Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

replaced crappy factory radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Matrix is infamous around these parts
ok here are some pics and for those asking for more info:

used adapter harness hook up the bose speakers without rewiring (the harness was $400). Steering adapter only gave me volume control, lost nave and MPG in center cluster only.

Total replacements were Head unit, amp and sub. Sound is 100% better than stock and will be even better when i replace the speakers.

Here are some pics of the unit.

Home Screen

pushing home twice brings up the custom home screen

ipod song screen, shows art work

XM screen, notice you can scroll by category at bottom right

ipod home screen

ipod movies and vid home screen

EQ that has presets and you can make your customs

10inch JL sub box, better in a box due to crappy sound from factory location

Amp in side storage bin

a happy 08 Turbo now that the OEM cancer has been removed

Last edited by Matrix; 06-23-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:41 PM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
NICE! I have the same head unit in my 996Turbo and love it. Very easy to use and the features are endless.... great write up!

Old 06-23-2010, 12:54 PM
dimf is infamous around these parts
does the oem headunit have pre-outs?

I'd seen an 06 CTTS where the owner kept the head unit, added amps, replaced all speakers with Focals and added a sub... I was thinking of going the same route, granted that the oem headunit of the 957's have pre-out.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Anyone know if another Porsche steering wheel would fit in the Cayenne? Since this route would make the steering wheel controls useless. Might open up the options for a cooler steering wheel.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by roxboxxx
Ok so - lets see if I can get a ground breaking moment here. Every stereo change thread leaves me a little empty on some details. There is another thread here somewhere that has more detail about a 911 install, but i have not parsed through it all. As you have been pretty nice with the replies, maybe you can help close some gaps.

Goal - Install the new headunit with a harness adapter, use stock bose amps, and don't care about steering wheel controls.

What I do not want - Cut wires / Buy an expensive fiber adapter / Run wires to each speaker.

So - Anyone? this doable? Links to the proper harness adapter??

My goal - CARPUTER !!! and with my verizon USB I will be streaming pandora on those long Lincoln tunnel traffic runs where my sat radio is normally silent.
I had my local shop put it in so i cannot give you a walk through but i may be able to answer your questions.

The harness does let you use the stock bose speakers without having to run new wires but im not sure about the amp. The alpine digital amp i got is only about $250 on ebay so its not a big expense. All you really need is a 2 channel class D amp with 150w per channel. If you do it yourself and add an amp/sub you will have to run wire.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:40 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
Thanks M. You have a part number, link or brand for the harness adapted? Also, will the adapter work if you want to keep the stock Bose amps?

I have been trying to find ths out for a looooooong time.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
Wait, how does the 14 speaker Bose system connect to a 4-channel amp and 1-channel sub amp? Seems like there are alot of channels missing to support all the speakers!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:20 AM
russnyc is infamous around these parts
I've already dropped the $ for 3rd party bluetooth and ipod integration to my '06 turbo s. Still miserable with the OEM head unit and building mental momentum to take the plunge for a complete replacement ... maybe I can sell the oem unit and upgrades on ebay. Meanwhile a couple of questions...
- do you have the factory back up camera/were you able to integrate it to the pioneer?
- steering wheel controls ... i thought i read where you only had volume but then another spot where you had harness with full control?
- have you given any thought to real time traffic? I see msn direct is gone in 2012, are you aware of any options.

Anyway, beautiful looking install & I have the same wood/leather colors, heated seat controls etc so it's great to be able to see the exact look before pulling the trigger.

Thanks, Russ

Old 07-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by russnyc
I've already dropped the $ for 3rd party bluetooth and ipod integration to my '06 turbo s. Still miserable with the OEM head unit and building mental momentum to take the plunge for a complete replacement ... maybe I can sell the oem unit and upgrades on ebay. Meanwhile a couple of questions...
- do you have the factory back up camera/were you able to integrate it to the pioneer?
- steering wheel controls ... i thought i read where you only had volume but then another spot where you had harness with full control?
- have you given any thought to real time traffic? I see msn direct is gone in 2012, are you aware of any options.

Anyway, beautiful looking install & I have the same wood/leather colors, heated seat controls etc so it's great to be able to see the exact look before pulling the trigger.

Thanks, Russ
Russ the harness is for the fiber optic cable to keep the bose speakers. The only controls that work on the steering is volume. I am aware of MSN closing shop but the reason i went with the Pioneer is that once you have the head unit you can upgrade the software when a newer unit comes out.

I do not have the factory backup camera but even if the factory one does not work they are very cheap to buy.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:03 AM
russnyc is infamous around these parts
Thanks ... think i'll head to some local installers and go from there. Assuming you're still happy with the pioneer? did you look at the alpine, kenwood, others? i'm just beginnng to investigate so curious if you ruled out other units or if you simplified things and went with what your installer suggested.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:07 PM
i went with the Pioneer for two reasons, its the best Ipod unit out there. I love how you can do movies and music vids on this unit. I have a bunch of music vids i just put on shuffle and im happy. Also the ability to buy upgrades is a big reason. You always can have the newest version, i think the upgrade from the 110BT to the 120 was about $200.

The nav is decent but its based on tom tom, i've read that clarion has the best Nav but the unit lacks in other areas.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:44 AM
TurboDelaney is infamous around these parts
Matrix,

Which double-din facia did you go with? I've heard these can be hit and miss but yours looks good.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:33 AM
shakinjoe is infamous around these parts
Is the faceplate surround stock from your old unit or did it come with the system?

Nice job and thanks for the post...I will do mine this way as well. The i-pod integration is stupid expensive from MoBridge.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:55 PM
JBONDOx is infamous around these parts
nice job. I just want to mention that there is a headunit replacement part by navtv for the Alpine and Kenwood headunits, unfortunately the unit doesn't support the pioneer's steering wheel controls. but it does for the other 2. part is the MOSTHUR

Old 01-07-2011, 07:00 PM
TurboDelaney is infamous around these parts
The NAV TV unit allows you to integrate an aftermarket head unit with oem amp and speakers correct? Could then run a second amp using the pre outs from the new head unit?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: replaced crappy factory radio