Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

white smoke

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 06:10 PM
dutchgirl6484 is infamous around these parts
white smoke

I have an 05 CS with a new engine (I guess rebuilt) that was put in abt 4k miles back, it has less than 50k miles on it in total.
There seems to be moderate to heavy white smoke (its that much that you can notice it in rear view and side mirrors), i didn't notice this before. This happens not only when i start cold but also when the engine has warmed up .. at first I though that its just cuz of the colder weather but strange to see that other cars have more of normal smoke coming out and mine has a lot more white smoke. Also when i bring it back in the garage, light white smoke comes out of both exhaust for a min or two.
From what I found by searching that this may be due to a coolant mixing with oil. Anyone else has issues with white smoke?

Old 12-26-2009, 08:04 PM
doctorjj is infamous around these parts
White smoke could also just indicate burning oil. Does the engine suffer from oil consumption or coolant loss?

Old 12-26-2009, 10:45 PM
knicks is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by doctorjj
White smoke could also just indicate burning oil. Does the engine suffer from oil consumption or coolant loss?
i thought oil creates black smoke?

Old 12-26-2009, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Afroman
i thought oil creates black smoke?
Nope. Not always. Actually, in my experience most of the time you're burning oil it is white or blue/white smoke. Coolant can also appear "white" as it is actually just steam, but oil can definitely produce a white smoke.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:08 PM
there hasn't been any oil consumption or coolant loss ... both i check almost biweekly and haven't noticed any difference. A few mths back the coolant level was below min and I topped it off and its still at max

Old 12-26-2009, 11:11 PM
If you haven't lost any coolant or oil, then there can't be anything else it is burning other than fuel. Most likely it is just moisture. When hydrocarbons are burned, water is produced. Depending on how far you drive, you can have quite a bit of condensation build up in your exhaust system. With the colder mornings, you are just going to notice the "white smoke" more than you will in warmer weather. It's just the moisture. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:20 PM
ok, I hope thats the case, thanks for the advice .. I will keep an eye open for any oil/cooalnt loss.

If you haven't lost any coolant or oil, then there can't be anything else it is burning other than fuel. Most likely it is just moisture. When hydrocarbons are burned, water is produced. Depending on how far you drive, you can have quite a bit of condensation build up in your exhaust system. With the colder mornings, you are just going to notice the "white smoke" more than you will in warmer weather. It's just the moisture. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:50 AM
Road Runner is infamous around these parts
Too much white smoke can be antifreeze getting into the cylinders. Oil usually has a a noticeable blue tint. I would monitor your coolant levels over the next few days, as it should not go down.
Also, check your oil to see if it has a milky look about it! (not a good sign)
If so, have it looked at before it is too late and you blow your motor. You may have a bad head gasket.

I am not trying to scare you, but a friend of mine had the exact same problem but waited too long and ignored my advice. He unfortunately completely destroyed his engine!

Good luck, and I hope everything turns out okay.