Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Retrofitting XM to PCM 3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Registered PM
rawint is infamous around these parts
Retrofitting XM to PCM 3?

Hi All,

Hoping someone here can help me out...

I just purchased a 2010 Cayenne GTS, and although I was told that it had XM, when I took delivery, my dealer nonchalantly mentioned that he was wrong, and that it didn't have it! I almost killed the deal right then and there, but then thought better of scrapping an otherwise PERFECT car just to listen to Howard Stern in the morning!

Well, I took the car, and now I could kick myself. Life without satellite is unbearable. I live in Miami, and the regular radio is unlistenable. I have the iPod integration, but I really miss the diversity of satellite.

Anyone figure out a way to retrofit XM into their PCM 3 (other than getting an external Sirius/XM)? The dealer has offered to install an aftermarket Sirius receiver into my sunglass holder (free of charge), but it seems like a pretty ghetto solution for a $90K car... not to mention, it wouldn't display on the PCM.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!!!

Thanks, in advance!

Old 12-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Rec Racing has a spectacular aura aboutRec Racing has a spectacular aura about
I have posted this same question numerous times on this forum to no avail. I have a 2009 GTS also without XM. The dealer told me at delivery that we were DAYS away from the module being released that would allow a retro fit. Still nothing out there, very frustrating!!!!!!

Old 12-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Registered PM
Tell me about it... what's even MORE frustrating is that I've been told that there's actually no way to upgrade. Unlike PCM 2, where there was a separate XM module, I was told that XM is actually hardwired to the board of the new PCM. I don't know if it's true, but that's what a very reputable shop told me.

Hopefully, someone will figure out a way to get around this!

For the meantime, if you have an iPhone and the AUX input, you can download the app to listen through your iPhone. This works better than getting a stand alone sat receiver, because it works through 3G (rather than needing an antenna or direct line of sight to the satellite)... If you're a Stern fan, the actual Sirius XM app won't let you listen to him, but you can get an app called Pocket Tunes that will...

I just tried it, and it sounds as good as a factory install. Controlling it sucks, but definitely works well until someone figures it out for us!

Old 12-14-2009, 01:38 PM
TT
TT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of light
I'm sorry to hear this. Look at the bright side: you have the ipod integration kit.

Do you have the AUX and USB inputs as well in the center console? I'm sure there is a way to integrate satellite radio, especially if you have the aux input.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:49 PM
RojoGTS is infamous around these parts
I have the same problem 2010 GTS no XM or Ipod, I have Been thinking of getting the aux input from Mobridge and Use the Aux input for XM but there has got to be a better way....

Old 12-15-2009, 12:43 AM
freshwhite335 is infamous around these partsfreshwhite335 is infamous around these parts
I think MidCity Engineering did something for the last gen PCM. Hit them up and see if they have anything in the works...

Old 12-15-2009, 10:30 AM
CBSKIER is infamous around these parts
FYI- XM has a new product called the "XM skydock" for about $120. If you have an Ipod or Iphone you can transmit through radio. I am thinking of going this route for XM and ipod. Anyone else tried this?

Old 12-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Rec Racing has a spectacular aura aboutRec Racing has a spectacular aura about
The short answer is crappy. The signal comes through the FM band, it is not digital and sometimes fades in and out. You want true digital input.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Registered PM
Found a solution (sort of)

Thanks for all of the replies... It's really a shame that Porsche has gone dark on this topic, considering I've heard from many sources that it had been promised. Oh well...

In the meantime, I've found an excellent solution, albeit somewhat inconvenient (and expensive).

By using an iPhone and the AUX in, I get my daily dose of Howard Stern, and a pretty satisfying solution while I wait for Porsche to get with the program!

If you're like me, and the only reason you even want satellite in the first place, is to listen to Howard, then the Sirius|XM app is useless to you... The app you need is called WunderRadio, which will allow you to access your Sirius Online account through your iPhone. You only need to enter your credentials once, and the app remembers them from then on! It also allows you to make a button on home screen (for the specific station you want), so all you need to do is plug your iphone into the AUX in, press the button, and listen away! The sound is as good (or better) than the OEM solution.

An added bonus is that you can take your Sirius|XM with you when you get out of the car! Now, I can listen to Sirius in the gym too!!!

The only downside is that 9 out of 10 times, I get out of my car and forget to take the iPhone with me, since it's tucked away in the center console! It sounds so good, that I forget that I'm listening through the phone!!!

If anyone figures out a better solution, PLEASE let me know!!!!

Thanks!!!

Old 02-18-2010, 03:05 PM
DUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud ofDUTCH VanAtlant has much to be proud of
XM now has an app for the Blackberry too.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:06 PM
2Dakar is infamous around these parts
I have a 2009 Porsche Cayenne S, we just got a 2010 Lexus GX460 and love the Xm in that but could i modify the AUX in PCM and use this http://shop.xmradio.com/xm/ctl10600/...l1/xm_direct_2

I'm tempted to buy it and try, just for kicks, lol

Old 12-14-2010, 11:02 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Any news on this. The dealers said I could retrofit it when buying the car - easy he said - so I am about to pick it up and find out it is an external unit - I almost lost my mind! Will need to install the Sirius external unit in the mean time. I guess we miss what we have!