Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

How long for a GTS Cayenne, if at all??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 05:00 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
How long for a GTS Cayenne, if at all??

Personally, I think the original GTS Cayenne was solely a result of Porsche trying to boost lagging sales and restore the heavy Cayenne's reputation as the 'sports car' of SUVs. In other words, I;d be very surprised - shocked in fact - if it's existence was contemplated and planned for far in advance.

Fast forward to the new Cayenne. This sucker is spot on. Lighter and more fuel efficient than a current X5. BMW just refreshed its X5s (a very modest refresh at that) and won't likely release a totally new X5 until 2013.

So is Porsche going to offer a GTS on the new car before 2013? Sales are really strong so far...

Has anyone heard any reliable info. about a new GTS?

DRP

Old 09-13-2010, 05:05 PM
PCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to behold
Had a conversation with a tech at my dealer about this last week. He heard that there has been discussion of a new GTS but with a PDK trans and no torque converter. A totally sport version eliminating any real
off-roading. He didn't elaborate much more. It would be an interesting mix!

Old 09-14-2010, 10:07 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PCJR
Had a conversation with a tech at my dealer about this last week. He heard that there has been discussion of a new GTS but with a PDK trans and no torque converter. A totally sport version eliminating any real
off-roading. He didn't elaborate much more. It would be an interesting mix!
I remember reading about Porsche testing a rear wheel drive super sport cayenne years ago - before the GTS. Interestingly, the 2011 drivetrain is essentially rwd in normal driving conditions. As for PDK, it would definitely provide lower 0-60 times (to catch headlines) courtesy of launch control. But my guess is most Cayenne drivers would prefer a silky 8 speed auto.

So back to my point about a GTS not being needed right now. Think of it this way...there are probably plenty of current GTS owners who wouldn't have bought a porsche SUV - at that time - if the GTS was never offered. There is no such issue with the current Cayenne, b/c right now it competes much more favorably with the competition than in 2008. If this is true, its unfortunate for current GTS owners looking to get a new generation GTS, who don't realize that a new S is a complete upgrade in ever sense of the word - although it doesn't have as many pretty letters in curvaceous script on the trunk.

DRP

Last edited by drspeed; 09-14-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:43 AM
PCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to beholdPCJR is a splendid one to behold
As you can see by my sig, I have an 08 GTS. I just had an '11 CS loaner for a couple of days while mine was in for service. The new CS is better all around!

Old 09-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
I would imagine it will depend on the current sales and which models sell the most/least.

The dynamic is a bit different this time around since there is a Hybrid version available and diesel and supercharged V6 versions available in other markets.

As/if sales slump in the comming years they could simply try to introduce the other variants to the US market or they could introduce a V8/hybrid, or of course some GTS variant. Really depends on where they feel the market is going and how the new VW parent company feels about it.