Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Bose vs. Burmester in the new Cayenne

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2010 | 07:56 PM
ok_computadora is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Ok-comp: Hey no sweat. Did not mean to take a shot at your remark. But you know how passionate I am when it comes to the BURM and the technology/research that goes behind the product. After spending quite a bit of time reading audiophile websites, magazines etc I was just surprised to see a statement like "I see a multitude of reasons that the new cayenne is better than the previous generation, but the availability of Burmester is not one of them". Thats all.
I'll still stick with my statement. If they took the previous generation and did nothing but make a Burmester sound system an option, Porsche sales would not be up 50% nor would the Cayenne be SUV of the Year. Nor would I or many others be waiting 3+ months for a Turbo!

Old 12-05-2010 | 08:01 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed.

Old 12-05-2010 | 08:22 PM
peloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud of
I went with Burm on my 11 Turbo along with the double-pane glass to provide a quieter environment. I'm no audiophile, but I think the Burm is worth every penny. Especially with CD's, but even my iPod library is great. And even my college kid who is into lots of music that I don't understand thinks it makes his stuff sound great too. I've had lots of Bose systems that were pretty good too, but I'm happy with the money spent on this. The test for me is the clarity of voice/instruments and bass even at low volumes - superb.

Old 12-05-2010 | 08:42 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
The stock Cayenne interior is pretty quiet. I too added the noise insul glass to complement the BURM on my order. Peloton, do you feel there is an appreciable difference in the road noise with the double pane glass ? Can you elaborate ? Is the tint darker than the standard ?

Old 12-05-2010 | 08:50 PM
peloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
The stock Cayenne interior is pretty quiet. I too added the noise insul glass to complement the BURM on my order. Peloton, do you feel there is an appreciable difference in the road noise with the double pane glass ? Can you elaborate ? Is the tint darker than the standard ?
w00t, it's a lot quieter than stock glass to my ears. At cruising speed, I don't really hear any engine sound and perhaps just a taste of exhaust rumble. For some Cayenne owners that quietness would be a turnoff, but I wanted quiet and that's what I got. I also went with the 50-series all season tires on the 19" wheels for the same reason - nice and quiet. Then dropped in a killer sound system, what's not to like?

The tint isn't darker particularly but it's a different shade, more bronze colored. Especially so with the electrically heated windscreen. I wasn't wild about it initially but got used to the shading pretty quickly. Only downside so far to the thermal- and heated windshield is that the thin wires in the windshield produce a star-burst glare from oncoming headlights at night. Bothered me at first, got used to that too.

Anything that annoys me in the car like that, I just fire up some Stevie Ray Vaughn on the Burm, crank it up to 12, and suddenly all is good with the world again.

Hope this reply is helpful.

Old 12-05-2010 | 08:55 PM
Oh, and forgot to add that even with the low-rent wheels and tires, with the PDCC and PTV the handling is still fantastic. Looking forward to dropping some 21's and Michelin Pilot Sports on it after ski season.

Old 12-05-2010 | 08:59 PM
Son of a gun...what a killer combo the turbo, PDCC, PTV, Burm and the noise insul glass.....Enjoy safely in good health. Thank you for that nice review. Mine just got built and expect it in Jan. I too ordered the heated windshield. Your quote " Anything that annoys me in the car like that, I just fire up some Stevie Ray Vaughn on the Burm, crank it up to 12, and suddenly all is good with the world again"

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 12-05-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-05-2010 | 09:06 PM
When you car arrives, ask your dealer to check the heating/cooling system in the interior. I have not had a chance to get mine back to the dealer so far, but the symptom is that even in MONO mode (both left and right front thermostats set at the same temp) sometimes the left vent blows hot and the right one blows cold or vice versa. Seems logical that if they're at the same temp and on a cloudy day where neither side is getting more heat than the other, the system should blow the same temp from both sides.

Also, I have some annoyance with the footwell heat being a lot cooler than the dash vent at a given temp setting.

Just little annoyances, but figure you ought to have it checked out before you roll and save yourself a return trip to get it looked at.

The wired windshield defrosts pronto though without the bother of having to listen to the defroster fan intruding on your Burm tunes. And on a cold morning, no waiting for the defroster to blow warm air - nice.

I probably should have shoved this info into an HVAC thread, oh well.

Old 12-05-2010 | 09:07 PM
Peloton, I gave you some well deserved rep points. Now we need to see some pics of your beauty when U get a chance. Not many here have PDCC and PTV so we will take any thoughts on these options. Thank You once again. Nice tips. I have a three hour drive to my Porsche dealer so I really appreciate the advice.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 12-05-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2011 | 10:22 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
For those that have a Burmester,:does it support SACD?

Old 08-26-2013 | 04:52 PM
felo2011 is infamous around these parts
Cayenne Burmester Audio System

I own a Cayenne S diesel with the Burmester audio system (BM) and I have to say it sound very good. It justifies the money if you really care about audio sound quality otherwise the Bose system is just enough. What I have found is that the sound definition in the BM is really amazing specially in the higher frequencies. Regarding the bass it goes down to 40 Hz clean and effortless if the recording source have registered those frequencies. Another good thing of the BM is that all the passengers can enjoy amazing sound quality regardless of their seat location in the vehicle. It looks that BM engineers do a very nice job to achieve this. I have use mp3 recordings with very acceptable results. I really recommend this option for the serious audiophiles!!!!!

Old 11-25-2013 | 07:56 AM
zedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud ofzedosix has much to be proud of
I hear alot about sound quality in the cayenne, but can someone chime in about how the two systems compare in a 911. Is it just too small an environment for the burm? At the dealer and in the showroom was no place to make critisims on the bose. They didn't have a car with the burm so no comparison was made. I don't have top of the line systems at home or office.