Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Turbo in snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 06:49 PM
ikold is infamous around these parts
Turbo in snow

I'm sure this has been discussed to death, I apologize in advance.

We are looking at getting an 05 Turbo Cayenne for a home we have in Telluride.

How well do these things perform in the snow (with snow tires / with stock tires). How well do they defrost? We are fans of the Range Rover's defroster in the glass (though in the summer we find it annoying).

Any advice for a new buyer?

Thanks

Old 11-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Adman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ikold

How well do these things perform in the snow (with snow tires / with stock tires). How well do they defrost? We are fans of the Range Rover's defroster in the glass (though in the summer we find it annoying).

Thanks
I am curious as well. Just picked up a CTT and am thinking that the traction control had better be amazing or that beast is going to be all over the place.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:36 AM
eVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant future
Ditto!

We did get out to do our first little gravel test drive to try out the AWD & PSM and it worked very well on street tires. I am looking forward to first snow and proper snowflake rubber to confirm.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...pictureid=9221

Old 11-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Adman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by eVoMotion
Ditto!

We did get out to do our first little gravel test drive to try out the AWD & PSM and it worked very well on street tires. I am looking forward to first snow and proper snowflake rubber to confirm.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...pictureid=9221
Looks like somewhere near bend if I were to venture a guess.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Seano is infamous around these parts
Tire choice is going to make/break you. AWD with summer tires + snow = All Wheel Drift.

There are some good threads on here about different tire/wheel setups and your usage will really determine the best choice for you. If this truck stays in Telluride, you'd probably do yourself a big favor putting a winter setup on there.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:54 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ikold

Thanks
Love Telluride we go several times a year, we have a Toyota Landcruiser there, I would love to take my CTT out on some of the passes, the airport crossover would be a blast! Do you know Seth? from Skier's Union, good friend of ours

Old 11-05-2009, 12:31 PM
ikold is infamous around these parts
Don't know Seth, but I know the road you speak of we fly in to Telluride and are going to keep the car in a hangar there at the airport.

We are retiring our 2004 Range Rover and it does REALLY WELL in the snow with snow tires (I think Pirelli Scorpion). Hoping that a CTT can do as well. The Rover is getting older, time for something with more oomph.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:54 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
With the right tires I don't think you could go wrong, weight is almost the same, all wheel traction, just alot more power. I have seen several CTT's in town, anybody have any great recommendations for high performance snow tires?

Old 11-05-2009, 02:07 PM
bcherry is infamous around these parts
We had our CTT in Utah for one winter... a hard one, 7 months of snow ON THE GROUND. I must say that i was very impressed with its performance. Take it to a clear parking lot or something to learn it's limits, especially turning (turning was always less effective than stopping) and then just stay within those limits. I had 22" high performance tires on and it would drive just fine through a foot a half of powder or plowed/packed. i must say that it was REALLY fun... also, we have the cold weather package (not sure what it's officially called) which was REALLY nice... when parked outside at work all day (2 feet of new snow, ice, etc.) it did not take long at all to defrost. Enjoy!!

Old 11-05-2009, 02:35 PM
pct2005 is infamous around these parts
I had my 05 CTT in a real gnar snow storm in big bear in california which was like a class 3 or something like that where they wanted me to put snow chains on the wheels prior to go up the mountain, snow fall was at 1500 feet on the way up to big bear. I didn't put chains on and just drove up. I was running the stock wheels 19" and whatever the stock tires are, can't remember I'm running 22's now, and the front tires were pretty warn out, roughly 500 miles left on them. Was going through powder up to about the middle of the doors all the way up through 25 miles. It handled it no problem and I pulled out 4 range rovers and a Land Rover on the way up that had chains on. This thing was an animal. Did not get stuck one time and 2 of the people with range rovers were like S*** should've bought a Porsche.

What I drove through, they were finally clearing the roads

After the road clearing, notice how high the snow was in Bear and it had stopped snowing for 2 hours.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:39 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Please give me a call. I'd be happy to answer all questions and help get you into what you need?

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 11-05-2009, 03:35 PM
huskyfan23 is infamous around these parts
I used mine in snow with stock tires for 2 days. There was NO traction. You need A/T tires for winter driving.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
heated windshield will be missed - make sure you stick with the air suspension - standard on the turbo but optional in case you go to an S.

both of them have back windows that suck snow like a vacum.

the turbo was lower than spouses LR3 - handy when clearing off the roof.

otherwise both great winter vehicles

Last edited by Cpa4S; 11-05-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:40 PM
knicks is infamous around these parts
air suspension is key to snow, it helps out alot if you dont have a/t or snow tires on.

ive whipped my cayenne around unplowed parking lots of maybe 6 inches of snow with >500 miles left on A/T tires and it did amazing, maybe the most fun ive had and will ever have for the next couple years in the snow with a car. Never felt the feel of flipping. did feel the loss of traction but then again i ahve an underpowered heavy truck on weak A/T tires, but it still did well

Old 11-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Seano is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
With the right tires I don't think you could go wrong, weight is almost the same, all wheel traction, just alot more power. I have seen several CTT's in town, anybody have any great recommendations for high performance snow tires?
A lot of people like the Pirelli Scorpion Snow & Ice. I've currently use (and like) the Bridgestone Blizzak's on my Audi S6 wagon and previously ran the Pirellis. Didn't think the bad weather traction on the Cayenne/Pirelli combo kept up with the S6/Blizzak combo, so decided to try a different tire.

I just this week put on a set of Nokian WR G2 SUV's - V rated "all season" that still have the snowflake/mtn symbol. Nokian has always had a rep for making bomber winter tires and looking at the tread/reading reports on this all season tire by Nokian, I'm expecting the tire to compete directly with all other winter only offerings.

At this point, can only report on warm/dry and light rain handling so far: nice, stiff sidewalls and very precise turn in (as compared to my Blizzaks & previous experience with the Pirellis). Feel sure footed and still reasonably sporty, even though I set these up on my 18's: 255/55 series tires. No, they aren't going to compete with my Summer setup, but so far I'm quite pleased.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo in snow