Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Who has a "Turbo S" that would be willing to take a few measurements? (or let me)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:47 PM
madburg is infamous around these parts
Ok lets hear it Mr. Cole how?

Cole;2925590]If the hardware is the same, the same numbers can be reached.

Of course it gets the same MPG. They don't test mpg at WOT!! Driving around town and on the highway under normal throttle will produce the same level of boost, and therefore the same mpg under normal load. The only place they are different is when the throttle is pinned to the floor.

AGAIN how?, you are not willing to pay for anyone's parts, how are you going to do it, exact's please!

Simply not true. The ONLY reason a CTTS can hit higher number with a "chip" is because it has the supporting intercoolers to do it. Put the equal hardware (in this case intercoolers) on a CTT and you can run the same boost and fuel levels and acheive the same thing.

Yes, and I did not buy a CTTS as a project car, thats what the 911 is for.
Have YOU ever actually built a boosted car?

That is what we are talking about here right? Building a USED car?!!
BRO, I dont care what color you got, read the statement again, I did not state YOU could not get the color YOU wanted. P.S. good for u
I got the paint color I wanted so who cares if there is one out there I couldn't get on a CTT?
P-Parts are never cheap, you bought the wrong project car, wake up already. Oh so everyone that buys a NEW porsche is NOT a REAL enthisiast? interesting. I though they were as well just in a higher tax bracket then you or me?

What I see here is that the Cayenne, CS and CTT are now depreciated enough that REAL enthusiasts can get ahold of them and BUILD fun rigs, not just pay for the latest and greatest.
What parts are LITTLE QUIRKS? please be specific, control arms are going to make your CTT a CTTS right?, you hand a list around $7000 in parts and still you made no head way, AGAIN most people would have to pay labor, so for $10k more thay have an OPTION to get a CTTS if they wish. Not to meantion how many cars are taken apart and never the same after. I know you are going to tell me NOT YOU, master builder of boosted cars.

Which means that if I can figure out some of the little quirks like CTTS control arms that can be had for the same price as regular control arms then it will benefit future DIY enthusiasts

But you wont buy the parts they put into those cars, so whats your point? your pointing out cars that people spent money to get them where they are?

Quoted just for the shear false hood it holds. There is a local 04 CTT here with around 800hp. (Built 9ff 5.0L block, but still, its not a CTTS) I will see if I can find the link. I has been for sale up in Glenwood Springs, Co if anyone wants to look for it.
So is that exact picture of your motor or someone elses that you used, because it is like your? As that is a professional picture, which I have seen elsewhere, and not YOUR motor. You didnt take a picture of yours because it may not have been as pretty looking; because that would have cost money.

It was to show that I have some experience building boosted German motors. I had fun with that car for 165K miles and I want a Cayenne to serve as a tow/dog hauler/fun rig.
Skill have nothing to do with a CTT, it is money clearly because you keep meantioning you would never buy anyone else parts. Wait i got it your going to wait for someones modified CTT OR CTTS to get hit by a train so you can buy it real cheap for its parts right keep waiting, I will be enjoy my ride in the meantime.

It was also to show that with some skill you can build some nice stuff without just going out to buy a CTTS. The Audi S4 was a VERY similar build from the stand point that we used much of the RS4 parts to build a better/faster motor. For reference. The stock S4 was 250hp. A stock RS4 is 380HP. My S4 with many RS4 or better components was 500hp (and I should point out was daily driven for 165K miles before I sold it).

This is very similar to what you are trying to say can't be done.
Your silly thought

Sweet. Good for you. I also have an R1, SV650 and Custom from the bolts up Speed Triple. I didn't bring those into the conversation because I was not talking about just a raw speed comparison. That would have been silly.

Thats because you wont be doing much, you just dont no that yet. P.S. good tires cost money, you need to get a set offen with a CTT. Or you just dont drive them you just build cars

Their "kits" cost more than I paid for my CTT.....and more than I will pay to do what I want to do. Maybe you like to just toss money at stuff, and that is fine. I don't. I like the building and problem solving of a "project". Buying someone elses kit and having someone install it is not much of a "project" in my mind.
I did not buy any power kits and dont have money to throw around. I bought mine and very happy with it (I know good for me), let me know when your done with yours, as I am busy actually driving mine around; not in a garage in a million piece. In life, time is money, your busy nickel and diming to trying to achieve something that can easily be bought and done by professionals and enjoyed. By no means, it sounds like you enjoy this as a hobbie and thats great. But you choose the wrong car to try to make wonders with. If you want better than 5 seconds pulling 6700lbs you need MONEY bro! not just a control arm and intercooler.

