power/cornering forces you are generating, i would not put my loved ones in the hands of 10 bolts (instead of 5) per wheel.

give ruf a call and see what they advise?
good luck.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by ONE234
hey Dan.
my thoughts on wheel spacers are listed on here. ( not a fan)

but i thought that even turbo S calipers were the same as turbo? i thought it was the discs that were slightly larger? im supprised that 20" wheels wont cover them.
the offset of 60 is right?.

im not up on ruf conversions so i dont know what they have done to the brakes/discs/calipers,
but if it was me, i would not put all that power through spacers.

not teaching you to suck eggs, but when something has/wants to break, it always finds the weakest part...ergo your spacers.
and the power/cornering forces you are generating, i would not put my loved ones in the hands of 10 bolts (instead of 5) per wheel.

give ruf a call and see what they advise?
good luck.
Yeah I've emailed Ruf but these ET60s OEM sport designs will not clear the callipers thats for sure. Have had various people assure me that the Ruf big brakes are just turbo S units, but I'm beginning to wonder now.

As to spacers, why would there be 10 bolts? These aren't hub adaptors which I agree are a hideous idea, these are spacers with 5 holes in that the bolts just pass right through into the hub. So probably requires longer bolts but in the end its just a bit of metal betweel wheel and hub and not much different to being part of the wheel.

I can only find 17mm OEM or 18mm cargraphic ones though which might be too much.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:01 PM
ONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud of
to keep the strength (that they all loose with spacers) most "racing types" use the same system as PCD adaptors where the bolts are off set against each other, if the type you will be using use "larger" bolts passing through what would be in effect a huge alloy washer.. that would be even weaker.all your car is being held together with in that case is 5 long steel bolts per side, and the longer a bolt is the weaker it becomes.
the forces applied at the hub centre are huge and this force is transfered to the wheel baring.
its like leaverage...if you move the weight (wheel) outwards you increase the force hugly.
with a larger wheel, its distributed all over the wheel mass, and not just over the spacer (washer)
i have personally witnessed tens of these snapping and wheel barings failing on track days in the many subaru events i race in. (so much so that they are now banned in uk motorsport)
our cars are 2/half tones and your car is very powerfull,
on a light car they might pass but on a porkie?? (not for me)
i understand porsche sell similar and they have been around for eons, but that does not make it ok.
2 things you should never disrespect.
your wheels/tyres..and your brakes, they are the only thing keeping you on the black stuff.

just my thoughts...im by no means a guru.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Yep it is just like a big washer with the holes for the wheels in. They are compressed between the wheel and hub and I've got no problems with them. I had them on my m3 race car and Porsche GT3s come with them on some models. So honestly not fussed.

Its more the size thing I'm wondering about!

Old 08-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Have found the answer. There were 2 revisions of this wheel, and only one clears the sports kit callipers. Guess which muggins has....

Old 08-29-2009, 03:22 PM
sorry to hear that Dan.

good luck sorting it.