Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

I need a new pcm screen! Can anyone help - check the pictures/ complete disassemble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:11 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
I need a new pcm screen! Can anyone help - check the pictures/ complete disassemble

My screen goes white until I tap it and then it comes back on half way (flickers, etc.) and sometimes completely. I took the entire unit apart and I can see where the problem is. There is 4 ribbon cables that are soldered directly to the lower half of the screen. My guess is that there is a weak connection there as the screen responds when I press in that area. There is no way to re-solder as its a ribbon cable. If I had just the screen I can fix it myself. I will call suncoast but my guess is I will prob have to pull it from a dead PCM. I put the unit back in and same issue.
Also, I added an onion skin to the screen which is a glossy layer sold to make non-glossy screens glossy - Sure wish my dam screen was working right!

Can anyone help??? Anyone have a dead PCM with a good screen???

BTW - If you want to see all the gory pics of me taking my PCM apart: http://s412.photobucket.com/albums/p...view=slideshow

PICS:

The 4 ribbon cables can be seen at the bottom:

Ribbon cable close up

Last edited by roxboxxx; 10-25-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:42 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
He has two different ones, check them out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/TFT-DISPLAY-LCD-...#ht_4437wt_948

Old 10-28-2009, 09:06 AM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
Dude - you might have just saved me a ton of dough. Thanks much and will ping the seller to find out if it includes the circuit board.

PS - I also found out suncoast does refurbs at $1400 ($2400 and then they credit the core back).

Old 10-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Great I take all the credit if it works and none if it doesn't 

Old 10-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Sorry man - my wife is always in line first to do that.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Steve3ZX is infamous around these parts
Rox,

I'm in the same boat as you with the screen problems. Did you end up buying the screen and replacing it? If so, did that work? My local dealer told me I'd need a new PCM, but I thought I'd take a crack at taking it apart first.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Almost - I started talking to the guy on ebay in the link that kevin found. Turns out this guy has a ton of stuff for porsche PCMs. He is in argentina, has very good feedback and his english is perfect. He was out of stock and emailed me 5 days latter to let me know that he received it back into stock. I had also sent him pictures to confirm that the screen came with the logic board (which it does). Final price shipped to me was around $425 and I just placed the order yesterday. The cheapest alternative I found was a refurb at $2400 from suncoast with a $1000 credit return when Porsche in atlanta approves the core. The screen will arrive in 7-10 days and it should take me around 1 hour all in to swap it. If it works, you can believe I will let the boards know.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:46 AM
BTW - Here is what my screen looks like. This is one of the transitional states as typically when I start my pepper the screen is completely white. After a few taps I can get it to look like the attached picture. Sometimes when the moon is in alignment with jupiter I can get the screen to go completely back to normal

Old 11-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Steve3ZX is infamous around these parts
Angry

It looks like you're about a month or so away from where I'm at now - I can't get it to return to normal at all, no matter how much I poke at it:

Old 11-05-2009, 04:32 PM
LOL - we are definitely " Screen mates" for sure (nothing like banging on the screen while driving so you can see how to tune into XM Traffic news). I wonder how many other victims of this condition are out there??

BTW - Here is the email exchange with the guy so you can see what I was asking and what his replies were. Read it from the bottom up

-----------------

It require the PCM

You have to run new wires to each speaker, no other solution, you only have steering wheel control with a new head unit .
You can use and high/low level interface form PAC but you will lose some sound quality.

In my opinion the best solution is a new head unit from Alpine or Pioneer, you will have much more functions and a better sound quality.

De: XXXX
Enviada: quarta-feira, 4 de Novembro de 2009 11:52
Para: Jorge Garcia
Assunto: Re: TFT DISPLAY LCD PORSCHE PCM 2.1 CAYENNE

Man - you have some great stuff! Does that BT interface require the PCM to have the "phone button"? I have seen kits that say the phone button is a must.

Also -

What about the speakers interface? Do you know if all the speakers are connected to the amp under the seat by the MOST fibre ring?
If so, is there an interface to allow a head unit like a pioneer with the typical high-level or pre-outs to connect into this ring? I hear you have to run physical wires to each speaker if you
want to use a none-porsche headunit.

