Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2010 Turbo/Turbo S vs 2011 Cayenne Turbo, 2010/2011 X5M

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 02:30 PM
McoupeBobby is infamous around these parts
I would go with the x5m.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
And the reasons are?.....

How capable in snow? Obviously with proper wheels tires....
Just up to a foot of snow...

Top gear ripped the x6 apart last night...glad I'm not looking at that 4 seater....

Old 04-28-2010, 06:06 AM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jace
And the reasons are?.....

How capable in snow? Obviously with proper wheels tires....
Just up to a foot of snow...

Top gear ripped the x6 apart last night...glad I'm not looking at that 4 seater....

ctt for sure, I personally love the styling much more than the bimmer, I also like Porsches fit and finish much more than the bimmer.... and while it wasnt an M I did have 2 x5's before and while I did love em at that time, a CTT is just on another level in my view. To me the X5M doesnt really look any different than the regular version and just missing that menacing "im gonna eat the road" look.

Not sure if this helps but I hands down would go with the CTT

Old 04-29-2010, 12:33 PM
bmwman3241 is infamous around these parts
First off, I would like to say that Xoutpost would be the best forum for the X's including the X5/6M.

Here is a review from Car and Driver. Jeep SRT8 Vs X5M Vs Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vs Cayenne Turbo S.

First place goes to BMW X5M

Car and Driver Comparison

As for my opinion, I would recommend the X5M. Overall it is one of, if not the fastest SUV's out there. It also has the best price for for what you are getting. You can get it for as low as $500 over invoice. And, I am getting one..

As for the snow, here is what some owners said:

"I got a set of the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snows put on today. Except for a car that had four studded snow tires when I lived in a place that got 30' of snow a year, this is by far the best setup I've used. That includes a current A4 with 225 width tires! For the two things that really matter to me, stopping power and turning grip (pretty much any all-season or snow tires will accelerate well in an AWD car, except on ice), the car is unbelievably good. It will be our family's go-to vehicle in crappy conditions." - ilikebeer

"Drove home on ice & a bit of snow on my full size Pirelli Scorpions.
I'd say they offer a bit less grip than my previous 18" Scorpions due to the extra width and reduced aspect ratio.
Snowing more tonight. 6-8" by morning, so I'll post back.
I know I'm giving something up to keep the 'wide-tire' look, but 1st impressions are 'so far, so good'."
"We have about 6" on the ground here - and the side roads are pretty sloppy.
I'll give the full-width 20" Scorpions a 6.5/10 today on the drive in. By way of comparison, I'd give the 18" Scorpions on my previous (2006) 4.4i an 8.
I wouldn't recommend the full-width (and diameter) if you live in 'real' snow country eg. UP of Michigan, Upstate NY, Mountains.. In those uber-snow climates, you're better off springing for the full BMW wheel/tire package for $4K." - HIRISC

Here are some snow videos from BMW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csh5s...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5C8w...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiU7x...layer_embedded

Anything else you want to know!?

Old 05-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Great last post.
Please keep them coming...
I appreciate all examples and specifics

Old 05-07-2010, 12:18 PM
are the 2011's 8 speed?

worth getting the 3rd row, regular x5 50, and just do the computer tune to get the more HP?

Old 05-08-2010, 11:52 AM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
The 2011 X5 do have the 8 speed auto.

It is about what you feel you need. Personally, I find the 3rd row completely useless, and wouldn't need it for maybe 2-3 times out of the time I own the car.

They drive and handle differently. The X5M is much more raw in a lot of respects. Power delivery is immediate and visceral. I have not driven a 2011 X5, but have drive the 750i and X6 50. Great basic engine, but that is what it is. The transmission setup is totally different on the X5M, and the power from the standard TT V8 is not as immediate.

Again, my $0.02.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:21 PM
The M gets the 8 speed as well?
Can you please elaborate Jason? I find your write up very insightful. I want specifics between top of the line 50 vs loaded M.
Want the power of the M but want all comforts interior.
Comfort seats are a must.
How are they different machines? Engines, specifics....

I did all the research I could before my most
recent Porsche Cayenne GTS purchase trying to do yhe same with this....

Thanks!

Jason

Old 07-15-2010, 07:32 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
I just drove the new cayenne turbo and it absolutely OWNS the x5m and x6m. the 600 lbs weight advantage is huge. Even the old cayenne turbo S was a better performer and drove better than the x5m even though it had been out for many many years.
the x5m to me felt much less planted, had more body roll and the engine just runs out of steam after 5k rpms whereas the 2011 cayenne turbo trounces it in all aspects of performance. as far as looks, i think the x5m is truly attrocious and its interior pails in comparison to the cayenne's.
the new cayenne is even more of a drivers car than the last and if you like a gorgeous car with top notch fit and finish, with supercar-like performance and an amazing sounding v8, you cant go with anything but the cayenne turbo.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:35 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
guess that saves me driving them back to back! wonder what Jace ended up getting?

