Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne V6 Vs. BMW X6 35i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:50 PM
kgclark is infamous around these parts
Cayenne V6 Vs. BMW X6 35i

I was very excited about the '11 Cayenne and 3 months ago was nearly certain that it would be my next car. I love the interior - it's the nicest SUV interior bar none. I was slightly disappointed with the exterior. It's a little bland in base form, but not enough to be a deal-breaker. I'm sure it will look great in GTS form. What really bothered me, though, was the Cayenne's performance relative to it's closest peers. (X6, X5, FX35)

I still for the life of me cannot figure out how the X6 35i, which has the same horsepower, same torque and weighs MORE than the Cayenne can be in a completely different league speed-wise. All of this while (likely) getting better gas mileage.

X6 35i

Curb weight 4719 lbs
Transmission 8-Sp Auto
Horsepower 300hp
MPG (HWY) 25 MPG
0-60 (MFR) 6.3 sec

Cayenne V6 Tiptronic

Curb weight 4475 lbs
Transmission 8-Sp Auto
Horsepower 300hp
MPG (HWY) (TBD) prob 23 or 24
0-60 (MFR) 7.4 sec

Can someone explain this??

I did end up abandoning my plans for a Cayenne and ordered an X6 that should be arriving in a week or two. It was a hard decision and I'll probably get a tinge of jealousy when I pull up next to a Pepper, but I'm very happy with my decision.

Kevin

Last edited by kgclark; 09-01-2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 PM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
Is the 3.5L engine in the X6 from the same family as the 335i, 135i, and 535i? If it is (and I suspect as much), that engine is vastly underrated from the factory. The 300hp is closer to WHP than crank.

Superior gearing on the X6 could also have a lot to do with it.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:44 AM
Yes, it's the same engine as the 335 and 535 (n55 engine). Why would BMW under-report the HP? Seem like the'd want to exploit the competitive advantage.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:33 AM
spinny02 is infamous around these parts
BMW makes a perfect product that are joys to drive! Tough choice. If only the X6 was better looking...

Old 09-03-2010, 06:20 AM
IMO the x6 looks much better in the flesh than in photos.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:18 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Teeerbo. that is the answer my friend.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:31 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Tough choice. I think the X6 looks better then the new Cayenne in flesh.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:35 PM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
I agree, got rid of my 2008 CS and got into a 2011 X6, been 2 months and loving it....besides I dont like the way the new body style looks, both in pics and in person....I liked the old body style very much!!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:48 PM
gammaman is infamous around these parts
Unfortunately due to contractual reasons with VW they used the VW narrow angle V6 in the Cayenne. Had they used the same motor that is in the Panamera V6, I bet the performance would be on par with the X6.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:33 PM
OCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by strife_wy
Is the 3.5L engine in the X6 from the same family as the 335i, 135i, and 535i? If it is (and I suspect as much), that engine is vastly underrated from the factory. The 300hp is closer to WHP than crank.

Easy, it's the turbos. I had a 335i and the 300HP was underated. I destroyed e46 M3s which had 333HP. The 300HP BMW turbo engine is really a great engine. It got me sold on turbos.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:50 PM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gammaman
Unfortunately due to contractual reasons with VW they used the VW narrow angle V6 in the Cayenne. Had they used the same motor that is in the Panamera V6, I bet the performance would be on par with the X6.
I doubt that is the case here, did you ever drive the panny with the V6? I drove it for about 65 miles and was happy to return it back to my dealer....and get back into my turbo, the V6 really sucks and is really slow.....

Old 09-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
I destroyed e46 M3s which had 333HP.
Really not a comment that can be verified now, can it? its not WHAT you race, its WHO you race....

Old 09-09-2010, 05:07 AM
gammaman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by keeperofbeasts
I doubt that is the case here, did you ever drive the panny with the V6? I drove it for about 65 miles and was happy to return it back to my dealer....and get back into my turbo, the V6 really sucks and is really slow.....
Haven't driven it, but Porsche's published 0-60 is 6.0 for Panamera and 7.1 for the Cayenne, a difference that can't be explained by weight alone. Of course it felt slow getting back into your Turbo!

Old 09-09-2010, 12:32 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by strife_wy

the cayenne has an 8spd gearbox with even closer ratios. if anything the cayenne has superior gearing.

The main reason lies in the torque. That 3L twin turbo engine in the X6 makes more torque than the V6 in the cayenne and it makes it sooner in the RPM range as well.

regardless, i'd rather have the cayenne for its gorgeous interior and superior refinement.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by gammaman
Haven't driven it, but Porsche's published 0-60 is 6.0 for Panamera and 7.1 for the Cayenne, a difference that can't be explained by weight alone. Of course it felt slow getting back into your Turbo!
7.4 seconds when equipped with the auto for an apple-apple comparo. (but the pepper doesn't have pdk)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne V6 Vs. BMW X6 35i