Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

GTS in the snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 07:39 AM
WayneE is infamous around these parts
GTS in the snow

Being in the thick of the winter storm hitting the DC area, I thought I'd post up my impressions of my GTS in the snow so far.

Yesterday I put on a set of 19x9 replicas with 275/45 17 Conti Extreme DWS. When I went out this morning, we had 6-8" of unplowed snow on my drive. Since my Polaris (POS!) is in the shop again, I don't have any way to plow. I figured I would give a go at getting out on to the roads (about 1000' from my house to the street).

Well I had no issues at all getting out or back in. My drive is fairly steep, but the GTS just rolled up with no issues.

The road in front of my house has been plowed twice, but it's still snow covered.

I'm very happy with the setup in the snow and dry so far. It's not as sharp as the stock 21s with summers on it in the dry, but the snow performance more than makes up for the performance in the dry.

I'll post more as the snow keeps falling. The forecast is calling for a little more than 1.5 feet.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Now it's really coming down. My neighbor cleared our shared drive and did a swipe down the center of mine, just to keep ahead of the heavy stuff.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:32 AM
skier is infamous around these parts
I drove up through a blizzard south of Tahoe last weekend and the GTS honestly is super solid in the snow. I've got some 18" pirelli scorpion ice + snow and couldn't be happier. Of course, the 21's look more sleek, but the murdered winter setup isn't too shabby either. I'll try to post some winter pics when I get a chance.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:50 AM
ikold is infamous around these parts
Drove my turbo in 14" of fresh last week in Southern Colorado. Was absolutely impressed. I think it performed better than my RangeRover does.
Very happy with the snow performance and they PSM is pretty slick.

Have yet to try locking the hubs, anything that would require it would be so deep that you'd likely high-center the thing.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:59 AM
mrvegas is infamous around these parts
Hey Wayne,

I live in DC also! Looks like over 12" in my Columbia Md neighborhood!!!

I have an 09 GTS but I still have my summer tires on.

I'm thinking about trying to go to the grocery store anyway.

I have never used the off-roading settings on my GTS. Should I use those, or just try driving in normal automatic transmission ... or stay home???

Old 12-19-2009, 11:02 AM
ikold is infamous around these parts
Try normal first. With the high suspension setting.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Stay home. Those tires won't be worth a **** in snow.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:04 PM
mrvegas is infamous around these parts
My wife has an AWD Audi A3 with all season Michelins. Should I try to get out in that or do you think the snow is too deep?

Old 12-19-2009, 12:17 PM
That would be safer, IMO. As long as the snow isn't deeper than the front bumper, the AWD A3 should be fine.

I have my GTS in special terrain mode and the snow is now as high as the lower fascia. At least the dogs are having fun

Old 12-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Polar993 has a spectacular aura aboutPolar993 has a spectacular aura about
Awesome pics!!!

I'm building a house back East, moving in March. I put 22" replicas on my '09 GTS with Yokohama Parada Spec-X's. The Parada is rated fairly well in the snow, but I we'll see how she does.

Planning a couple of trips to Tahoe this season before the move.....

Old 12-19-2009, 01:41 PM
knicks is infamous around these parts
expected 24-36 inches today here in NJ/LI

Im so pumped man, havent had this much snow ina while

Old 12-19-2009, 02:47 PM
eVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant future
Dang! I put on Blizzaks when it was in the teens here, but now it is 50s & rain. I really want to try them out. Looks like a fun day to run to get some milk...the long way.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:58 PM
skier is infamous around these parts
Last Sunday morning up HWY 88 heading to Kirkwood. Unless ridiculously deep, I generally drive at the lowest setting for suspension as it seems to handle much better than the higher level.

3000 feet….

5000 feet….

9000 feet….

The way home looked better....

Check out the full ski report here:

http://www.slaythegnar.com/2009/12/t...hoe-kw-121409/

Last edited by skier; 12-19-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:24 PM
lumber is infamous around these parts
awesome post...ive got 20' snows on my gts and am very pleased with its performance...bring on the snow

Old 12-20-2009, 08:36 AM
jyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond repute
i have a 09 cayenne s with oem 21 inch gts rims and summer tires. That's just say i would NOT take the truck out in the snow again. i was stuck at least 3 times on the highway and bigger roads, blocking traffic and watching toyota camrys and crossovers passing right by me. Pretty embarassing to be honest.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GTS in the snow