Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne towing, aftermarket wheel limitations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 05:10 PM
scott_fx is infamous around these parts
Cayenne towing, aftermarket wheel limitations?

Hey Guys,

I"m looking to update my cs but I use the truck to tow in the summer. The boat and trailer weight about 6,000 lbs.

is there anything i should look out for/consider in terms of wheel/tires size?

thanks,

scott

Old 11-21-2009, 06:43 AM
WayneE is infamous around these parts
Be certain the load rating on the new wheels and tires meets or exceeds the OEM setup.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:31 PM
i've been talking with the owner of a local shop and decided to go with some 20" repro's and bridgestone dueler hp sports. 275/40r20 tires. he said that these are 'NO' tires (i think that meant that they fall with in porsche's specs)

i asked him about lowering the cs and he suggested against it: "Lowering a SUV is just not recommended cause it causes off alignment and weight problems and tires would not last more than 6000 miles. Stay away if you don't want problems."

this is the first suv i've had and i never used to tow before. has anyone heard about this issue? I would like the tires to last as long as possible.

thanks,

scott

Old 12-01-2009, 08:21 PM
can anyone help me out with the lowering question?

Old 12-03-2009, 07:18 PM
kokinos is infamous around these parts
scott lowering an SUV with the proper parts won't change the speed of thread wear. The turbo you can lower/raise from the factory. With a 6000 pound boat though it pays to be cautious when doing a fairly major change to your truck. I'd get a few more opinions from ppl in the know before you make up your mind.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:22 PM
thanks for your reply. i've been asking over at the malibu forums and doing some research. a concern that was brought up was having the trailer be level. that can be remedied with a special trailer hitch that compensates for the height difference. another thing that was brought up was changing the spring rate. I looked at the eibach website's faq and found this:
# Can I load the normally allowed load (trunk) also with an Eibach Pro-Kit?
All Eibach Pro-Kits are designed for the same maximum load like the OE springs. Actually, a progressive Eibach spring generates higher resistance under heavier load.

# What is the spring rate of the Pro-Kit?
Only simple linear springs have a spring rate. A sophisticated progressive Eibach Pro-Kit spring has a load/deflection characteristic. The special design parameters are only accessable through Eibach Desk-Tech Database to Eibach´s exclusive partners.

i'm thinking it may not be as big of a deal. but still have some more research to do.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:55 PM
kokinos is infamous around these parts
Scott Eibach makes a really solid product from my experience so you should feel comfortable going with them.

Even if you have to raise the trailer ball higher then the bumper so when you have to hook up the boat you will have an extra 3 inches in case you back up too much. I sometimes get too close for comfort during hook-up and end up a 1/4 inch from hitting the bumper. Thats what happens though when you always hook-up the boat alone... but at least my guests bring food and drinks

I'm sure lots of ppl have lowered their Cayennes and towed and since you can't find any horror stories you should be in the clear. It may help if you find out if the Turbo owners here tow their toys when their suspension is setup on low highway level. If thats the case you should be fine... I'm no expert but do own a auto bodyshop and fix lots of Cayennes involved in accidents so I know a bit about your general concerns.

Cheers and throw up some pics with the Malibu, very nice boats by the way, do you have Wakesetter by any chance?

Old 12-03-2009, 08:36 PM
thanks for the input. I don't actually have a wakesetter. i have a 98 sunsetter which has the same hull and engine as the wakesetters up to 2003. it has a tower, perfect pass and 1200 lbs of ballast and kicks out a pretty great wake. I don't have may pics of the cayenne towing the boat, i'll have to take a better one next year with the new wheels.

it's such a fun boat and the wake can get downright frightening at speed. so much fun!