Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Get Your Cayenne While You Can!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:11 AM
DUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ONE234
WOW, where did that come from? are you having a bad day?
i am not misinformed? i have pasted here from mercedes uk/europe a list of there current production cars/4x4's
you will see there is no G wagon.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...=lr%3D&aq=f&oq=
Is it "unfriendly" so say that your knowledge is inaccurate and misinformed?

For the UK, you are correct; but there's much more to the world than just the UK. Check the US and German websites. Still very much in production for the general public in parts of the world where LHD is the standard - including, but certainly not limited to, the Canadian Forces, btw.

See here for example:

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/#/vehiclesMenu/

or here:

http://www.mercedes-benz.de/content/...html#chapter=1

Attached Images  

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlant; 09-03-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:33 AM
huskyfan23 is infamous around these parts
ok, your not seeing this from a corporate perspective.
both porsche and VW are now not only compeating in the same sectors...but with almost the excact car (cayenne/tourag)
it makes huge sence to let porsche "revert" back to purely sports cars and let VW (et al) deal with the mundane stuff.
the fact that the cayenne is doing so well still for porsche will have no baring on this, as VW (tourag) would fill in any shortfalls, the loss in people for the cayenne will be made up in new venture sales and models by porsche.
the cayenne cannot run for ever no matter how well its doing at the moment, they (VAG group) are looking at the bigger picture 10+ years on
The Cayenne and Tourag are the same in body only. Nobody wanting a sporty SUV is going to look at the Tourag. I can tell you for certain that if the Cayenne did not exist, I wouldn't be looking at VW for an SUV. I'm sure there are many others in the same boat.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:52 AM
ONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by huskyfan23
The Cayenne and Tourag are the same in body only. Nobody wanting a sporty SUV is going to look at the Tourag. I can tell you for certain that if the Cayenne did not exist, I wouldn't be looking at VW for an SUV. I'm sure there are many others in the same boat.
they share a hell of a lot more than the body.
they share the chassis/body panels/engines/most of the running gear/electrics etc
the 3.2/3.6 V6 engines are VW the diesel is VAG group (audi Q7)
check your car there are thousands of parts that are stamped VW

your right about the sporty part though, but i was just trying to explain why the VAG board dont want a parallel car, it does not make sence to compeate with your self.
im a cayenne die hard, but it will come to an end soon now VW have a major interest
the same thing is happening with the lambo and R8, they also share a huge number of parts including chassis/engine, and the company is now compeating against its self.

my point is that if porsche and VW are to move forward economicly they need to go back to there original ethos, and they have said as much to the press.

the people porsche would loose from the cayenne would be made up from VW sales and new porsche model owners (granted they would not be the old cayenne owners) but not every cayenne owner is an enthusiast, the vast majority of cayenne owners are not on forums or even have an interest in the marque, there bought as a status symbol for school runs and such like, i think if the rumers were true it would be a wise move for the VAG group, but a sad day for us lot.

heres hoping im compleatly wrong.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:57 AM
ONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud of
Is it "unfriendly" so say that your knowledge is inaccurate and misinformed?

thats not quite how you said it. you said....

I guess this shows the real extent of your knowledge - completely inaccurate and misinformed.

the way you put it was definatly unfriendly.
but im thick skinned. i still like you

For the UK, you are correct; but there's much more to the world than just the UK

i can only comment on where i live obviously, and i im aware there is more to the world than the UK, because christopher colombus told me.(apparantly...he discovered where you live?? if you beleive the hype )

regards
David.

Last edited by ONE234; 09-03-2009 at 10:07 AM. Reason: just kidding.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:08 AM
norsecarnut is infamous around these parts
WOW, where did that come from? are you having a bad day?
i am not misinformed? i have pasted here from mercedes uk/europe a list of there current production cars/4x4's
you will see there is no G wagon.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...=lr%3D&aq=f&oq=

i thought this was a friendly forum?
Your statement was as if you live on an island or something.....

While limited they are not only made to order.

As for the Touareg picking up the Cayenne market, it is impossible regardless of shared parts, it's not those parts that anyone knows about or would care about if they did, it's how incredibly sexier the Porsche is over the VW. A smarter move may be VW keep the Touareg in tdi and reduce the Cayenne to the GTS, Turbo, and a basic v8, dropping it's silly v6 for the US at least.

