Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Who has a "Turbo S" that would be willing to take a few measurements? (or let me)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Question Who has a "Turbo S" that would be willing to take a few measurements? (or let me)

So apparently according to part numbers the "Turbo S" (2006 or maybe even E81 Cayennes) have something different going on with the control arms/bushings than the other Cayenne models.

I'm trying to figure out if the material of the bushing is simply a different compound(stiffer) or if it is also bigger in size.

Can someone toss some measuring calipers on the front lower control arm rear bushing? Maybe take a picture of it?

If you are in Denver and have a few moments I could crawl under there and take the measurement myself.

I'm thinking that this might me a nice upgrade for those that have to replace a torn bushing anyway. These can be ordered as just a bushing that can be pressed into the existing arm( if the hole in the arm is the same size) or as a complete replacement arm with bushings if the hole is a different size.

Just need to find out exactly what is different. (I have called two dealers and neither one can tell me anything without me ordering both bushings to compare myself)

Old 07-27-2010, 12:50 PM
madburg is infamous around these parts
It is a different material used in the CTTS. Its published by Porsche in one of the manuals on PIWIS TSI. When I run into it, I will post the details. There a number of things in a CTTS only, most think its just the intercoolers.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Originally Posted by madburg
It is a different material used in the CTTS. Its published by Porsche in one of the manuals on PIWIS TSI. When I run into it, I will post the details. There a number of things in a CTTS only, most think its just the intercoolers.

Just the material or a different size?

You can buy a set of bushings or complete arms. Bushing set is several hundred dollars cheaper.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Brentis is infamous around these parts
My aftermarket warranty covered the replacement of the bushings (and arms). They also paid for an alignment. Think total cost was about $1400. Dealer said getting the bushings in is a pain so they usually do the entire arm.

FWIW, I was told the bushings are filled with fluid on my CT. Don't know if I would want a stiffer bushing given my ride on a 21" wheel.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:33 AM
I've figured out the arms are the same price. C, CS, CTT vs CTTS. The CTTS are listed as "Track Control Arms" on the dealer invoice.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Here is a listing of the changes and upgrades done on the cayenne turbo powerkit.

Pretty cool.

https://docq.com/app/pres/d3b9ebb54b...a6ad83a31ea1bf

Old 07-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks. That is pretty cool.

So if I read this correctly. The basic difference between a "Turbo" and a "Turbo S or E81 Powerkit" is

-Upgraded intercoolers
-Upgraded control arms
-Upgraded tie rod
-Upgraded front brake calipers/disks
-Different height control module.
-Different Computer software.

Last edited by Cole; 07-28-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Well I don't know if that is 100% true. I think this depicts the difference of the powerkit and the cayenne turbo.

I've been told the 955 turbo S has different turbochargers as well. But this is rather odd as you would think the Turbo S would have more HP than the powerkit. Marketing literature states the S has different intercoolers which let it boost more from 9.7 psi to 12.3 psi. This seems likely something the intercoolers could support, but Dan at Vivid says the turbos are different too.

Anyone know?

Old 07-28-2010, 02:09 PM
I would love to know the *real* story on the turbos.

From the factory HP differences I can't really see them being any different. The 50hp difference would be VERY easy to get with intercoolers and software.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Haha.....just looked at the online parts catalog to see if there were different turbo part numbers. Every item in the entire exhaust system has a part number except the turbos.

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...PA_KATALOG.pdf

Old 07-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Cole
I would love to know the *real* story on the turbos.

From the factory HP differences I can't really see them being any different. The 50hp difference would be VERY easy to get with intercoolers and software.
That would leave you 21 HP short. But a CTTS chipped runs with about 560HP... hmm. Sounds like you need to drive an CTTS Cole, to see if you feel there is a difference. Porsche upgraded just the right components for a reason on the CTTS. if it was just a badge and intercoolers, no one would have paid the up charge, etc... Once you drive one you will probably understand why does components were changed.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:15 PM
I drove several before deciding to buy my CTT. I did not feel they were worth the extra premium. I figured for less money I could acheive a better result.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Brentis
Well I don't know if that is 100% true. I think this depicts the difference of the powerkit and the cayenne turbo.

I've been told the 955 turbo S has different turbochargers as well. But this is rather odd as you would think the Turbo S would have more HP than the powerkit. Marketing literature states the S has different intercoolers which let it boost more from 9.7 psi to 12.3 psi. This seems likely something the intercoolers could support, but Dan at Vivid says the turbos are different too.

Anyone know?
1bar = approx 14.5 psi
A CTTS that is healthy hit 1bar (all day long ), chipped, they run 1.1 to 1.2 bars on the turbos.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Cole
I drove several before deciding to buy my CTT. I did not feel they were worth the extra premium. I figured for less money I could acheive a better result.
To each his own, but trying to get all those parts upgraded after the fact will cost you more premium. So I am not sure how you are figuring u could acheive a better result? If one buys a CTT but wishes for it to be faster, a wise decision is bumping up to a Big Brake Kit as well. Running fast into a wall is not a better result.

Still not fast enough, get ready to upgrade the intercoolers, and what goes with them. Chip tune some more. Now you may be doing close to CTTS HP, wait you have premature component failures... sh&t that may have something to do with me believing i could acheive a better result than the engineers at Porsche.

I am not picking on you, we all love our cars and to work on them. Your original question, sounded like a part failure and you wanted to see if there was an upgrade which there is, and personally I would do it as well if I had a CTT and they needed to be swapped out. But now you have changed the whole post around. That you can get a CTT to be a CTTS for less.

I do wish you all the best in what it is you are trying to achieve.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:52 PM
I am just relacing a failed control arm.

The "Turbo S" arms are exactly the same price as the rest of the arms.

I did find the turbocharger part numbers. According to the Porsche PET there is no distinction between a "Turbo" and a "Turbo S" or "Powerkit" turbocharger.

948-123-016 and 948-123-015

As for acheiving a better result.

Here is the math.
-Replacement control arms. $450 my cost.
-Not sure what the tie rod upgrade is yet. But I'm sure it is only a few hundred at most.
-Chip....well my CTT seems to already be chipped from the PO. But if I had to it would be $700-2000 depending on the manufacturer.
-Intercoolers. I've had some REALLY nice custom ones made in the past for >$1,000.The factory Turbo S coolers are $1,269 each through Pelican. ($2,538, have not looked to see if the hose and air duct are actually different)
-Brakes. The parts cost for me is about $1,500 to get CTTS brakes, sell off my CTT brakes to somene wanting to do a big brake kit and that will reduce the cost substantially.
-Lowering control change? Not sure what I want to do there.

Anyone know of any other *real* differences? (other than a climate control and tail gate lable)

So what we have here looks like the ability to come pretty close to factory options for

Looks like the high side of this is around $7,000 and the low side (depending on how you calculate it) I could be in for about $1,500 +my labor.

Either way $1,500 to $7,000 + the price I paid for my CTT is a HUGE savings over any of the CTTS that were for sale when I bought mine. So much so that I could buy at least 1 nice dedicated track car or another NEW motorcycle with the savings.

Last edited by Cole; 07-28-2010 at 04:06 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who has a "Turbo S" that would be willing to take a few measurements? (or let me)