Old 07-16-2010, 07:16 AM
HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
I just drove the new cayenne turbo and it absolutely OWNS the x5m and x6m. the 600 lbs weight advantage is huge. Even the old cayenne turbo S was a better performer and drove better than the x5m even though it had been out for many many years.
the x5m to me felt much less planted, had more body roll and the engine just runs out of steam after 5k rpms whereas the 2011 cayenne turbo trounces it in all aspects of performance. as far as looks, i think the x5m is truly attrocious and its interior pails in comparison to the cayenne's.
the new cayenne is even more of a drivers car than the last and if you like a gorgeous car with top notch fit and finish, with supercar-like performance and an amazing sounding v8, you cant go with anything but the cayenne turbo.
C'mon.... I'm going to have to call fan-boy on you.

Anyone who thinks that the previous CTT or CTTS pwned (in any measure of performance) the X5M has never driven both or has no objectivity. I walked a CTTS like a dog on a 70-130 roll.

If you want to talk about atrocious, look at the steering wheel of the Porsche - WTF is that thing?

Jury is out on the new one.

P.S. There is no faster depreciating vehicle on Earth than a Cayenne Turbo/S. Now selling used for $25K in aisle #3. And, they lease like sh*t

Name:  worshipbmw.gif
Views: 992
Size:  32.7 KB

Last edited by HIRISC; 07-16-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:38 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by HIRISC
C'mon.... I'm going to have to call fan-boy on you.

Anyone who thinks that the previous CTT or CTTS pwned (in any measure of performance) the X5M has never driven both or has no objectivity. I walked a CTTS like a dog on a 70-130 roll.

If you want to talk about atrocious, look at the steering wheel of the Porsche - WTF is that thing?

Jury is out on the new one.

P.S. There is no faster depreciating vehicle on Earth than a Cayenne Turbo/S. Now selling used for $25K in aisle #3. And, they lease like sh*t

Facts dont support your claim from any of the tests ive seen where the old CTTS was still better in every objective category, whether it be straight line or handling.
I have driven both and didnt like the aenemic feel of the x5m.
The new CTT is a much better car than the x5m and much better looking/quality inside and out. i will be able to tell you how they compare as I will have a cayenne turbo for all of saturday and will be trying to see if i can get my cousin to bring out his x5m for some rolling races before he trades it in.
bmws depreciate just as fast if not faster than any car out there. you can pick up 1 yr old x5ms for 20+K less than they were new with 10-15K miles on it.

Last edited by PorscheC4; 07-16-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:53 PM
HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
Facts dont support your claim from any of the tests ive seen where the old CTTS was still better in every objective category, whether it be straight line or handling.
Hmmmm.. Not my test. Slightly better performance for $50K less.

Appears that driving dynamics went to the BMW. Last paragraph of the Porsche is interesting and doesn't exactly support your assertions:

Name:  d58de999.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  355.0 KB

Name:  4603e753.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  303.6 KB

Name:  f202780b.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  329.0 KB

Opinions are a cool thing - you can like whatever one you want.

I own an X5M and have spent several days in a 2010 CTTS.. IMO, not even close re handling, equipment, etc.

Re depreciation, we'll have to agree to disagree there too, but I don't think it's possible for an X5M to drop $100k in 5 years..

All that said, the 2011 CTT - assuming the weight drop is legit - should be quick - no doubt.

Last edited by HIRISC; 07-16-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Matrix is infamous around these parts
rofl... my BMW m6 went from 125k to 70k in one year..... my CTT went from 100k to 75k in one year.

Im going to have to call BMW fanboy on you.....

Also thanks for showing that test, it shows you how much better the Old cayenne is vs. the BMW. It has almost the exact performance of a car 6 years newer and can do something the X5m can't..... perform off road.

I think the Jeep SRT8 is more comp for the X5m since they are dedicated street trucks. The RR is more in the Cayenne class.

Also i will agree with you.... WTF is up with the Cayenne steering wheel, its horrible.

Last edited by Matrix; 07-16-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Matrix
rofl... my BMW m6 went from 125k to 70k in one year..... my CTT went from 100k to 75k in one year.

Im going to have to call BMW fanboy on you.....

Also thanks for showing that test, it shows you how much better the Old cayenne is vs. the BMW. It has almost the exact performance of a car 6 years newer and can do something the X5m can't..... perform off road.

I think the Jeep SRT8 is more comp for the X5m since they are dedicated street trucks. The RR is more in the Cayenne class.

Also i will agree with you.... WTF is up with the Cayenne steering wheel, its horrible.
Not a fan boy at all, just helping bring some objectivity to the conversation.

I think you missed my point about depreciation. You're comparing an M6 and we're discussing SUV's. Your M6 must have gone in the river if you dropped $55K in one year.

The SUV's tested are a point in time, it's not a '6 year old car', it was their best effort - and still is as the 2011's aren't on the street.

The CTTS isn't a serious off-roader.. please. If Porsche thought anyone was using them for off-roading, they wouldn't have dumped most of the pertinent equipment for 2011.

I'm out.. to many people on this thread who can't live with the truth.

Best of luck to the O.P.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 Turbo/Turbo S vs 2011 Cayenne Turbo, 2010/2011 X5M