Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Joining the club..new (to me) owner:2005 Cayenne S W/pics!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Originally Posted by Reborn996
I have a set of the e-bay wheels myself... GTS style 20", that have been great for over a year. No balancing issues at all and they have held up well. FYI
Pics?

Old 06-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Mq1PredatorMC is infamous around these parts
Hey much appreciated on the advice about Ernie's. I, like many love the Sport Techno OEM's as they give you a mild bling factor but retaining a classy and sporty look to it..w/o being too "look at me". I suppose the 18" Turbos are great for entry level OEM..I am please but feel that I want to have less wheel well visible so 19-20" 's are will just about do it for me.

BoX: Yeah I think that's a bit of a diminishing returnsfactor there with only 10HP for a grand... think I will stick to the more value performance mods til the price comes down a bit. You speak of car shows, there are many places where people show their cars off in parking lots ect..around here in Houston but Cayenne's are so rare, I need to find a Porsche Club to see some others in the family. Funny thing is these Peppers are so rare here, when I see one in passing they almost always wave at me...cool! Reminds me of a episode of Curb Your Enthusism and Larry David and his Prius.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
Sure...

Only about $700 for the set as I recall.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:50 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
Wow, it is great to read here how popular the 20" Sport Techno wheels are. The CTT that I just bought have these wheels and this is one of the main reasons why I went with the purchase of this particular CTT, so I won't have to spend $2k-3k on wheels and tires when I get the vehicle. They just look so good and like what one of the posts above mentioned, it is very classy looking while being sporty and retaining the OEM value.

Mq1, if you can get a used set of these wheels, they would look great on your CS.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
I'm diggin' the look of the GTS reps. Love the sport technos too but the GTS wheels have a bit more flavor.

I wanted the sport technos too but was not going to let that be a determining factor on the purchase since wheels are so easy to change.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:24 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Mine came with Sport Techno's. I bought a set of Turbo 18's for snow tires and then aquired a set of Turbo II 18's for off-road tires.

20" Sport Techno's were a $5-6k option. I think SunCoast advertised a set with tires for under $3k recently.

For smaller wheels I really like the Turbo II's.

I do not find the NEW 2011 wheel offerrings to my liking. Most are too busy or too chunky.

For snow tires, the Turbo 18's appear to have more meat and offer better protection keeping the chop out of my brakes.

I do not like taking my 20's on dirt or gravel. Damned tires are too expensive to replace.

As far as HP mods per the buck. I think on a CTT there are two ways to go:

Modest: (~$3,000) Approximately 100 more HP.

2nd cat by-pass
EVOMS intake
EVOMS flash

Lavish: (>$22,000 just for parts; however, ADD a weeks of labor and shipping to Tempe)

EVOMS GT700 Kit for 650 HP on 93 octane.

That's 200 more HP and significant torque improvements, but at that investment I think I'd buy a whole 'nother second car--a BoxsterS.

Last edited by gr8ful; 06-10-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Wow! ,'only' 100 more HP than the modest upgrade costs a bundle, 5x as much.. but it will definately set it apart from the vast majority of CTT's out there..heck would match up with some of the quickest production sports cars out there I would imagine in 0-100mph times. I could only imaging the thrust you get from 550hp, much less 650hp!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:09 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Cole
I wanted the sport technos too but was not going to let that be a determining factor on the purchase since wheels are so easy to change.
Yeah, the sport technos are actually one of the factors, not the only factor. The whole car is so clean, interior and exterior, the price was great, the color is nice, it is actually the whole car....probably one of the best looking stock CTT I've seen and with only $7k premium over the CS I was looking at, it's a no-brainer.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:25 PM
If the choice for me had been two identical ctt, one with and one without technos, i would have chosen the one with. But I did not luck out and need up with the silly starfish wheels.

Sooooo.......now that i have a choice, i might try the GTS reps.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:32 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
KInd of hard for me to beleive only $700 for the set. My stealership wants that much just for the optional 2005 TPMS!

Then the colored center caps run a couple hundred.

Originally Posted by Reborn996
Sure...

Only about $700 for the set as I recall.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by gr8ful
KInd of hard for me to beleive only $700 for the set. My stealership wants that much just for the optional 2005 TPMS!

Then the colored center caps run a couple hundred.
Welcome to the wold of excessive markup. Factory and quality aftermarket wheels can be had for many cars in this price range. Porsche is not in the business of making wheels.

Great example is the software for theae things. $600 for a VW and $2000 for a Cayenne? Why? Simply because they thing they can get it. Did not take any more work or material to write software for the Cayenne than it Does for a gfi, a4, etc.

Which brings me to another interesting point. $2k for software for a $100k vehicle might have been responsible. But the current crop of owner and modifiers paid much substantially less and are probablly less likely to spend the high dollars for those mods. These companies might actually sell more units and make more money if they dropped their prices for the older models.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:45 PM
I understand that there are fewer "opportunites" for mods makers to sell Porsche developed mods, but that EVOMS GT700 kit is far over-priced. Certainly, they'd sell more if they offerred it for less. If EVOMS offerred their kit INSTALLED for $12,500 to $15,000, it might motivate me. As it stands, I'd rather toss that much money (close to $30k!!!) into a new car.

I'll bet there are a lot of suppliers who will be holding such over-priced parts for a long time.

$700 for in an intake system!!!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Reborn, forgot to say that those look stellar and for ~$700?! Killer deal. Yeah, markups are outrageous at times but like most hobbies, people WILL spend the dough similarly like in my other hobby--high-end audio. My co-worked gasped at the prices of 2-channel amps and turn tables costing sometimes in the 10's of thousands of dollars. When there is a market for it, people will get what they want. Pride of ownership right?

Oh and I agree! Drop the prices for the older models and you'll have even more demand I think when it comes to mods.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:52 PM
The Cayenne, especially the turbo have fallen far enough in price that true enthusiasts are starting to buy them and want to mod them. I would think that with more reasonable prices they would start to sell enough more volume to make more money.

I actually paid more for my S4 back in the day than I did for my ctt. A turbo swap/upgrade was around $5k, not $22k. Which, I would bet cost about the same to develop and get parts for .

Old 06-10-2010, 09:55 PM
....okay, totally off topic here. I'm posting from an ipad and it is editing some of my text as I type. Some of it I have not caught and is kinda funny.

Try to type "technos" and it changes it to "techies" amoung other random things.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Joining the club..new (to me) owner:2005 Cayenne S W/pics!