Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Must-have options for the 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 04:13 PM
DBV
DBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud of
Don't forget to order roof rails (if you want them), as they are not available for retrofitting after the car has been build. The cars without roof rails are built without mounting points, therefore eliminating the option of adding them later.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:55 AM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
If I was getting a new one, I would want the light rack. While the sun roof is nice in Alaska I think those extra lights would come in handy on the road during our long dark winter days. More so than the sun roof. Even during the summer for that one hour of dusk, those lights could light up the road and help one avoid hitting a moose.

However, I have considered the larger roof opening because it might make for interesting hunting access, but the idea of a more fragile top to maintain and the fact it has only recently warmed up enough for sun roof action in Alaska makes me reconsider.

My particular SUV is highly optioned. Since the new Cayenne eliminated the weight AND the TRANSFER CASE, I am wondering what the off-road performance might be and if it has been compromised enough that the Advanced Off-Road Package has been rendered useless.

I used Low Range on Mother's Day and the car ahndled the road better. Better than expected. More control. I am really perplexed by Porsche's cahnges on the Cayenne. Typically, it takes a while to learn about the changes and it takes a venue like this to unravel and dissect the subtle aspects of Porsche options. Even the salesmen don't know the cars as well as those participating in the forums do.

I really like my dynamic cornering headlights, especially since it is so dark in the winter. While those were an option on my car, porsche has a habit of making those standard fare on subsequent versions.

The great thing about the Cayenne Turbo is that Porsche offers many features as standard that are options (costly options) on lesser versions.

I am really divided about getting a second smaller Porsche or another Cayenne. These are the best cars for winter driving and our roads up here are horrible.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:39 AM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
FYI The Porsche Configurator is messed up. For instance, when I select the two options for leather seats, it shows the apposite selection. And there is no explanation of the differences. In fact, on many if not most of the Info selections, the photos presented do not make sense. Why look at the center console when discussing heated windshield . . .

Porsceh really needs to work on their web site. And the 3-D selection is a PIA!

Old 05-22-2010, 06:50 AM
gammaman is infamous around these parts
Question

Originally Posted by C4SxM5
My must haves would be:
Reversing camera including ParkAssist front and rear
Panoramic Roof System
Seat ventilation front
Three-spoke sports steering wheel with paddles
HomeLink® (garage door opener) (this isnt standard...)

Theres tons of more indiv. items but those above items are a must have...
Is it realy worth giving up the heated wheel for the paddles? (I live in New Hampshire)

Old 05-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by gammaman
Is it realy worth giving up the heated wheel for the paddles? (I live in New Hampshire)
Certainly the heated SW is useful in Alaska. Because of it I rarely drive with gloves and it feels a lot safer than wearing gloves. The heated SW is automatic. It seems warmer at the spot you grab and hold it. It is subtle and not obtrusive. I t never gets overly hot, however, there are times it is so cold I wish they were warmer. I think Porsche got the heated SW just about right. I'd miss it.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:05 PM
thor48 is infamous around these parts
Smile

Originally Posted by gr8ful
Too many to list. Definitely PVT-Plus on the chassis options pages.
Are you referring to the Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus)? PTV Plus offers variable distribution of engine torque to the rear wheels and an electronically controlled rear differential. Depending on the steering angle, steering speed, throttle pedal position, yaw velocity and vehicle speed, PTV Plus optimizes steering response and precision by applying brake pressure to the left or right rear wheel, as required.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:06 AM
Kain is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by thor48
Are you referring to the Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus)? PTV Plus offers variable distribution of engine torque to the rear wheels and an electronically controlled rear differential. Depending on the steering angle, steering speed, throttle pedal position, yaw velocity and vehicle speed, PTV Plus optimizes steering response and precision by applying brake pressure to the left or right rear wheel, as required.
Doesn't this wear-off the brakes?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:29 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Stability control systems and traction control based AWD systems have done the same thing for years! The Porsche system is not as advanced as some of the other systems which can actually overspeed the outer wheel to actually actively manage yaw.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Yes, it puts more pressure & wear on the braking system.

?Which systems, whose systems actually actively increase outer wheel speed?

Old 05-24-2010, 03:31 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
The Acura SH system is one that does as well as the Saab X drive system with rear torque vectoring diff. Mitsubitshi is one of the pioneers of active yaw and torque vectoring.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Hmmm . . . That doesn't mean those are necessarily best. Nonetheless, US Federal mandates require safety features like these on ALL vehicles. I know little to nothing about these systems. I just drive.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:16 PM
RWD based AWD systems are better because they typically start with a car that has a better inherent chassis. That being said PTV is not really any different between the brake based electric diffs. Its a computer controlled limit slip which has the ability to brake a spinning wheel to shuffle power across the rear axle.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:22 AM
Kain is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by germeezy1
Stability control systems and traction control based AWD systems have done the same thing for years! The Porsche system is not as advanced as some of the other systems which can actually overspeed the outer wheel to actually actively manage yaw.
I know that stability control and traction control systems have been doing the same, but the question is how often do these systems intervene during normal driving? Most likely never. However, with PVT Plus, doesn't this intervene every time you take a corner? If it does, then doesn't this really wear-off the brakes like I said?

Old 05-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Kain
I know that stability control and traction control systems have been doing the same, but the question is how often do these systems intervene during normal driving? Most likely never. However, with PVT Plus, doesn't this intervene every time you take a corner? If it does, then doesn't this really wear-off the brakes like I said?
It has to wear the brakes. At least some.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Yes but PTV does not activate unless commanded by the PSM, when you turn into your garage you don't need torque vectoring!

Normally in an oversteer or understeer situation the PSM uses the brakes to maintain stability. With PTV instead of using brake intervention to slow the car it actually uses them to maintain the trajectory of the car.

Unless you drive the car on the constant edge all the time brake wear should only be marginally affected.