Even if you stick a "vw" on the front of the GTS, the porsche types wouldn't but it even then.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Your statement was as if you live on an island or something.....

some times i think im the only one here.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:47 AM
they share a hell of a lot more than the body.
they share the chassis/body panels/engines/most of the running gear/electrics etc
the 3.2/3.6 V6 engines are VW the diesel is VAG group (audi Q7)
check your car there are thousands of parts that are stamped VW

your right about the sporty part though, but i was just trying to explain why the VAG board dont want a parallel car, it does not make sence to compeate with your self.
im a cayenne die hard, but it will come to an end soon now VW have a major interest
the same thing is happening with the lambo and R8, they also share a huge number of parts including chassis/engine, and the company is now compeating against its self.

my point is that if porsche and VW are to move forward economicly they need to go back to there original ethos, and they have said as much to the press.

the people porsche would loose from the cayenne would be made up from VW sales and new porsche model owners (granted they would not be the old cayenne owners) but not every cayenne owner is an enthusiast, the vast majority of cayenne owners are not on forums or even have an interest in the marque, there bought as a status symbol for school runs and such like, i think if the rumers were true it would be a wise move for the VAG group, but a sad day for us lot.

heres hoping im compleatly wrong.
Sure they share more than just a body, but there are enough major differences between the 2 to make them distinct. Nobody is going to say, "I like the Cayenne but it is too expensive, so I'm going with the Touareg". You'll look at one or the other.

I don't believe the 2 are competing with each other. Maybe the V6, but that's it. I look at the Touareg/Cayenne relationship as that of the Yukon/Escalade.

Being economical is one thing, but if a product is selling well, you keep it. IIRC, the Touareg is the model that's had sales troubles. I also don't think dumping the Cayenne will lead people to buy a Touareg. They will go to BMW or Mercedes.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:56 PM
ok, cat among the pigoens time.

do a search on porscheAG fiscal report2006- 2009.
you will see that the sales of the cayenne have been in sharp decline since 2006, and do not account for 50% of sales or profits (or anywhere near)
VW are not wearing blinkers on this one and are going to have one mother of a shake up.

ALL CAYENNE 541 958 4880 7446 this year alone porsche cayenne sales are to date 4880
and this figure for last year was 7446
thats 2500 down this year alone, and it was much worse 2006-7

Old 09-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Surely the drop has nothing to do with the decreasing demand for SUVs, or the recession, right? How do Cayenne sales compare with Touareg sales?

Old 09-03-2009, 01:23 PM
mb230s is infamous around these parts
This is exactly what I did! I started out looking for Cayenne S models post-facelift that were CPO'd. After a couple months of not finding what I want - and a lot more research I decided that the Touareg and Cayenne are more than "kissing cousins". I went and looked at a Touareg was shocked to find out about the diesel option. For petrol burners I probably still would have gone with the Porsche but the diesel swayed me to the VW.

Both trucks fit my need, I don't "love" either. Getting a brand new VW diesel for less than a used Cayenne S was icing on the cake.

VW producing both the Cayenne and the Touareg could be very similar to the mess GM was in where the same car was sold in several slightly different versions by the various GM brands. They were really only competing against themselves. (Remember the Cadillac Cimmaron?) Maybe VW feels that Touareg and Cayenne are doing the same???? I know the Cayenne has a lot more options - including the GTS and TS - but the commonly equipped V6 and V8 models aren't all that different between VW and Porsche.

Anyway - just my $.02 from somebody who set out to buy a Porsche and ended up with a VW (ordered - won't be here for a while).

Old 09-03-2009, 02:39 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Surely the drop has nothing to do with the decreasing demand for SUVs, or the recession, right? How do Cayenne sales compare with Touareg sales?

Exactly, I'd bet you could look at any model of best seller, or even non best seller and see a 50% decline compared to 2004-5 etc.

The Cayenne is still substantial enough to keep. And the sales will rebound just like most every other car that's seen declines over the last two years.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Former Vendor
D2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to all
This is really hard to believe, the Cayenne is wayy too much of cash cow for them to cancel it!

Old 09-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Flyingpig1 is infamous around these parts
I'm sure the long term plans will change a lot in the next 7 years.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:52 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Cayenne should stay. but Pana no.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:58 AM
JBONDOx is infamous around these parts
hmmm, isn't VW using Chrysler to make the routan? maybe the can get jeep to build a replacement for the cayenne...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Get Your Cayenne While You Can!!