Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Nitrogen inflation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 08:29 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Nitrogen inflation

Does anybody have the pros and cons with nitrogen filled tires??

Old 12-02-2009, 09:24 AM
canberk is infamous around these parts
always constant tire pressure, therefore better gas mileage, slower tire wear, increased safety.

no cons..

Old 12-02-2009, 01:30 PM
WayneE is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by canberk
always constant tire pressure, therefore better gas mileage, slower tire wear, increased safety.

no cons..

On vehicles with TPMS, the benefits are overstated, IMO. Same if you regularly check your tire pressure.

If it's free, by all means go for it. If you're paying for it, only do it if you're lazy

Old 12-03-2009, 12:11 AM
canberk is infamous around these parts
if you live in a place where outside temperature fluctuates a lot, like in michigan. It's 30 degrees at night, 65 degrees during the day. It helps to have nitrogen in your tires, otherwise tire pressure fluctuates a lot. And one more thing, it increases tire life, as you always have constant pressure and your tires are not inflating and deflating all the time due to pressure difference that occurs as the tires heat up while driving.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:29 AM
VAGtuner is infamous around these parts
I would used nitrogen on a Track car only IMO.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:49 PM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
I really dont know if you could tell a difference between clean dry compressed air or nitrogen in a street tire, or any tire for that matter.... being 70% nitrogen as it is, I think the expansion rates would be very similar, throw moisture into the mix and then you might change things a little.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:35 AM
mtimmy415 is infamous around these parts
I think all of the big tire places uses nitrogen now

Old 12-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Jagman1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Porsche917
I really dont know if you could tell a difference between clean dry compressed air or nitrogen in a street tire, or any tire for that matter.... being 70% nitrogen as it is, I think the expansion rates would be very similar, throw moisture into the mix and then you might change things a little.
It's the moisture in the normal air that makes the difference, in more ways than one. Moisture is bad for rubber/silica and wheels and TPMS sensors. Also, the smaller size of the water molecule is what leads to air leaking out faster. (I'm not a chemist, and can't explain these things, I just read them from a reliable source). N2 filling stations have better drying systems than air compressors alone.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:29 PM
lilindienplaya is infamous around these parts
and nitrogen is lighter also

Old 12-05-2009, 04:28 AM
DUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud of
I use CO2 from a PowerTank© to air up after running with reduced tire pressures off road; and it works just fine.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Road Runner is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
Does anybody have the pros and cons with nitrogen filled tires??
No cons but the pros are highly overrated!

1) Our air is already 78% nitrogen!

2) Aluminum rims are usually destroyed from hitting a curb or pot hole before they are destroyed from internal oxidation and moisture.

3) The tire tread will wear out faster then the inner rubber deteriorates from the exposure to the oxygen.

4) Unless you race at the track where very small fluctuations in pressure can make a huge difference, the pressure issue is irrelevant. All gases expand and contract with temperature including Nitrogen!
Small leaks around the rim or valve stem over time are more of a concern. Unless you go back to your tire shop every time a tire is a bit low on air or have your own nitrogen cylinder in your garage, when you top up you will be adding some oxygen anyway!

Not worth it unless it is totally free, just my opinion.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Road Runner is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lilindienplaya
and nitrogen is lighter also
That works out to less than an ounce in total for most vehicles!

Old 12-07-2009, 12:08 PM
WayneE is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Road Runner
Not worth it unless it is totally free, just my opinion.

Originally Posted by WayneE
If it's free, by all means go for it.

Agreed.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:11 PM
medtech is infamous around these parts
Pros: Potentially dried, filtered air in your tires.

Cons: Only your wallet will be lighter; no cigarrette offered after you've been taken advantage of.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:24 PM
knicks is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jagman1
It's the moisture in the normal air that makes the difference, in more ways than one. Moisture is bad for rubber/silica and wheels and TPMS sensors. Also, the smaller size of the water molecule is what leads to air leaking out faster. (I'm not a chemist, and can't explain these things, I just read them from a reliable source). N2 filling stations have better drying systems than air compressors alone.
im not sure if this persists for tires, but if i remember correctly, the water molecules can go through the rubber or affect the inner surface if they are smaller because rubber is a selective membrane? something like that?

I wouldnt fill up with nitrogen if i had to pay.