Again - I am investigating in case this does not work. I am not going to give the dealer $1500 for a refurb - especially when the OEM unit has very few functions.

Jay

On Nov 4, 2009, at 6:32 PM, Jorge Garcia wrote:

It works like the original bluetooth kit, you can control all the functions through the navi unit

I can get steering wheel control interface for Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood and Clarion

<image001.jpg>

Enviada: quarta-feira, 4 de Novembro de 2009 11:27

Excellent - will it be universal or will it require the "phone button" on the PCM?

Also, can you tell me - does anyone make and do you sell,

1. A A/D converter that lets ANY (or certain) head units use the fiber optic communication to porsche speakers?

2. An interface that lets the steering wheel controls work with particular head units?

I ask as if this screen does not fix my problem, its much cheaper to install an aftermarket head unit
that does 100% more than the Porsche PCM.

Thanks,

Jay

On Nov 4, 2009, at 5:58 PM, Jorge Garcia wrote:

Thanks Jay

I will receive very soon a new bluetooth interface for PCM 2.1 with an unbeatable price

Enviada: quarta-feira, 4 de Novembro de 2009 10:30

Thanks Jorge

Jay

On Nov 4, 2009, at 5:07 PM, Jorge Garcia wrote:

Jay,

I will ship tomorrow by Express air mail, it may take 1 week.

Tracking number: XXXXXXXXX
www.usps.com

Best regards

Jorge

De: XXX
Enviada: quarta-feira, 4 de Novembro de 2009 09:42

Jorge - I just paid. Please send a tracking number and confirm once you send it.

Thanks much!

I hope this does the trick.

J

On Nov 4, 2009, at 3:40 PM, Jorge Garcia wrote:

Yes

Enviada: quarta-feira, 4 de Novembro de 2009 08:37
Importância: Alta

Woot! Thanks Jorge. Should I just buy it through this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/TFT-DISPLAY-LCD-...item35a4a7fd1c ?

Thanks,

Jay

On Nov 4, 2009, at 3:17 PM, Jorge Garcia wrote:

Hi Jay,

I have this lcd in stock

Thanks

Enviada: sexta-feira, 30 de Outubro de 2009 01:30

Jorge - Just email me here when you get them in and we can close the deal on ebay (I will mark my calendar)

Thanks so much and I will make sure I let my porsche forum members about you as a great source for PCM parts!

Jay

On Oct 29, 2009, at 8:46 PM, Jorge Garcia wrote:

Hi Jay,

Sorry for the late reply.
I have ordered displays for PCM2.1, it may take 10 days to arrive.

Thanks

Jorge

Enviada: quarta-feira, 28 de Outubro de 2009 22:43

Thanks Jorge. How soon before you can have one for 2.1???

Also, based on data on various forums, 2.1 is the DVD based unit and 2.0 were the older CD units.
is this correct, or should I look at my unit again to determine which version it is?

Let me know & you can count me in for 1 screen.

Thanks,

Jay

On Oct 28, 2009, at 5:50 PM, Jorge Garcia wrote:

Hi Jay,

The lcd is supplied with PCB like the fist picture you sent me.
I have checked and I only displays in stock for PCM 2.0, tomorrow I will order more displays.

Best regards

Jorge

De: XXXXXXXXXX
Enviada: quarta-feira, 28 de Outubro de 2009 19:11

Thanks Jorge.

Here is the link for the backside of the TFT: http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/p...IMG_0029-1.jpg

Here is the link for the entire dismantle of the unit: http://s412.photobucket.com/albums/p...albumview=grid

The problem that I have is as follows:

6 months ago the TFTY would be white while cold and then would go back to normal when warm.
As the problem progressed, i would have to push on the bottom of the screen to get it to come back to normal.
Now I have to push repeatedly to get anything to show up and its typically a "negative" image (screen is all white and text is grey ).
Occasionally I can get it to go back to normal, but it starts again with a good bump.

My assumption is that the ribbon connectors on the circuit board (see the 4 connectors) have bad soldier joints. Buy pushing on the screen
sometimes I can put pressure on the joint causing it to work. This is just based on my observations with other electronics and the fact that the
video data connections are at the bottom of the PCB where I push to make it work. All other functions work fine.