Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Looking to buy new Cayenne - any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:55 AM
ttm110 is infamous around these parts
Looking to buy new Cayenne - any suggestions?

Hi – new to this forum and hopefully new to the brand. I’m looking to buy a new Cayenne for my wife and have been reading this forum to learn more about other peoples’ experiences. I looked at a few other forums but this one seems quite active so I wanted to try here first!
We’re flexible on timing and are looking to get the best-deal possible. My wife has certain must-haves (like black interior for some reason and also only certain colors) but otherwise flexible on options, including V6 or V8 but not GTS. We’re planning to ‘buy and keep’ so although resale is important it's not as much as someone that is looking to trade in 3-5 years. That said, I’d like to ask a few questions and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction:
1. What time of year is generally best to buy a Cayenne? It seems many people did well towards the end of last year but I didn’t know if that was common or exasperated due to the economy
2. What are the thoughts on the 2011 model? Impact on 2010 purchasing strategy? My wife shops on appearances and at first blush likes the 10’s better
3. I’m trying to find 09 leftovers – some dealers show the inventory on their website but don’t actually have them. Any known quantities?
4. Any particular dealers to use (or stay away from) in the central NJ area?
5. Lastly, what is the bare-minimum discount people consider acceptable?
My apologies for the long list but any perspective would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Cayenne328 is infamous around these parts
I believe the new model will be smaller than the current shape.

Cayenne rear trunk is not extremely spacious.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:51 PM
zschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud of
wait for the 2011. Has the new panamera like interior.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Road Runner is infamous around these parts
I find the best way to buy any new vehicle is to ask the dealers for their best quote via email. The dealers will then compete against each other to get the sale. This also cleverly bypasses the smooth talking salesperson and his commission altogether, giving you a better deal!

The salespeople hate it when people do this!!!

Old 01-18-2010, 05:58 AM
WayneE is infamous around these parts
Your best price will be on a leftover, especially as the manufacturer adds incentives for the dealer to move them. Keep searching for those 2009s.

As far as discount, you should be able to get at least 20% off MSRP. Many of us have negotiated as much as 25%+ off MSRP. Someone posted in the "Deals on GTS" thread that they were able to get 24% off a 2009 GTS. I was able to negotiate 26% off a leftover 2008 in early 2009.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Banned
twiskus has a spectacular aura abouttwiskus has a spectacular aura abouttwiskus has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Road Runner
I find the best way to buy any new vehicle is to ask the dealers for their best quote via email. The dealers will then compete against each other to get the sale. This also cleverly bypasses the smooth talking salesperson and his commission altogether, giving you a better deal!

The salespeople hate it when people do this!!!
I love it when its all good for the consumer to "watch out for his wallet" but it's a detrimental sin for a salesperson to watch out for his, especially when he does the proper job...

Old 01-18-2010, 10:15 PM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
there are deals to be had on 2010 models since most dealers have already received their entire '10 allocations. My dealer called me 2 wks ago asking if I wanted a 2010 GTS or Transyberia for 12% off MSRP. The wanna push these things out.

As for the 2011 Cayennes, I'm not that big into them as of yet. They may grow on me. From the initial pics, it seems smaller and Mazda-ish from the rear end.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by twiskus
I love it when its all good for the consumer to "watch out for his wallet" but it's a detrimental sin for a salesperson to watch out for his, especially when he does the proper job...
I think I hit a nerve, by any chance are you in sales?

If I was purchasing a vehicle that I new absolutely nothing about and needed help to decide, test drive etc, then I would have to agree with you!

But not everyone is completely uninformed when they buy a new vehicle.
If someone knows exactly what they want right down to the smallest details, what does the salesperson do for them other then fill out the order form?
Is that worth the hundreds if not more dollars in commission?
I say absolutely not!

Also not everyone enjoys the high pressure sales pitch followed by the relentless followup phone calls that the sector is known for!

Just my opinion, take it or leave it.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:39 PM
JayJ is infamous around these parts
I think you can get a big discount on either an '09 or a '10. They need to move all of them.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by SeattleTTS
You have to go through a sales person to get your vehicle, regardless of how much work you perceive they are (or are not) doing. Let me know when you find a way to buy a new one without a sales person....
It is called email, super high tech stuff!!!

Old 01-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Sorry for the sarcasm, but all you have to do is email your local dealers for their best quotes and create a frenzy between them! Very effective for any brand of vehicle. Just try it, you have nothing to lose.
I have nothing to gain except for the smile on your face.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:08 PM
xspsi4 is infamous around these parts
I honestly don't like the 2011 looks my self so a year or 2 older would be nice in my book, I wish I had another 04 turbo s

Old 01-23-2010, 10:20 PM
xspsi4 is infamous around these parts
They are making money on you even when you show up thinking you have all the info and are getting a smoking deal.

Case in point - are the dealerships you shop at crapholes or nice places? Do they have receptionists, sales people, service departments? Yes...

And you paid for them....

I assume you want good service when you drop your car off...where do you think that comes from? Your wallet...
+1 and that is the bottom line.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Let me spell it out for you, cause you are clearly not getting my point. You aren't going to execute a purchase or a delivery of any car without an actual sales person in the mix. Email and internet gets you a lot of info, but doesn't put the car in your hands.

The dealer and sales person are part of the process, as much as you wish they weren't...
Sorry, but you are the one that is not getting the point!
It is so simple to bypass the the front line sales person and his commission, all you have to do is to contact the fleet manager or internet sales manager by email, or by phone and make an offer.
They will usually give you a much better deal, try it before you shoot it down.
This is done everyday, but most people are not aware that this is even an option for them.

This will be my last post on this thread as this is getting very silly now!
I was only trying to point out another way for the poster to save some money on his new purchase, not to get into an argument.
Have a nice day.

Last edited by Road Runner; 01-24-2010 at 11:18 PM.