Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

cayenne reliability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 06:13 PM
elc32955 is infamous around these parts
Howdy!

Well, I've been a Cayenne owner for about two months now. Clock is at 59K and change right now. So far on services, I've done an oil change, transmission fluid change, and water pump. Also renewed the clips on the door scuff moulding on both sides and replaced the RR moulding as it was completely missing. Water pump was rattling when I bought the Pepper so I knew it needed to be changed, just got that done two weeks ago, pics in the gallery. TPMS is not working due to 10-year old wheel sensors, once I switch those out it will be back up again.

Next stop is changing cooling pipes along with the two turbo cooling T connectors in the back of the motor. Parts are in from Sonnen Porsche (best prices on the net that I've found). I have a friend from the local Volvo group that's a full time mechanic at Hyundai, between the two of us we got the water pump and we'll get the cooling pipes changed. Weekend driveway job.

As far as warranty, my car is cursed as it was a Porsche manufacturer buy-back when it had 5K miles on it due to a no-start condition and parts delays. So although it's in fine condition I can't qualify for an after-market warranty, although if it had not been a buyback I could have bought a good warranty through AAA which would have covered everything including the PCM. PCM is going anyway though, fixing to install a Kenwood Echelon DNX-9990 with a MOST-HUR/955 from Nav-TV. It'll be a nice update to the entertainment system, for that it's worth sacrificing the trip computer.

Reliability good so far..... down the road we'll have to see what happens.

Eric

Old 10-26-2013, 08:45 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Wink

Couple of 300k+\- mile CTT out there. Obviously a reliability issue.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tal-miles.html

Old 11-18-2013, 08:53 AM
elc32955 is infamous around these parts
Always a lowest and highest data element to any curve But, I have to follow up my previous post. Last Monday night my wife comes in with the low coolant warning message up on the display, it's not overheating but I smell coolant. Next day I fill it up (bottle's about two quarts low), run it for a little while to operating temp, and all of a sudden, WHOOSH! Out the bottom the coolant ran - coolant pipe finally went in the motor (61,100 miles). On inspection, the top level larger pipe was the culprit with what looks like a stress crack right as it comes out of the 30-degree bend. Luckily I had all the parts ready to go from Sonnen, so Sunday myself and a good mechanic friend from a local Hyundai dealership opened up the motor and did the pipe swap.

We also changed the starter due to age and as a precaution. When we pulled the old starter, we pulled it out of the engine and tilted it, then a stream of coolant ran out of it since it'd been marinating for 5 days. I used a Bosch reman, this starter sounds very healthy unlike the OEM starter, it sounded a lot more draggy (slower) but it worked until the end. What was also interesting is when we pulled the torque arm from the engine, the center rubber bushing is shot, solid plastic cracked in multiple places. I've seen a few other examples of this on the net. I'll order the replacement part for that today.

Next item on the hit list is installing the new Vertex Cardan shaft center support. I'm getting the momentary whine/groan on start from dead stop which I was told was a preliminary sign the OEM support is getting tired. I'm in Central Florida so I'll probably just drive down to Vertex Auto in Coral Gables and let them install it, it'd be a nice day trip. Also with that the Alacantra headliner is starting to sag in a few places in the rear of the vehicle, the upholstery shop that does local Porsche restorations says it's not possible to do a long-term reglue and they recommend complete replacement...

Things that make you go Hmmmmmm....

Eric

Old 11-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by elc32955
Always a lowest and highest data element to any curve But, I have to follow up my previous post. Last Monday night my wife comes in with the low coolant warning message up on the display, it's not overheating but I smell coolant. Next day I fill it up (bottle's about two quarts low), run it for a little while to operating temp, and all of a sudden, WHOOSH! Out the bottom the coolant ran - coolant pipe finally went in the motor (61,100 miles). On inspection, the top level larger pipe was the culprit with what looks like a stress crack right as it comes out of the 30-degree bend. Luckily I had all the parts ready to go from Sonnen, so Sunday myself and a good mechanic friend from a local Hyundai dealership opened up the motor and did the pipe swap.

We also changed the starter due to age and as a precaution. When we pulled the old starter, we pulled it out of the engine and tilted it, then a stream of coolant ran out of it since it'd been marinating for 5 days. I used a Bosch reman, this starter sounds very healthy unlike the OEM starter, it sounded a lot more draggy (slower) but it worked until the end. What was also interesting is when we pulled the torque arm from the engine, the center rubber bushing is shot, solid plastic cracked in multiple places. I've seen a few other examples of this on the net. I'll order the replacement part for that today.

Next item on the hit list is installing the new Vertex Cardan shaft center support. I'm getting the momentary whine/groan on start from dead stop which I was told was a preliminary sign the OEM support is getting tired. I'm in Central Florida so I'll probably just drive down to Vertex Auto in Coral Gables and let them install it, it'd be a nice day trip. Also with that the Alacantra headliner is starting to sag in a few places in the rear of the vehicle, the upholstery shop that does local Porsche restorations says it's not possible to do a long-term reglue and they recommend complete replacement...

Things that make you go Hmmmmmm....

Eric

Makes me go hmmm why you had the parts laying around and did not replace the pipes before the failure. Hope your TC seal does not go as well now. When the pipes break coolant go's into the bell housing and gets into that seal. When the water evaporates all that is left are glycol crystals which will shred the rubber seal.

Again, a search does wonders and preventative repairs go a long way.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:23 PM
stormy69 is infamous around these parts
had mine (06 CTTS) since march @83k, now at 93k and zero issues. Been 160mph as well coolant pipes were done by po.