Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Wife's 04 CS had a blowout

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:18 AM
blrx7r1 is infamous around these parts
Wife's 04 CS had a blowout

Passenger front tire blew out and luckily she and my daughter is fine. Well the Porsche tire goop and compressor didn't work since tire was trashed. I had it towed home and now I get the pleasure of tire shopping today. I want to stay below $200/tire retail so I've called nearly all the tire shops in the Kansas City Metro area. Here are my choices:

Hankook RH06 $150/ea
Nexen Roadian HP $117/ea
Bridgestone Dueller HP $165
Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus $126/ea (only T speed rated, 109XL load rated)

The price leader is the Nexen but unsure if it's a good tire. Other problem is getting our CS to the tire shop. Can I shuttle two wheels/tires to the shop, replace the tires and then drive it with two new tires on the front and two old on back to the tire shop. Or do I need to have it towed to the shop to get all 4 replaced at once?

Thanks,

Chuck

Old 10-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
Chuck, Seriously don' be cheap when it comes to tires. Stick with Michelin, bridgeston, or continental. this is a high performance vehicle and your families safety.

I feel for your wife with the fix a flat kit. It sucks, ive been there, doesn't ever work.

Do the right thing. And yes you can do 2 and then 2 but no crazy driving, and get it all done soon.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:43 AM
Porsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nice
Originally Posted by blrx7r1
Passenger front tire blew out and luckily she and my daughter is fine. Well the Porsche tire goop and compressor didn't work since tire was trashed. I had it towed home and now I get the pleasure of tire shopping today. I want to stay below $200/tire retail so I've called nearly all the tire shops in the Kansas City Metro area. Here are my choices:

Hankook RH06 $150/ea
Nexen Roadian HP $117/ea

The price leader is the Nexen but unsure if it's a good tire. Other problem is getting our CS to the tire shop. Can I shuttle two wheels/tires to the shop, replace the tires and then drive it with two new tires on the front and two old on back to the tire shop. Or do I need to have it towed to the shop to get all 4 replaced at once?

Thanks,

Chuck
Ideally we like to see the Michellins on your car but given your price point constraint, i'd go with the bridgestone. From a quality standpoint it is better than the others though the Hancook is close at that price point on quality. Stay away from the nexen. Terrible performance and noisey. I would go all four if the rears are at or close to the wear bar. It really is best to have all the same make on the car but that would be your call. You should have an alignment done post tire instal, esp after blow out in the front. Have the Porsche dealer do the alignment as i can't recall any other good independant shops in your area. Perhaps some other members can make you a reccomendation for a good independant that can handle your alignment in your area. Hope that helps.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll stay away from the Nexen, and the Cooper since it doesn't meet the Speed rating. So Bridgestone vs Hankook both look decent and seem to meet the specs for load and speed rating. I'll see which ones they actually have in stock.

Thanks again.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:07 AM
KeithR32 is a splendid one to beholdKeithR32 is a splendid one to beholdKeithR32 is a splendid one to beholdKeithR32 is a splendid one to beholdKeithR32 is a splendid one to beholdKeithR32 is a splendid one to beholdKeithR32 is a splendid one to behold
Funny I see you mention Nexen Tires.
I put on a set on my R32 to burn off at a track day but ended up not going and left them on the car.
Well fast foward over a year later the Nexens are still on my car and have been surprisingly Good !
Not sure of the S/R of the exact tire you were looking at but mine have been rock solid

Old 10-21-2009, 11:48 AM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
I absolutely LOVE my Toyo's. They handle very, very well in the dry and wet. They also performed wonderfully last year when we had snow/ice here in Seattle.

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-st

Old 10-21-2009, 12:18 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SeattleBum
I absolutely LOVE my Toyo's. They handle very, very well in the dry and wet. They also performed wonderfully last year when we had snow/ice here in Seattle.

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-st

how are they for road noise, I had Michellins, 200 rating; nice and quiet, went with the same tire but a 400 rating, little more than twice the miles still good for another couple thousand more but they have more road noise, love the quiet so you can hear the engine roar.....

I agree with Scott, when it comes to saftey, there is never a subsitute...

Old 10-21-2009, 01:40 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
how are they for road noise, I had Michellins, 200 rating; nice and quiet, went with the same tire but a 400 rating, little more than twice the miles still good for another couple thousand more but they have more road noise, love the quiet so you can hear the engine roar.....

I agree with Scott, when it comes to saftey, there is never a subsitute...

They are pretty quiet compared to most of the tires I've had in the past. I used to track Toyo T1-S and T1-R's on my CTS-V and they were amazing tires with loads of grip. Couldn't have been happier.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:55 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by blrx7r1

Hankook RH06 $150/ea
Nexen Roadian HP $117/ea

Thanks,

Chuck
hey Chuck definitely go with the Michelins if it is in your budget.... We are not talking about making your car go faster, and wasting hard earn money, this is your family here..... good luck

Old 10-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by KeithR32
Funny I see you mention Nexen Tires.
I put on a set on my R32 to burn off at a track day but ended up not going and left them on the car.
Well fast foward over a year later the Nexens are still on my car and have been surprisingly Good !
Not sure of the S/R of the exact tire you were looking at but mine have been rock solid

That's funny cause I've had two tire shops swear that these tires are good. They say that they have come a long way and are surprisingly good. I just couldn't do it even with the significant cost savings. I'm going with the Hankooks due to availability and price.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:49 PM
M-ONE is infamous around these parts
I put 22" Nexens on my wifes Cayenne a few months ago and so far so good. I was very double minded about them when getting them, but figured at the price it would be easy to replace if not happy. Noise has been fine, as is wet performance. Can't speak of ice / snow as of yet .....

Old 10-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Banned
twiskus has a spectacular aura abouttwiskus has a spectacular aura abouttwiskus has a spectacular aura about
I have an 06 Cayenne V6 with the 17's and I went for the Michelin MTX and got a steal...all fours mount and balanced for 580.00

Trev