Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

GTS in the snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:39 AM
WayneE is infamous around these parts
Summer tires are useless in the white stuff. Even with ultra high perf all seasons, my truck is rocking through the deep stuff.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:42 AM
jyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond repute
yep, def a tire issue.
question, what 'mode' should you put the transmission in when you have heavy snow and icy road? on my old range rover sport, you just turn the dial to snow. and i do miss the heated front windshield from the rrs.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:34 AM
I keep my transmission in manual mode all the time.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:26 PM
72offsuit is a jewel in the rough72offsuit is a jewel in the rough72offsuit is a jewel in the rough
Using 295/35R21 Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow (107V) - on my 09 CTS with OEM 21 inch GTS wheels. Had it out in storm on east coast today and ran through everything like a champ.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
The recent storm gave us around 22" and our gts still has the factory PS2's on so it was terrible. I didn't even bother trying to drive it after the first 6" My father also has a base model cayenne with all seasons which was much more appropriate for road conditions and actually did a lot better than I expected it to.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Got my driveway all cleared and the warm sun today dried it, so we (hopefully) won't have any icing problems overnight.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:35 PM
WakeCayenne is infamous around these parts
While we're on the topic: what winter tires would everyone recommend?

I foolishly thought I could deal with the 22" wheels w/summer tires for the 4 weeks I'm back in PA over holiday break. The recent storm proved otherwise.

I need to get my OEM 18"s back on ASAP, as I'm going skiing on Tuesday, but want to put a set of nice winter tires since the all season tires Goodyear's from the factory have terrible winter/snow ratings on Tire Rack.

Suggestions? The Scorpion Ice & Snow seems like the a good option.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:43 PM
I think any performance snow tire will do fine. Ping Damon @ Tire Rack. He's always got good recommendations.

All seasons will get you through the snow when they're new, but snow performance will diminish quickly with some miles. That said, I'm running Conti Extreme DWS all seasons on 19" replicas right now.

YMMV, etc.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:40 PM
CCK
CCK is infamous around these parts
Coooooooold weather!

Old 12-20-2009, 05:06 PM
eVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant future
Off topic~ish - I just got a set of Blizzaks LM-25s Performance Snows from Damon a week ago. Now it is raining & 55. Grrr. I went with these over the Pirelli for a number of reasons, mostly due to the fact that most of the time I am not in the snow...driving to and from it, but not daily...and want to not be slowed by the wobble of full on snow & ice tires.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:08 PM
eVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant future
Off topic~ish - I just got a set of Blizzaks LM-25s Performance Snows on my stock 20s from Damon a week ago. Now it is raining & 55. Grrr. I went with these over the Pirelli for a number of reasons, mostly due to the fact that most of the time I am not in the snow...driving to and from it, but not daily...and want to not be slowed by the wobble of full on snow & ice tires on wet & dry pavement.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:23 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Very Cool Wayne! My Cayman S hasnt left the garage here in Chester County, PA since Friday evening .....glad to see your out using the truck for what its meant for! Awesome

Old 12-20-2009, 07:42 PM
knicks is infamous around these parts
i took both quads with my hs friend out to go to my favorite parking lot and rip it up. i hooked up the trailer and loaded the quads, and ended up barely using them. This truck is so much fun, despite the underpowered-ness

Attached Images   
Old 12-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Road Runner is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by skier
I drove up through a blizzard south of Tahoe last weekend and the GTS honestly is super solid in the snow. I've got some 18" pirelli scorpion ice + snow and couldn't be happier. Of course, the 21's look more sleek, but the murdered winter setup isn't too shabby either. I'll try to post some winter pics when I get a chance.
I also have the 19" Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow on OEM rims, and they are fantastic in the snow and also corner beyond expectations on the on/off ramps! The vehicle is like a tractor on steroids.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:10 AM
Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
Very Cool Wayne! My Cayman S hasnt left the garage here in Chester County, PA since Friday evening .....glad to see your out using the truck for what its meant for! Awesome

Might be another day or 2 before you can roll that thing back out

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GTS in the snow