Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Mechanical gurus needed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 04:51 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Mechanical gurus needed...

My 2005 CTT recently started making a whirling noise on startup. First thing that popped in my mind was the starter. Typically, a bad starter will only make noise as soon as the engine starts, caused by the starter drive not retracting and disengaging from the ring gear on the flywheel. The funny thing is that it only makes the loud whirl when the car starts in cold temperatures...we've been seeing single digit temperatures. Once the car is off and running, startup's with a warm engine no longer make the whirl.

Unlike other vehicles, the started on the Cayenne is (1) very pricey (upwards to $600-800 new, $400-600 rebuilt and (2) located under the intake manifold and a little labor intensive to get to.

Is this a failing starter or is the noise coming from a dry bushing in the bendix drive?

Any opinions?

Old 01-10-2010, 07:45 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
My 2005 CTT recently started making a whirling noise on startup. First thing that popped in my mind was the starter. Typically, a bad starter will only make noise as soon as the engine starts, caused by the starter drive not retracting and disengaging from the ring gear on the flywheel. The funny thing is that it only makes the loud whirl when the car starts in cold temperatures...we've been seeing single digit temperatures. Once the car is off and running, startup's with a warm engine no longer make the whirl.

Unlike other vehicles, the started on the Cayenne is (1) very pricey (upwards to $600-800 new, $400-600 rebuilt and (2) located under the intake manifold and a little labor intensive to get to.

Is this a failing starter or is the noise coming from a dry bushing in the bendix drive?

Any opinions?
Sometimes the water pump will make more noise on startup than under normal operation, especially when it is first starting to go, bearing type noise. I have heard the starters make noise intermittantly, as you stated, when the vehicle is first started, it chatters a bit.

Last edited by porschespeeddemon; 01-10-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:49 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porschespeeddemon
Sometimes the water pump will make more noise on startup than under normal operation, especially when it is first starting to go, bearing type noise.
I thought of that...but the noise goes away immediately after the engine starts. As soon as the cylinders fire and the engine turns over, the noise goes away. Consistent in the duration of noise when it happens...again only when it is really cold.

- bob

Old 01-10-2010, 11:11 PM
brujo65 is infamous around these parts
it is the air pumps

Old 01-11-2010, 01:12 AM
NanaimoCTT is infamous around these parts
if it sounds like a kazoo, then its your starter!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:20 AM
tonga3 is infamous around these parts
My starter has been doing this for over a year intermittently. I have a starter waiting in the tool box but so far so good.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:14 AM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of

Tee-hee, you said 'bendix drive'. (I have no idea what that is...)

Old 01-11-2010, 11:55 AM
pct2005 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SeattleBum
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bendix+drive

Old 01-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by brujo65
it is the air pumps
Thanks for your input, but I am fairly sure it is not the air pumps. I know what they sound like, and I just rebuilt the compressor. The noise only occurs on startup for less than a second.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by SeattleBum
Not entirely sure why this is funny...

Last edited by bbywu; 01-11-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by tonga3
My starter has been doing this for over a year intermittently. I have a starter waiting in the tool box but so far so good.
Are you planning on installing it yourself? My understanding is that the unit is located under the intake manifolds. If I decide to tackle this...I'll be sure to do a DIY post.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
If it is in fact the starter.... good time to also do the coolant pipes if they havent been done already.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Porsche917
If it is in fact the starter.... good time to also do the coolant pipes if they havent been done already.
Yeah...I was planning on that until I found out the previous owner already did'em...

Old 01-11-2010, 05:58 PM
tonga3 is infamous around these parts
I will probably attempt it myself and do the coolant pipes at the same time. But I'm all for you trying it first.. If you need some info from the manual, let me know, I can send you some PDF files.
Andy
Yeah...I was planning on that until I found out the previous owner already did'em...

Old 01-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by tonga3
I will probably attempt it myself and do the coolant pipes at the same time. But I'm all for you trying it first..
lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mechanical gurus needed...