Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

What would you do if you were me?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:05 AM
mrdee is infamous around these parts
What would you do if you were me?

I’m currently deployed and I will be back in states in 2 months. Since I sold my 2008 Acura RDX right before I left, I will need to buy a new vehicle when I get back. I’m currently torn between the 2008 and 2009 Porsche Cayenne S and I’m hoping you can give me some advice so I can make an informed decision when I get back.

I really enjoyed the navigation system, Bluetooth & iPod connectivity, and back-up camera of the RDX so I got to have these features with my next purchase. I like the touch screen navigation of the 2009 and it has already Bluetooth & iPod connectivity, but is it worth paying more for the 2009 for these features? I was considering buying a 2008 instead and just replacing its navigation system with Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT navigation system. Will I be able to control the Bluetooth feature with the controls on the steering wheel?

Anyone here know of a good back-up camera system for the Cayenne? The one I had was very discreet and you can barely tell that there was a back-up camera at the rear.

Are there any other things that I need to consider choosing between these two vehicles? My budget for this purchase would be around $45K. Do you think the price of these vehicles with drop in November?

Any advice that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Matrix is infamous around these parts
I have the avic-z120 in my 08 turbo, if your going this rout then avoid a car with the bose system. The bose system uses fiber optic's and not regular speaker wire. You have to either rewire the whole car or get an adapter which is around $500 if the cayenne has the bose system.

The only controls i have on steering wheel is volume. Also you will lose a few basic diplay options in your center cluster like the nav arrows and such. You still have TPS, miles till empty and speed, i've always left mine on miles to empty so no big lose for me.

IMO the avic is lights out better if your a music or movie junkie, the nave is very good too. I like that you can pick the types of POI's shown on your mape.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Originally Posted by Matrix
I have the avic-z120 in my 08 turbo, if your going this rout then avoid a car with the bose system. The bose system uses fiber optic's and not regular speaker wire. You have to either rewire the whole car or get an adapter which is around $500 if the cayenne.
The only thing fiber optic is the connection from the head unit to the amp. All the wiring to the speaker is regular speaker wire. The problem with the Bose is that they use some random ohm rating for the speakers that is not compatible with many amps.

The adapter from Nav-tv called the M.O.S.T-H.U.R lets an aftermarket head unit talk to the amp and steering wheel controls so that you can retain the factory amp, speakers and steering wheel controls. The adapter is about $700.

Some have said they replaced the factory amp and used it with the bose speakers fine. You would loose steering wheel controls still. I have also not figured out how they are running 4 channel amps to 14 speakers!??!! I imagine they are leaving something out of the loop.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the input guys!

Matrix, I just read your thread when you replaced your factory head unit--it looks AWESOME!!!

Last edited by mrdee; 10-21-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:59 AM
By the way, will it void the warranty if I change the head unit?

Old 10-21-2010, 03:19 AM
imolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by mrdee
By the way, will it void the warranty if I change the head unit?
just like any part on any car. it will not blacklist or void your entire car warranty outright. however, the dealer will be able to refuse warranty service to anything audio/media related within the car as you changed an integral part of the system. if your wheels falls off or your engine explodes they won't deny you service due to your head unit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.