Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne S vs Q5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Ellwer is infamous around these parts
Cayenne S vs Q5

Hi all. In a bit of a dilema. My Q7 lease is coming up, and I am looking at a 2011 Q5, vs a 2011 Cayenne S. Now I relize that the two are very different, not to mention an almost 25K difference in price. Just curious if any Cayenne owners looked at a Q before deciding to go with the Cayenne. Like the Porsche better, but not sure that the difference in price is worth it for my daily driver/winter car.

Thanks

Old 09-25-2010, 11:59 PM
ManMachine is infamous around these parts
The price difference can be higher probably if similarly equipped. If the price difference is no big deal to you, you might as well pay more to get a better vehicle. Or you can save the money to invest.

The little thing that's missing in Q5 - heated steering wheel for a winter car. The vehicle is comparable to the Cayenne.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:50 AM
rgibson is infamous around these parts
The Q5 is a nice car but the Cayenne is nicer. I did a comparison between a Q5 and a 2009 Cayenne GTS and found the Porsche was much more fun to drive. It had more power and much better handling. The Porsche also has more room inside. If you look at a 2 year old Cayenne it is about the same price as a new Q5.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:27 AM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
huge difference, even the Q7 that has the same chassis as the Cayenne feels grades below in terms of performance and handling, just the steering feel is much more connected on the Cayenne.

I got both a Cayenne and Q7, tbh the Q7 compare to a Cayenne is a big POS... we only have it cuz it seat 7.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
body roll; sound; brakes; can't get full leather on a Q5; no air suspension on a Q5;

i think bottom line 1 is good transportation the other is good sport transportation.

when you look at residuals i think you will find the Porsche gets even more expensive.

at the end of the day here, you are asking this Q on a Porsche thread,

Old 09-26-2010, 10:19 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ellwer
Like the Porsche better, but not sure that the difference in price is worth it for my daily driver/winter car
You have to make that choice....not us. You know your finances better than us. If you have any doubts or hesitation to pay that porsche premium go for the Audi...but also tell yourself not to regret your decision each time u see a Cayenne pass by in the future.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 09-26-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Ellwer is infamous around these parts
I am aware that I need to make the decision, and certainly not asking you what I should do. Simply looking for opinions. The question for me is not a financial one; I can easily afford either. More a question of is the difference really worth it given what I need the car for.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:07 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ellwer
I can easily afford either..
Huh then please go P O R S C H E....there is no substitute. Why deprive yourself of fun even on your daily driver if your wallet can support it. Trust me you will not regret it. You will thank me/us. It is the mother of all SUV's. Porsche knows that they have their customers hooked to the brand ..why else do you think they would charge for even floormats or things like deleting door handles, audio system (like in the case of boxster spyder) and know that people would still buy from them.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 09-26-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:56 AM
rgibson is infamous around these parts
When it comes down to it the Q5 would be the practical choice (lower price, better fuel consumption, lower running costs). The Cayenne would be the emotional choice with better driver satisfaction.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:23 PM
wilfred is infamous around these parts
Assuming OP is looking at the Q5 V6, I think a better comparison would be the Cayenne V6, not the S. They are priced much closer and I know I have posted pics of these two awhile back, no doubt in my mind they are much closer related than Porsche like to admit. That said, just because the two might share parts, it doesn't mean they will drive the same. Just like the previous generation Cayenne and Touareg, the difference is huge if you have driven both. So IMO, OP should look into the Cayenne V6, seems to be the perfect choice between the two.