You knock down kits made by companies that actually spend alot of R&D, equipment, etc.. and think you can buy a few parts and do better, not with this car. You will shortly see that. People buy the kits AND pay the labor to get them in, it sounds like you can supposedly do all the labor yourself and won’t spend the money on the kits, as they are making a profit, your statements are getting ridiculous. What are you going to do take hvac pipes weld them into a turbo of your own, no maybe swap the whole motor out you made yourself that is cheaper that porsche's, but has more HP... no one cares for this. Go buy a "S" badge and stick it to the right of the "turbo" badge, you got yourself a CTTS cheap!!!

You are pointing out cars that are more money than a CTTS but YOU would not buy or are willing to pay the cost of the parts in them so your not making any point here at all...

Show me the parts you swapped out and the number you got and we will see were you get, dont forget to include every day your car could not be used, if you wanted to use it or not. And then get back to me.

So hopefully to end this post, yes the bushing are different between the CTT & CTTS, upgrade if you wish. AS you said same price, so no brainer i guess.

Last edited by madburg; 07-29-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Originally Posted by madburg
Ok lets hear it Mr. Cole how?

AGAIN how?, you are not willing to pay for anyone's parts, how are you going to do it, exact's please!
Dude. You really ned to work on your reading comprehension. Where did I ever say I was not willing to pay for parts?

Paying for a $25,000 kit is just plain silly. Especially when I can achieve a nice upgrade for a fraction of that cost.

The only thing holding the CTT back from CTTS like numbers is the intercoolers and software. That is easy enough to change and much cheaper than a CTTS.

P-Parts are never cheap, you bought the wrong project car, wake up already. Oh so everyone that buys a NEW porsche is NOT a REAL enthisiast? interesting. I though they were as well just in a higher tax bracket then you or me?
Just because they are not cheap does not mean you should spend just for the sake of spending, no matter what your tax bracket. Being able to afford the parts is different than not finding value in the price. I don't see the value in wasting money....and I enjoy the process of building the car and not simply buying it done.

What parts are LITTLE QUIRKS? please be specific, control arms are going to make your CTT a CTTS right?, you hand a list around $7000 in parts and still you made no head way, AGAIN most people would have to pay labor, so for $10k more thay have an OPTION to get a CTTS if they wish. Not to meantion how many cars are taken apart and never the same after. I know you are going to tell me NOT YOU, master builder of boosted cars.
What the hell are you spouting now? Not made any progress? Built wrong? What? Just because a company has a shop name does not make them instantly better at building a car than an individual.

So is that exact picture of your motor or someone elses that you used, because it is like your? As that is a professional picture, which I have seen elsewhere, and not YOUR motor. You didnt take a picture of yours because it may not have been as pretty looking; because that would have cost money.
Yes. That is MY motor in MY S4. We built the motor for a tech day at 3Zero3 Motorsports in Wheatridge, Colorado. Adam Matavi is the photographer that took the pictures so that 3Zero3 could use them in promotional items.

Thats because you wont be doing much, you just dont no that yet. P.S. good tires cost money, you need to get a set offen with a CTT. Or you just dont drive them you just build cars

Have several sets of nice tires for both the CTT and the 951. Along with some very nice forged 3 piece OZ wheels.

I have also taught performance driving for several sanctioning bodies since 1992. Are you old enough to drive yet?

I did not buy any power kits and dont have money to throw around. I bought mine and very happy with it (I know good for me), let me know when your done with yours, as I am busy actually driving mine around; not in a garage in a million piece. In life, time is money, your busy nickel and diming to trying to achieve something that can easily be bought and done by professionals and enjoyed. By no means, it sounds like you enjoy this as a hobbie and thats great. But you choose the wrong car to try to make wonders with. If you want better than 5 seconds pulling 6700lbs you need MONEY bro! not just a control arm and intercooler.

You knock down kits made by companies that actually spend alot of R&D, equipment, etc.. and think you can buy a few parts and do better, not with this car. You will shortly see that. People buy the kits AND pay the labor to get them in, it sounds like you can supposedly do all the labor yourself and won’t spend the money on the kits, as they are making a profit, your statements are getting ridiculous. What are you going to do take hvac pipes weld them into a turbo of your own, no maybe swap the whole motor out you made yourself that is cheaper that porsche's, but has more HP... no one cares for this. Go buy a "S" badge and stick it to the right of the "turbo" badge, you got yourself a CTTS cheap!!!

You are pointing out cars that are more money than a CTTS but YOU would not buy or are willing to pay the cost of the parts in them so your not making any point here at all...

Show me the parts you swapped out and the number you got and we will see were you get, dont forget to include every day your car could not be used, if you wanted to use it or not. And then get back to me.

So hopefully to end this post, yes the bushing are different between the CTT & CTTS, upgrade if you wish. AS you said same price, so no brainer i guess.

Blah blah blah can't read, missed the point, acting like a troll.

