Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

cayenne reliability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 05:56 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
You are making a bunch of generalized blanket statements that are totally out of line with the experience of 95% of the forum users and YEARS AND YEARS of posts.

There simply is nothing on these cars that fails that often or is that expensive to back up what you are saying! Post some freaking facts!! I don't care if you had to log in twice. Sow the facts or don't post generalized and 3rd party hersay statements.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:14 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cole
I'm calling BS without much further explanation.. Blanket statements like this don't offer much without details on type of use and type of repairs.

My 04 has cost me about $700 total in 111,000 miles that I would not consider normal reasonable maintenance or upgrades.

Many other users have had the same experience.
same here, mine is up for sale btw. thinking about a gtr.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:56 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
What I see happen, more often than not, is people buy a high-end luxury vehicle VERY used and expecting that the seller was selling (or trading) the vehicle, on the cheap, out of the kindness of their heart. THEN the new buyer expects that said cheap high-end luxury vehicle to be every bit as reliable - and warranty covered as a new vehicle. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN (often). They sold it to you, to let you do the upcoming repairs, and/or maintenance they knew were coming.

So if you're surprised that the 60,000 - 120,000 mile vehicle you bought that now needs 5-10 years of maintenance and repair on your dime, you dove into the wrong pool. If you buy ANY well used/old luxury vehicle and did not have any issues - GREAT. BUT, what you should have done is set aside $5,000 for unforeseen problems, fixed them, then driven the Cayenne (or whatever) properly maintained for the next 5 years (or more) trouble free - assuming you continue to put in $1,000-$2,000 annual maintenance and upkeep (averaged to cover new tires, brakes and other EXPECTED maintenance). Otherwise buy a Corolla. But stop whining that you bought someone else's problem and now have to wipe its tail. Go buy a new one and Porsche will treat you ... Like a new vehicle owner - including warranty coverage.

As others have said, a properly maintained Cayenne is every bit as reliable as any other properly maintained vehicle anywhere. That means do every minor, every major and address every squeak, rattle, hesitation and every electrical issue AS SOON AS IT PRESENTS ITSELF with a qualified mechanic, dealership or by yourself IF you are capable of doing it completely and correctly by yourself. Doing it on the cheap (brakes, clutch, tires, oil...) will bite you in the tail eventually.

Last edited by denversteve; 09-13-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:59 PM
tommyg is infamous around these parts
Old thread, but I've only had my 09 S for 6 months now (bought as a buyback off lease that my nephew had).
It had 43,000km (26.6k miles), was a sweetheart deal and all maintenance had been diligently done. I've had three warranty issues that were addressed in the 10,000km since.
- Right side cyl bank vario cam sensor was 'slow'
- windshield washer pump leaked out
- Thermostat gasket (known issue apparently)
Warranty service was courteous, I had a free loaner and I had the truck back on the same day.

I frequently tow my track car and despite some quirky ergonomics/features that have taken me a while to warm up to, its been a real pleasure in all respects. I drove a V8 Touareg not long ago, and I see why the Porsche costs more. Although this may not matter to some

FWIW, compared to my previous 4.0l V6 Pathfinder 'Off-Road', it even uses about 15% less gas in all scenarios!
Having said that, I can only say that Nissan were awful with regards to warranty, wanting to fluff me off on all possible counts, even with items that could leave me stranded. I had to actually write to them several times to get things done, or refunded, etc. Plus, there were some glaring design flaws that they refused to acknowledge.

Anyhow, I just bought the Porsche 2yr extended warranty for $3k, which I think is reasonable for a vehicle of this nature (although another dealer wanted 3.8k! ...wtf?).
Actually, I'm enjoying it enough, that if all goes as hoped, and I see no enticement to change vehicles in 2 yrs, I may buy another 2yrs of warranty and 'keep on truckin'

Old 09-14-2013, 08:16 AM
Jason82 has a spectacular aura aboutJason82 has a spectacular aura about
One can only assume that there might be a bad apple with every batch of vehicles that comes off the assembly line, but to group Porsche as a whole as unreliable is ridiculous. My 957 Cayenne GTS I purchased for my wife is daily driven with 90K on the miles. To date we have had zero issues besides regular up keep.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:02 AM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Thumbs down POORsche UNRELIABLE!

My car broke again!

When this is repaired I will have spent as much money or MORE than the car is worth on repairs and maintenance year-to-date.

These cars are totally unreliable and about the most expensive POORsche's to keep on the road. True, they are wonderful when they work but mine has been broken or in the shop five (5) weeks year-to-date and it's not done yet!

You fellows are in for a one hell of a SET OF SURPRISES down the road. 147,000 miles on mine.

I am too aggravated to detail the breakages to you and don't care to make ALL of that public. Suffice it to say, mine is one of the best maintained CT's out there.

I doubt I could do this to myself again. POORsche!

I can only recommend others buy 911's because that is the only car PAG cares about and puts any quality into.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Another worthless post!

