Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne & alternatives (for 3 car seats)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 05:45 PM
z145433 is infamous around these parts
don't overlook the E350, E500 or E550, used versions are way down in price and they are great people movers.
I have an E500 4matic with the michelin x-ice tires and it has no problem in the snow and ice. lots of leg room, 5 adults ride comfortably and the trunk is huge.
you can get 4 sets of golf clubs in the trunk, something that takes effort with a cayenne or X5.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:13 AM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
Originally Posted by SeattleTTS
Interesting - always thought of it as too small, coming from the Denali XL. But we do want something smaller - just don't want to go TOO small. Will check it out for sure. Does it drive more like a truck or have they refined it some for on-road use? I know they are the ultimate for off-road, just haven't read up on on-road drivability. Will go and drive one....
It looks small but it ain't small. I've driven a Discovery 2 and all I can say is the LR3 is a huge leap of improvement on-road. It still ain't an X5 but it's definitely better and easier to drive compared to an Expedition or an Armada, vehicles of the same class as the Denali. A test drive is the best way to find out if it is for you or not. It is definitely suitable for me and my family's use.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:18 PM
wrasse is infamous around these parts
X5 great ride with 4.8

Old 01-12-2010, 12:07 PM
SeattleTTS has a spectacular aura aboutSeattleTTS has a spectacular aura aboutSeattleTTS has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by GroupB
What about a 550 R-class Mercedes (or even a 63 AMG series!?).

Rare car, plenty of luxury, and easily 400+ hp with a simple ECU flash.
I can't get over the R-class appearance. Horrid...

Old 01-12-2010, 12:23 PM
RxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud ofRxPorsche has much to be proud of
A Honda Pilot or an Acura MDX can work for you.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:32 PM
SeattleTTS has a spectacular aura aboutSeattleTTS has a spectacular aura aboutSeattleTTS has a spectacular aura about

Um, no...

Originally Posted by RxPorsche
A Honda Pilot or an Acura MDX can work for you.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Cayenne328 is infamous around these parts
7 seat SUV I would only consider Merc GL and the LR4.
Both provide spacious 3rd row seats.
The downside is the GL only allows the right hand 2nd row to be folded down for 3rd row access.

Q7 and X5 3rd rows are only for children.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Cayenne328
7 seat SUV I would only consider Merc GL and the LR4.
Both provide spacious 3rd row seats.
The downside is the GL only allows the right hand 2nd row to be folded down for 3rd row access.

Q7 and X5 3rd rows are only for children.
Keep hearing LR4 - think I will go drive one today. Have always shy'd away due to what I thought was poor on-road characteristics. But will go check it out...

Old 01-13-2010, 10:50 AM
zschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud of
+1 on the new LR4. We have a LR3 now and love it. Its just the right size. If you get the the HSE LUX with the air suspension you cant go wrong. Extremely comfortable. Its also considerably less than the X5, GL450 with all the options. I think the full loaded LR4 has a $60k msrp and the X5 and Gl450 are in the $70's. BTW, I have had no issues at all with my LR3.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:55 AM
More questions of LR3/LR4....

Originally Posted by zschicago
+1 on the new LR4. We have a LR3 now and love it. Its just the right size. If you get the the HSE LUX with the air suspension you cant go wrong. Extremely comfortable. Its also considerably less than the X5, GL450 with all the options. I think the full loaded LR4 has a $60k msrp and the X5 and Gl450 are in the $70's. BTW, I have had no issues at all with my LR3.
Good to know - thanks for the input. How is the cargo space behind the third row? We have a med size dog that sometimes rides in the back of the Denali - is there room for the dog and some groceries when the third row is up?

Also - how is the width of the middle row? Do you think one could fit two boosters and a third child not in a booster?

Old 01-13-2010, 11:11 AM
WayneE is infamous around these parts
Good to know - thanks for the input. How is the cargo space behind the third row? We have a med size dog that sometimes rides in the back of the Denali - is there room for the dog and some groceries when the third row is up?

You're going to be disappointed with the room in most SUVs and wagons if you're coming from a Yukon XL.

I had a 2008 Yukon XL Denali. Those things will swallow just about everything you can throw at them. As far as being a POS, I don't think it had any more or less problems than my Cayenne, just not as much fun to drive. Great vehicle for long trips, though. I logged 14k miles in just 7mos and then sold it.

What problems have you experienced with your Yukon?

Old 01-13-2010, 11:28 AM
zschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud of

Also - how is the width of the middle row? Do you think one could fit two boosters and a third child not in a booster?

Here is a photo of the interior. I dont think you would have any problem with the seats. As far as the space behind the 3rd row. Its tight. Manual says 13.5". But since both seats are independent you could just have one up. They even make a gate for that setup. Leave it to the brits.

Attached Images  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
lr4.pdf (204.0 KB, 69 views)