Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2010 Turbo/Turbo S vs 2011 Cayenne Turbo, 2010/2011 X5M

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up 2010 Turbo/Turbo S vs 2011 Cayenne Turbo, 2010/2011 X5M

This is my debate.

Have the 2008 GTS, but it's going no question.

I am debating between the three mentioned above.

Let's say all were the same price of the 2010's, which would you prefer, or would you wait for the new 2011 Cayenne.

I like the size of the 2008 GTS I have, but wouldn't mind if I had a bit MORE room esp in the trunk and rear seats....

I think the 2011 Cayenne I found to base price $102K for the turbo...

How are the X5M seats for longer drives? how much space in the back.
How do they "feel" when compared?

Anyone with personal experience, that's what I am after.
I have the PDCC on the GTS and just wonder how the x5m COMPARES all around vs the cayenne turbo/s.

fit and feel is a big deal, plus ride, lateral movement around turns, etc. Is the height adjustable on the x5M like the air suspension on the opted cayennes...

Thanks all.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:51 AM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
I looked at the Cayenne Turbo vs the X5M when I was buying. The price difference was huge between the two models. The base price was 100k for the Cayenne (2010) model plus or minus, but with options quickly topped 125k. Performance was below that of the X5M.

My X5M was 102k loaded. Performance wise, quicker and more agile than the CTT IMHO. I spent considerable time in both.

I cant speak to comfort of the Cayenne seats on long rides, however, my X5M has the 20 way comfort seats. They have been extremely comfortable in all my long drives (3-5 hours). This is my third BMW with comfort seats, and would never buy another one without them.

Space is about the same in the rear seat and cargo area for the 2010s. It appears as if the 2011 Cayenne TT has become slightly smaller from pics, however, will reserve that judgement till see it in person. I find it to be perfect in size (the X5M) for me and my family (wife, 2 kids). I just bought the BMW bike carrier to carry my Cannondale around, so makes it much more practical for me as well.

Hope it helps.

J

Old 04-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
How's the fit and finish on the inside of the m5 vs ctt? Full stitched leather? Comfort lighting?
How's the m5 through turns compared to a ctt with pdcc?
Air suspension on the x5m? Height adjustment like ctt? Mpg? Heard the seats on the x5m were stiff? Back seat room for adults? 3rd row option?
Please be as critical ad you can about both....
BMW reliability or good reliability ?
You're helping, please continue.

Last edited by Jace; 04-24-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:46 AM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
I like the fit and finish of the X5M very much. I have the full leather interior (all of the seat, doors, dash, console, etc) and find it to be top notch. The one complaint about the interior I have is no alcantara headliner. I had it in my 2008 M5, and the Cayenne has it. Adds a nice, expensive feel.

Cornering is AMAZING in this vehicle. Doesn't feel like a SUV at all.

The transmission really stands out too. Much like the M-DCT dual clutch of the M3 and upcoming M5, although it really is a modified automatic. Paddle shifters are nice, and it is extremely close to a dual clutch feel.

Here are some pics. Colour is Carbon Black Metallic with full Bamboo Beige interior.

No ride height adjustment. Back room enough for 3 adults over 6 feet (have it done it comfortably 4 times). No 3rd row option.

As far as reliability. This is my 4th BMW in 4 years (keep each about 2 years) and have had nothing but excellent experience. One 02 sensor went bad in my 08 M5, and they flatbed the car over 120 miles to my dealer there and back at no charge. So, I will always have a BMW (as long as Obama doesn't spend any more of my money). 4 years, 50000 miles full warranty and service. Doesn't cost you a dime.

Some pics:

Name:  IMG_0969.jpg
Views: 2293
Size:  62.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0972.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  64.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0974.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  49.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0971.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  61.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0975.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  61.9 KB
Name:  IMG_1028.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  68.0 KB

Old 04-24-2010, 12:59 PM
nice looking vehicle.......

I am so undecided<<<<,, bah.

I know how my GTS with PDCC air susp drives just dont know first hand about the X5, so here is a x6 review.... couldnt find a x5M vs GTS or TURBO/S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOGGt...eature=related

anyone else chime in with first hand thoughts.....

Old 04-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
Wow that beige interior looks amazing with carbon black.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks. Wanted Alpine White, but wife said no as her GL550 is white. Doesn't want us to be twinkies I guess...

Old 04-25-2010, 12:23 AM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Are there any power mods out there yet for the X5M?