Last edited by Cole; 09-03-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
FWIW,

Here is my torn "Turbo/S/Cayenne" arm that came out of my CTT and the "Turbo S" arm that went in.

I know it looks like the offset of the hole is different, but I measured them with calipers and the hole is in the exact same spot. Just different rubber and obviously a differnt center steel bushing.

These are the exact same price as all the other arms.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:36 AM
Bigbuzuki is infamous around these parts
Cole, got a few questions for you since your changing the control arm/bushing and do appreciate your opinion.

Why do you think there is an offset on the standard bushing and not on the Turbo S?

Does the Turbo S bushing fit exactly as the original on your car?

Is the mounting washer for the bushing offset as well?

Did you use the offset washer on the Turbo S control arm install?
If so how does it sit on the new Turbo S bushing when installed?

Last edited by Bigbuzuki; 09-04-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bigbuzuki
Why do you think there is an offset on the standard bushing and not on the Turbo S?

I have been pondering this and honestly don't know at this point. seems like it *Could* allow more flex in one side of the rubber part of the bushing for a softer ride?!? While still having enough material to mount firmly in the bracket.

I've been heavily into modified suspensions for years and have a few suspension engineer friends that I had planned on asking at some point. Maybe I will see if I can get a hold of one today and come up with an answer.

Does the Turbo S bushing fit exactly as the original on your car?
Yep. Bolted right in. Zero modifications to the set up.

Is the mounting washer for the bushing offset as well?

Did you use the offset washer on the Turbo S install?
If so how does it sit on the new Turbo S bushing when installed?
There is no "Washer". The frame side of the control arms mount with "Cam Bolts" so that you can adjust the camber. I marked the cam bolts with a Sharpie before I took off the arms so that I could set them back to their aligned spot. I also measured the camber before and after.

I know the hole in the Turbo S arm looks offset but is actually in the exact same spot as the Turbo/S/C arms. I measured it with some calipers.

So here you can see the Sharpie mark on the cam bolt. The "washer" looking piece is actually part of the bolt on one side and indexed to the bolt on the other.

If you look at the frame mounts you can see that the holes are slotted to allow the camber to adjust.

You can also see in the picture above how easy the job was. Took off one wheel at a time. Jacked it up, unbolted 4 bolts(after marking the cam positions with Sharpie) and then just bolt in the new arms and tighten with the marks lined up.

You can see that the arms are identical, just the bushings are different.

The ride quality seems great. No noticeable difference from the other arms. They are tight and responsive but honestly my other ones were so shot that its hard to give a fair comparison. I'm hoping these prove to be long lasting and provide good performance.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Bigbuzuki is infamous around these parts
Great info and pix Cole.
You mention that there is no washer for the Cam bolts.
Did you use any washer on the other side of the Cam bolt between the nut and frame?

I just checked the PET manual and it shows that there are 2 "eccentric washers" that are used on the other side of the bushings where they fit onto the frame.

The part numbers are 955 331 219 00.

There does not seem to be any differentiation on these washers between standard and Turbo S type.

If they are suppose to be fitted, I am wondering if you can install an eccentric bolt on a non offset bushing with an eccentric washer?

Old 09-04-2010, 10:38 AM
There is one on both ends of the cam bolt. So you are correct. That is the right part for all applications.

Since cam bolts don't work without those eccentric washes I consider those part of the cam bolt assembly. There are no "other" washes.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:35 PM
norsecarnut is infamous around these parts
missing the point

Holly thread degradation! What started as a nice informative thread became a full on bunched up panties whine fest from someone who missed the point, from the beginning.

To me, and many people, it's the experience of creating something in life that is important, not the object/machine/house/etc, you can buy and use.

It pays to ponder, for just a moment, where all the cool photos on the web these days come from in the first place....hmmmm,... well, some guy, maybe in your neighborhood took the photo, or maybe a gal even. It's not even all that hard to do for a good photog, cleaning the engine is the most work and even that is simply, work, nothing magical.

Those guys as 3zero3 are top notch. I have talked at length with Max about either building up an Allroad or altering our b7 s4 avant to become the only b7 s4/allroad but the cost/purpose comparison didn't make sense due to the platform differences in the suspension area.

Thus, I am leaning toward the more capable Touareg/Cayenne lines. VW primarily for tdi/mpg/veggie oil and fuel range with less "image" or the CTT just for plain grin factor.

Along the lines of CTT vs CTTS vs ?, my research is narrowing my search to Cayenne's built with the disconnecting sway bars and the locking rear differential.

$80k+ is s lot of $ for a "toy" so it's hard to consider a 2010 Transsyberia but the older CTT look like a great starting point.

To the OP, props for having so much fun in the process. You, and many of us, know that it isn't simply about buying a vehicle with all the stuff even if it were available, the great experience in the process is potentially priceless.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks. Great post.