Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2010 Turbo/Turbo S vs 2011 Cayenne Turbo, 2010/2011 X5M

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:52 AM
k123p is infamous around these parts
2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo vs. BMW X5M

I found this fun little video comparing the CT and X5M. It's in German but it's still interesting to watch.
Overall, I come away impressed with how much more agile the CT is. Also the CT pulls better at higher speeds. But it seems the X5 is quicker off the line.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=758k62f7amU

Last edited by k123p; 06-13-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:11 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
I am BMW fan boy and still went with the CS. For the same price we paid for the loaded CS I could have gone with a fully loaded X5M. So many reasons we went with the CS but non more then that fact that fit and finish of car was just miles ahead of the X5. Porsche really knocked this out of the park - the Cayenne is a looker; the X5 is getting old in its shape and design. I tested the X5M and the CS - the M is ubra fast but in all honesty we will drive this around the downtown city traffic 95% of the time and will never use that glorious 500hp engine. Its right around the corner - should be picking it up in a few weeks - woo hoo.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:36 AM
HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jace
As if most don't know but I went with a $150k+ 2011 CTT over the x5M 2011. Great little car that M just not up to the specs in any comparison to the CTT and I test drove them back to back quite extensively.
If I paid $150K for a CTT, I'd want to believe that it specs-out better than a $90K X5M too.

It doesn't, but it's a free Country and one may drive as one wishes.

Enjoy it.

<flamesuit>

Last edited by HIRISC; 06-13-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:48 AM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by uhn2000
I am BMW fan boy and still went with the CS. For the same price we paid for the loaded CS I could have gone with a fully loaded X5M. So many reasons we went with the CS but non more then that fact that fit and finish of car was just miles ahead of the X5. Porsche really knocked this out of the park - the Cayenne is a looker; the X5 is getting old in its shape and design. I tested the X5M and the CS - the M is ubra fast but in all honesty we will drive this around the downtown city traffic 95% of the time and will never use that glorious 500hp engine. Its right around the corner - should be picking it up in a few weeks - woo hoo.
Very honest and good review
If you are fit and finished,shouldn't your car be as well?

Old 06-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by HIRISC
If I paid $150K for a CTT, I'd want to believe that it specs-out better than a $90K X5M too.

Enjoy it.
<flamesuit>
dollar for dollar, both equally about $100K, the CTT even at base is a much better vehicle IMHO than the x5M.

The additional $$ I paid was for custom options that I will never get back in resale, it was personal.
BMW's don't let you personalize, just pick packages.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:37 PM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of

Enjoy it.
Well, I think this is a great opinion. However, simply put, it is wrong. I have owned both. X5M for 13 months and CTT for 6 months, and can tell you that the Cayenne outperforms and is much better built than the X5M. The X5M (my 3rd M vehicle) was very, very nice. However, even at 102,000 (which mine was fully loaded), it was not a better vehicle than my 120k CTT. The monetary difference comes from the option package versus a la carte pricing for the CTT. If we are speaking just from a level of one spec level vs another, there is no comparison. The CTT allows so much more personal taste to be put into the equation. However, from extensive use of both, the CTT really drives, handles and overall performs better than the X5M. I would not have said this about the previous generation CTT, though.

The CTT will always be more expensive just because of the level of customization. You can do SOOOOO much more with the CTT. It handles, corners, and overall drives much better as well. Again, I may be the only person on this forum with extensive seat time in both, and can tell you there is no comparison.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:40 AM
NorCal_Cyclist is infamous around these parts
I have to agree on the 2011 and newer CTT's being the top of the line...looked a the X5M and Benz when I first got my 2011 CTT, and the overall fit/finish/driving feel sold me on the Porsche. 1 year later and there was no 2nd guessing what to order to replace my 2011...a fully customized CTT instead of one off the showroom floor this time

Amazing vehicles, in my opinion. I use mine as a day driver and bicycle hauler to the various events I attend.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:56 PM
HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jasonrhcastle
Well, I think this is a great opinion. However, simply put, it is wrong. I have owned both. X5M for 13 months and CTT for 6 months, and can tell you that the Cayenne outperforms and is much better built than the X5M. The X5M (my 3rd M vehicle) was very, very nice. However, even at 102,000 (which mine was fully loaded), it was not a better vehicle than my 120k CTT. The monetary difference comes from the option package versus a la carte pricing for the CTT. If we are speaking just from a level of one spec level vs another, there is no comparison. The CTT allows so much more personal taste to be put into the equation. However, from extensive use of both, the CTT really drives, handles and overall performs better than the X5M. I would not have said this about the previous generation CTT, though.

