Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

replaced crappy factory radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Matrix is infamous around these parts
replaced crappy factory radio

ok, i got sick of the crappy factory radio and decided to install a Pioneer Avic Z120BT http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ms/AVIC-Z120BT

I had the Z120bt, digital alpine amp and JL 10' sub put in and I left the stock Bose speakers alone for now. WOW the sound is 1million times better. I will replace the stock Bose speakers later but for now its night and day from stock.

The Z120BT is like using a new computer while the stock Radio is like using a pen that is running out of ink. The nav, sound and features are miles ahead of the stock Radio. The touch screen, blue tooth and ipod features are perfect.

The only drawback was losing some features in the center cluster. You lose the center cluster Nav (i never used it anyway) and something else but i cant remember what. I still have MPG to empty, TPS, speed and menu. I leave it on MGP to empty all the time anyway so nothing really lost.

After doing this i can only laugh at myself for considering keeping the factory radio/nav and spending another $1000 to add ipod and blue tooth to it.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:08 AM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
Hey congrats. Was the alpine amp for all ur mains or just the sub?

Old 06-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Did you lose the use of steering wheel controls?

Old 06-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by roxboxxx
Hey congrats. Was the alpine amp for all ur mains or just the sub?
two alpine amps, one running mains and one running sub.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Cole
Did you lose the use of steering wheel controls?
lost everything in the steering controls, i did buy the steering harness but it only gives me volume.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Brentis is infamous around these parts
Don't suppose there is anyway to rig it to use the stock amps?

Old 06-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
So you did this without a "mosthur" type device?

Just driving the Bose off an aftermarket amp?

Old 06-22-2010, 11:47 AM
yoojeankim is infamous around these parts
thinking about doing this... seeing how it cost 600$+ just to add an ipod integration.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by yoojeankim
thinking about doing this... seeing how it cost 600$+ just to add an ipod integration.

From a purely philosophical stand point I feel that "iPod integration" should cost LESS than the iPod itself

Old 06-22-2010, 12:19 PM
cayenned has a spectacular aura aboutcayenned has a spectacular aura about
I will problably do soemthing smilar when my bose radio craps out again ( it has been replaced twice under warranty) but my extended warranty ends in october so its only a matter of time.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:20 PM
cayenned has a spectacular aura aboutcayenned has a spectacular aura about
also, can you post some pics of the final install?

Old 06-22-2010, 12:21 PM
yoojeankim is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Cole
From a purely philosophical stand point I feel that "iPod integration" should cost LESS than the iPod itself
right??

Old 06-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by cayenned
also, can you post some pics of the final install?

lol, sorry, i'll get some pics on tomorrow. The great thing about the pioneer radio is that i can play movies and music videos while driving. I find myself downloading a ton of music videos from youtube, thank god for a 160g ipod.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:02 AM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
Ok so - lets see if I can get a ground breaking moment here. Every stereo change thread leaves me a little empty on some details. There is another thread here somewhere that has more detail about a 911 install, but i have not parsed through it all. As you have been pretty nice with the replies, maybe you can help close some gaps.

Goal - Install the new headunit with a harness adapter, use stock bose amps, and don't care about steering wheel controls.

What I do not want - Cut wires / Buy an expensive fiber adapter / Run wires to each speaker.

So - Anyone? this doable? Links to the proper harness adapter??

My goal - CARPUTER !!! and with my verizon USB I will be streaming pandora on those long Lincoln tunnel traffic runs where my sat radio is normally silent.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:48 AM
I too want some more details.

I would like Siruis, Blutooth phone, Hard drive/Ipod integration, Nav, Backup cam. Would prefer to keep the steering wheel controls if possible and not have to replace every amp and speaker in the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: replaced crappy factory radio