Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

cayenne reliability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:27 AM
arhim22 is infamous around these parts
cayenne reliability?

Thinking about a cayenne in the future. How does the reliability compare to an x5? comfort? etc.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:35 AM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
Never owned an X5, but my wife drove the 06 Cayenne for 3 years under lease, no problems at all except we had the navi unit replaced under warranty. She is now driving an 2009 model and so far, about 18k miles in has had no issues at all, just oil change at 10k miles. Good luck on your search.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
There is at least one poster on Rennlist (T2) with over 200,000 miles on his 04 Turbo.

The list of known issues is pretty short and they are pretty simple to fix or avoid.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:55 PM
ManMachine is infamous around these parts
X5 is not considered a reliable vehicle by any means (see consumer report or other surveys). X5d is probably a better bet.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:01 PM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
I had two Cayenne one v6 and one S. I LOVED my S.

The guy who bought My S and I traded for a few days before he bought it. I disliked the X5 he had.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:46 PM
OCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura about
I know alot of X5 owners that would rather have a Cayenne. I have had many BMWs and they are great vehicles, but I prefer Porsches.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:01 PM
spinny02 is infamous around these parts
We bought a used '08 turbo 4 months ago, we had the fuel pump replaced under warranty. But no other issues since. We enjoy it every day! =)

Had an 07 530i had ZERO problems for 3 years. Never had an x5.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:04 PM
arktos is infamous around these parts
I currently have a 08 X5 3.0 with 23000 miles in the last 2 months my exhaust system broke for the second time, A/C blower stop working and had to be replaced, navigation system stopped working and had to be replaced. I think BMW reliability is slipping. Can't wait to switch to a cayenne turbo with a dec build date.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:17 PM
jr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nicejr1966 is just really nice
Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
I know alot of X5 owners that would rather have a Cayenne. I have had many BMWs and they are great vehicles, but I prefer Porsches.
Very true.

Had a X5 (1st-gen). Very reliable (well, it was a 6-cyl which is more reliable than the 8-cyl), except for the window regulators of which all were replaced under warranty. Sold it for an LR3. Wife missed it so much. Bought her the CTT. She loved it and never gave her old X5 another thought since then.

Another person I know who currently have an X5 gave his opinion that the Cayenne is a "total upgrade" over the X5.

Last edited by jr1966; 10-05-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:04 AM
ccexxp1 is infamous around these parts
I had '04 and '08

I had an '04 "S" and an '08 "S", both had lots of options...I drove the 04 for 35K, and the 08 for about 19K. I think that the '04 was much rougher than the '08, and needed more service under warranty (typical hesitation on acceleration issues, and rough transmission...1 time it needed to be flat bedded back to dealer for some expensive computer warranty part). The '08 had really no issues, except for some crazy reason the XM faded out a lot (they changed antenna, no difference). IMHO the '08 much better mechanically than the '04, exterior slightly different and interior identical (except Nav then was DVD instead of CD based)

Old 10-13-2010, 12:22 AM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Cayenne Turbo Reliability is **** Poor

Cayenne reliability has been problematic. Porsche doesn't make cars as well as they used to.

Mine has required an average $1,000 in warranty service every month since November. That does not include regular expected service such as tune ups, oil changes, tires & brakes.

I am afraid to own this CT past the end of Porsche's CPO warranty. BTW, Porsche may offer an end-to-end Certified Pre-owned Warranty BUT Porsche has refused to cover numerous repairs under warranty!!!

Be advised the cheap assed VW parts the Cayenne inherited are poorly designed and fragile. No wonder these depreciate so drastically.

Yes, I love the overall performance, functionality and the comfort & safety but there is a limit as to how much to spend to keep a vehicle on the road.

I was prepared to spend more for brake jobs and tires but this is ridiculous. It is hard to be grateful for this.

There are several small items that require attention but Porsche has refused to cover three of them. Each of them is a design problem. Moreover, Porsche of North America blamed me! Yet, the replacement parts were re-designed and so beefy that it was a tacit admission the original Cayenne parts were inferior.

With Porsche, the Cayenne in particular, YMMV.

Buyer beware!

Old 10-13-2010, 01:32 AM
spinny02 is infamous around these parts
Doc,

Thanks for the below. Sorry to hear about your problems! We have had our 957 for 3 months now and we had to have our fuel pump changed out.(warranty till 2013)

I sure hope we don’t have to visit the dealer as much as you have!

I have inherited a bad Porsche addiction and would hate to buy another brand’s SUV.

I wish you better luck in the months to come!

Originally Posted by gr8ful
Cayenne reliability has been problematic. Porsche doesn't make cars as well as they used to.

Mine has required an average $1,000 in warranty service every month since November. That does not include regular expected service such as tune ups, oil changes, tires & brakes.

I am afraid to own this CT past the end of Porsche's CPO warranty. BTW, Porsche may offer an end-to-end Certified Pre-owned Warranty BUT Porsche has refused to cover numerous repairs under warranty!!!

Be advised the cheap assed VW parts the Cayenne inherited are poorly designed and fragile. No wonder these depreciate so drastically.

Yes, I love the overall performance, functionality and the comfort & safety but there is a limit as to how much to spend to keep a vehicle on the road.

I was prepared to spend more for brake jobs and tires but this is ridiculous. It is hard to be grateful for this.

There are several small items that require attention but Porsche has refused to cover three of them. Each of them is a design problem. Moreover, Porsche of North America blamed me! Yet, the replacement parts were re-designed and so beefy that it was a tacit admission the original Cayenne parts were inferior.

With Porsche, the Cayenne in particular, YMMV.

Buyer beware!

Old 10-13-2010, 06:44 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
There is a warranty and issues thread sticky over on rennlist.

Rennlist is a very busy site. In about 4 years the warranty tread has grown to 13 pages. Mostly the same issues being repeated and some discussion.

You could post a thread about anything in the 911 or 944 sections and it could grow to 13 pages in a matter of hours.

There are a few common issues that are decent concerns but easily fixed.

No offense to anyone, but many of the issues I see complained about are very tiny nit picky stuff. Legitimate complaints on a $100k car NEW.....maybe. But hardly "reliability issues".

Last edited by Cole; 10-13-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:05 AM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Cole
There is a warranty and issues thread sticky over on rennlist.

Rennlist is a very busy site. In about 4 years the warranty tread has grown to 13 pages. Mostly the same issues being repeated and some discussion.

You could post a thread about anything in the 911 or 944 sections and it could grow to 13 pages in a matter of hours.

There are a few common issues that are decent concerns but easily fixed.

No offense to anyone, but many of the issues I see complained about are very tiny nit picky stuff. Legitimate complaints on a $100k car NEW.....maybe. But hardly "reliability issues".
While I know the known issues, if you saw my bills and the times in for service and you'd be aghast. Minor things cost big bucks to fix on these!

I haven't time for gripping and detailing everything much less visiting another site. My experience with this SUV led me to write a letter last week to Porsche.

Porsche has become like every other car manufacturer: They employ shoddy materials and designs and fail to honor their warranty. this is a far cry from the early days of reliability described by Vic Elford when they didn't carry spare parts to races because Porsches don't break.

However, there is one exception: Most Porsche parts must be marked up a minimum of 500%. One of the computers alone for the AM radio presets cost more than $1,700 for the part alone. Parts to restore my turn signal audio click indicators exceeded $3,700!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:24 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
04 ctt 100k runs like a champ.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: cayenne reliability?