The CTT will always be more expensive just because of the level of customization. You can do SOOOOO much more with the CTT. It handles, corners, and overall drives much better as well. Again, I may be the only person on this forum with extensive seat time in both, and can tell you there is no comparison.
I wasn't referring to customization specs/options, but to performance specs.

I know you're a big Cayenne fan Jason, but it's my opinion that the X outperforms the CT - and I'll stick to it.

Magazine tests of the two vehicles tend to favor the X5, but some Porsche guys seem to have a selective reading thing going on.

Last edited by HIRISC; 06-16-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:00 PM
mteddylee is infamous around these parts
porsche

Originally Posted by HIRISC
I wasn't referring to customization specs/options, but to performance specs.

I know you're a big Cayenne fan Jason, but it's my opinion that the X outperforms the CT - and I'll stick to it.

Magazine tests of the two vehicles tend to favor the X5, but some Porsche guys seem to have a selective reading thing going on.

I've always been a BMW M fan, bought several BMW in the past, BMW make nice cars and price seems to be reasonable. However, once I bought my first porsche in 2005, my perspective completely changed. I am on my 3rd porsche being a 2012 CTT. I have to say porsche is superior in most aspects when compared to bmw or mercedes.(with exception of price). please don't get me wrong, bmw and mercedes all make very nice cars; but its just not a porsche.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Wink

"Porsche, there is no substitute!"

Old 06-17-2011, 07:16 PM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
Well to respond to the comment about being a Porsche fan, I guess that is true to a large extent.

However, my car pedigree is as follows (as far as sport/luxury vehicles):

2003 E39 M5
2007 530i Msport
2008 M5
2010 X5M
2011 CTT
on order... 2012 CTT and 2012 Ferrari California

So, up until December of this year I was a BMW fan pretty exclusively. They are fantastic vehicles, and the X5M is no exception. However, while it may win "magazine" comparisons, I have spent more time in the seat with both than those guys have. So, I will stick by my opinion of driving, handling and build quality characteristics.

The CTT is of better quality, better finish, overall better acceleration (seat of the pants meter and feel) and curves on the roads better than my X5M did. I will say, and I firmly believe this, that the X5M had better extreme lateral cornering and movement compared to my X5M. But, again at a delta of 15K or so, the CTT is a better "value".

Again, IMHO.

J

Old 06-18-2011, 12:11 PM
/\/\5POWER is infamous around these parts
Alot of responses. I have owned both with 10-15k driven on each and the X5M is funner and more agile than the CTT. I give the Cayenne has nice interior but thats about it, The X5M is a drivers car.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:07 AM
Bigbuzuki is infamous around these parts
The video shows one clear winner. The 2011 Cayenne Turbo.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:01 AM
VTGT is infamous around these parts
I will take both please...haha

Some strong arguments in here. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
yesterday a 2011 X5M pulled up to me at a stoplight, he rolled down his window, so I did as well. He said "wow man nice car and I love your breaks, is that thing fast?"
I said thank you and YES. he said "wanna see who's quicker, me: why not, sure."
light turned green, and we both raced forward. these are back roads around where we live, so no traffic, barely any cars at all, but we have about 100 yards to accelerate.
After the first 50 feet, where we were almost dead even, me slightly ahead, I then pulled away substantially by the end of our little adventure.
We stopped ahead and he said wow. Great car!!
thank you, see ya around.

if that's what happened in a short straight line test, I'd really enjoy a nice track test.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 Turbo/Turbo S vs 2011 Cayenne Turbo, 2010/2011 X5M