Old 04-25-2010, 07:18 AM
No power mods yet, but they are in the works. It is wicked fast with stock power, 0-60 around 4.1-4.4 depending on where you look. I haven't used launch control, and really don't plan on it.

I watched the video posted above, and it is the first one I have seen showing the Cayenne as winner. Although, to be fair, I have seen videos comparing the X6M and Cayenne TT. I can't seem to find them right now (I swear I have seen them ), but will see if I can dig them up. The main difference I see in tracking the two is that the DSC (or dynamic stability control) and AWD functions cannot be deactivated on the X6M or X5M. This will give you the understeering problem seen on the video. Now, having said that, I drive my X5M very agressively on cornering roads where I live, and it is has performed very, very well. Almost exactly as my M5 did.

I agree with a couple of video reviews I saw today about the sound of the engine. Not nearly as intoxicating as the NA V10 in my M5. But, I have the Eisenmann exhaust ordered (Race, LeMans tips, 4 x 83mm) and will install that. Here is a clip of the Eisenmann proto on the X6M...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2H5DXWcvO4

Old 04-25-2010, 09:08 AM
I think Ihave made my decision, just need to test drive the x5 M FIRST.
Wish it had the ride control, active air suspension, and ride height adjustment, and traction disconnect. Sport/comfort, ex....
are they active M seats like the M5 or stationary?

WIsh is had a few of those options to work with, but I think it will with without them.

Post any and all videos on all comparable videos. Prefer the x5M vs CT/CTT but wont steer away x6M vs.....

Old 04-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Best thing to do is get a nice extended, curvy and straight course to drive it on, and see what your opinions are.

Comfort seats are active. That is what I have. M5 came with three seat options. Sport seats, M active 20 way seats and 20 way active comfort seats. The middle pair was a mix between comfort and standard sport.

J

Old 04-26-2010, 09:48 AM
TXLonghorn911 has a spectacular aura aboutTXLonghorn911 has a spectacular aura aboutTXLonghorn911 has a spectacular aura about
I know this isn't top of mind for most, but what is the rear seat comfort like on the X5M? Pretty similar to a standard X5, I assume? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:25 AM
bmwman3241 is infamous around these parts
There will be more power mods in the near future, but Hamann will get you to 620-630hp with an ECU tune and 670 with ECU tune and exhaust. G-power also has stuff in the works as well as a couple other tuners.

I own a 09 X5 4.8 and have a 2011 X5M on order. The price would be the best thing between the two. Overall, the X5M is an amazing car and I cannot wait to take delivery. The comfort seats are a must, and are very comfortable IMO. The rear seats can fit 3 comfortably, and there is no option for 3rd row seats. The full leather is amazing, and covers many parts as jason mentioned. The carbon fiber trim, and other trim options is also a plus and fits in well with the leather.

As far as between sport/comfort, you have the option to be in M mode or not which is the closest you get in a 555hp beast.

Main negative comments I have heard about the X5M is the exhaust sound. Many people have pre-ordered the Eisenmann to fix that problem. Also, the wheels were disliked at first by some, but have grown on most.

jasonrhcastle: You can add headliner to the X5M. It is an individual option, but is not too much $.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:45 AM
bmwman3241 is infamous around these parts
The X5M does not have the PDCC with the ride control, active air suspension, and ride height adjustment, and traction disconnect like the Cayenne or even the Range Rover, but it has everything and does it all on its own depending on the driving conditions, and the way you drive it.

Adaptive Drive with Electronic Damper Control and Active Roll Stabilization:
Adaptive Drive with Electronic Damper Control settings ensures a smooth ride, providing unsurpassed dynamics, comfort and safety. Body roll is reduced and steering is optimized.

M-Tuned xDrive with Dynamic Performance Control:
Paired with xDrive, all-wheel-drive System, M Dynamic Performance Control distributes power between the front and rear axle to maximize agility, improve traction and provide extreme cornering performance.

M sport suspension with self-leveling rear air suspension.

M Drive with M Dynamic Mode

Old 04-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Thank you all. Keep the videos coming but I think I might trade forhr x5m. Leave for a trip for 2 weeks and when I get back I will get to the dealership....

Steelerships around here don't really market
adjust as some do, but what are normal discounts on these cars? I know the cryenne is $10k plus, but hvent owned a BMW in years so not up to date.

Please advise.

Last edited by Jace; 04-26-2010 at 12:01 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 Turbo/Turbo S vs 2011 Cayenne Turbo, 2010/2011 X5M