Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Wheel arch extensions: Is it money well spent ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 10:22 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Wheel arch extensions: Is it money well spent ?

My build is locked (with the wheel arches)...but thought I would start this thread for future potential 2011 Caynne owners. The more I look at the 2011 Cayenne pics (this one taken from Champion Porsche's post showcasing their forged wheels) the more I feel that the $990.00 option for the wheel arch extension plastic mold is really not that much of an extension. It is quite flushed to the surface unlike the wheels arch extension of my wife's MINI which actually protrudes out nicely (see pic) Hence I really doubt that it will protect your wheel arch from that potential scratch during inadvertant scraping while backing out or pulling in. So what is the real benefit of this option ???

Attached Images   
Old 10-07-2010, 10:40 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Edit: The above Cayenne photo is with the standard extensions that come with larger wheels. the Optional one should add a bit more plastic above the standard one but I heard that it does not protrude any further out...can someone who has the extended wheel arch comment on whether they protrude out further or not. If they do not protrude out more what is the point in spending that $$.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:40 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Edit: The above Cayenne photo is with the standard extensions that come with larger wheels. the Optional one should add a bit more plastic above the standard one but I heard that it does not protrude any further out...can someone who has the extended wheel arch comment on whether they protrude out further or not. If they do not protrude out more what is the point in spending that $$.
I agree. A nearly 1000.00 option to me is not worth it for 'looks'. I have built my new CS and I am very happy so far. Now, just that interior color...black/blue or just black with anthracite birch....

Old 10-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Jen, I thought you were waiting until next spring to get a CS...change in plans?..let's see you build.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:22 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
I've built it at a hundred times! I love the all black interior, but I want something different and I am probably going for the black/blue interior, maybe with aluminum or carbon. Not much change, but the prem pack, 20" design wheels, PTV, entry& drive, XM, Burm, pano roof and I think it comes out to 92k. Exterior white, silver or black.....then I go and change my mind again 50 times! And I like the X6, too! late winter build just in time for spring!

Old 10-09-2010, 09:09 PM
wilfred is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
I think this guy's Cayenne has what you are referring to:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...cayenne-s.html

It seems to stick out a bit more and has an extra piece on the rear door. As you know, nothing is cheap on these cars and since it's already ordered, just think of it as extra protection. I am sure it will protect the paint from debris or a broken snow chain a little more

Old 10-09-2010, 10:52 PM
ok_computadora is infamous around these parts
[quote=wilfred;3003478]I think this guy's Cayenne has what you are referring to:

Nope - this is the standard extensions that come along with larger wheels. This is not the $1000 optional arch which adds extra plastic above the arches pictured here. The arches are not more pronounced (wider) and are made of black abs plastic.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:35 AM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
i don't think the arch will be important if you put some good looking wheels on the car.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:44 PM
willy_jo is infamous around these parts
[quote=ok_computadora;3003553]
Originally Posted by wilfred
I think this guy's Cayenne has what you are referring to:

Nope - this is the standard extensions that come along with larger wheels. This is not the $1000 optional arch which adds extra plastic above the arches pictured here. The arches are not more pronounced (wider) and are made of black abs plastic.
Are you sure those aren't the optional arch extensions?... coz he's supplied his options list on the same page and it shows that he's ordered and paid for the wheels arch extensions with side door protection moldings. So woot, I am guessing this is exactly how your arch extensions are going to look like... I could be wrong though.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:26 PM
*****-Jo, I think you are right. Those are the wheel arches option. Only Porsche can charge $900.00 for an unwanted plastic part and people go for it. I can't believe I ordered it. Really what's the point of that option... ? is it just looks ..
? Scratch protection. Anyone knows the answer ? Anyway, it's too late can't cancel it any more as my build is locked. Well whatever...

Old 10-26-2010, 10:48 PM
silvac32 is infamous around these parts
i agree with you. doesn't look that much better

Old 10-27-2010, 10:52 AM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
i don't know whether this can be considered as a fender extension or not,,, looks more like just a moulding.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:24 AM
I know...could have spent that money for the clear-bra.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:42 PM
wilfred is infamous around these parts
I like to look at it as a half full attitude, while many would think Germans tend to over-engineer things, I am sure the extensions were proven to be better or necessary in a wind tunnel or some high speed testings. Afterall, it makes perfect sense to me if the tires are just a few mm wider, so should those plastic thingys

Old 10-27-2010, 04:05 PM
wallmon is infamous around these parts
Nope.....Looks like crap

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel arch extensions: Is it money well spent ?