Dude, how about including "what broke", what the cost was?, how many miles since whatever part you are talking about was last serviced?

Fwiw, my 112k mile Cayenne turbo has been the least expensive to maintain 500hp AWD tow rig sports cardI have ever owned!!!!

Old 10-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I agree with Cole. My Cayenne has been very reliable. It's nearly 10-years old and it has ~130K miles on the odometer.

In cases where you hear about people spending more on maintenance than a car is worth, you have to assume that somebody bought a cheap, high-mileage used Cayenne that wasn't properly maintained. It's important to remember that buying a Cayenne for $18,000 doesn't mean that your repair and consumable expenses will be comparable to a Kia that retails for $18,000 new. Even though you may have paid $18,000 for it, you're still maintaining a car that was close to $100,000 when it was new. Comparing repair expenses to the car's present value doesn't make sense. Would these expenses be viewed differently or be acceptable if the car's value was higher? Not really...

Any car that is driven for 147K miles is going to need repairs. Things break. Things wear out. If a car needs a water pump replaced at 100K miles, does that make it unreliable? I don't think so.

Last edited by Dennis C; 10-09-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:22 AM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cole
Another worthless post!

Dude, how about including "what broke", what the cost was?, how many miles since whatever part you are talking about was last serviced?

Fwiw, my 112k mile Cayenne turbo has been the least expensive to maintain 500hp AWD tow rig sports cardI have ever owned!!!!
same here, mines a beast.i think that dude just likes to rant or he got a lemon.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:01 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
Such an old thread, not sure whether I've already replied or not, I have 2006 Cayenne S Titanium Edition Cayenne S, it has been bullet proof so far. But few well known issues that will be addressed, coolant pipes (already have parts @ home), and cardon (sp?) shaft, which I'm debating whether to let it fail and then replace or buy the funky looking braces to extend the life expectancy.

I've been pretty lucky as my first BMW e39 5-series which I drove for almost 10yrs was pretty reliable, only had to replace the clutch on it once (been traded in for Lexus last year though). And Cayenne, been solid so far.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:45 AM
Bigbuzuki is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gr8ful
My car broke again!

When this is repaired I will have spent as much money or MORE than the car is worth on repairs and maintenance year-to-date.

These cars are totally unreliable and about the most expensive POORsche's to keep on the road. True, they are wonderful when they work but mine has been broken or in the shop five (5) weeks year-to-date and it's not done yet!

You fellows are in for a one hell of a SET OF SURPRISES down the road. 147,000 miles on mine.

I am too aggravated to detail the breakages to you and don't care to make ALL of that public. Suffice it to say, mine is one of the best maintained CT's out there.

I doubt I could do this to myself again. POORsche!

I can only recommend others buy 911's because that is the only car PAG cares about and puts any quality into.
You are sounding more desperate and emotional each time you post.

Like others have said, why don't you list the actual faults you have had.

It will allow us readers decide if your concerns are valid or you are over reacting.

Let the people decide.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:50 AM
peskander is infamous around these parts
I own an 09 Cayenne S,
Overall id say its reliable. Expensive to maintain though

Old 10-12-2013, 05:38 PM
RIckyuk is infamous around these parts
My 04 S has over 100,000 miles and runs great. I bought it as a project knowing that work would be needed down the road. However the engine and drive train are the main items that must be solid when purchacing. The general trim issues, indicator warning buzzer are the norm. However regular maintainance is a must from new. Just check out the car fax reports on cars for sale. Lots of repeat trips to the dealers for the SAME issue. Lack of regular oil changes is a recipe for disaster. These are well built machines.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:19 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
I have 170k on the clock in my 04 CTT. It has been and continues to be one of the best, most reliable DD's I have ever owned. It's my ONLY vehicle. I put a lot of faith in it to take care of me and I really have not returned the favor at all times. I do all the work on it myself and have a mechanical background so it is easy for me to know what I can get away with and what is important.

With that being said one must realize that it was originally a 100k plus vehicle. If I could not work on it myself and wasn't keen to sourcing parts at reasonable prices, I could not nor would not want to own it. When given the current value and depreciation of rate of Cayenne's, it just isn't economically viable.

I personally believe used high end vehicles are really only feasable for people like myself that can take care of the problems themselves. Because if you had the money, you would buy new and not worry about it and then trade up often. If you don't have money AND you cannot work on it, you are way out your league.

I think the poster may have gotten a lemon. It happens to every make and model. The owner of the company I am employed at had a CTT as well and had nothing but problems at one point and ended up selling. Dont think you can come on a Porsche forum and bash Porsche's. Just isn't going to work.

I love my Cayenne and honestly if I can have only 1 vehicle, I can not think of any other that can fulfill my needs as the CTT does.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:11 PM
RIckyuk is infamous around these parts
Mr Haney, I totally agree with your post. The Cayanne is a complex machine and if you purchase one with high milage you must be able to repair it yourself and search e bay for used parts. However just squeeze down the loud pedal and smile. Just don't look at the gas gauge.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: cayenne reliability?