Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

N rated tires - a must?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Munch has much to be proud ofMunch has much to be proud ofMunch has much to be proud ofMunch has much to be proud ofMunch has much to be proud ofMunch has much to be proud ofMunch has much to be proud ofMunch has much to be proud of
N rated tires - a must?

I have a 2006 Cayenne Turbo. Looking at 20" snow tires in a 275/40/20.

I know the Pirelli Scorpion Snow and Ice are N rated - this is the obvious choice.

Michelin came out with the Latitude Alpin which are performance snow tires, but they are not N rated.

They are considerably cheaper than the Pirellis, I'm tempted to try them.

Anyone ever run non N-rated tires? I'm out of warranty, so no concern there.

TIA

Old 10-13-2010, 12:06 AM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
You do not require "N" spec'd tires. I have three sets of wheels; two sets of "n" spec'd tires and one non-"N" spec'd set of AT tires. However, I do not push the non"N" spec'd tires except on the autocross track.

"N" rated have consistencies that Porsche designed for. I believe that the Cayenne handles differently, perhaps better, with the exact "N" spec'd tires for which it was mated.

OEM parts are worth something and it comes down to how you like how they handle.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:04 PM
cmoore1 is infamous around these parts
Not all Pirelli Scorpion tires are n rated. When I bought mine from Tire Rack they didn't have the n version--I got the Mercedes version-figured if they were good enough for MB they would be good enough for a 2006CS. Also the MB version had 2/32 greater tread depth. They work great in the snow and ice.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Munch has much to be proud ofMunch has much to be proud ofMunch has much to be proud ofMunch has much to be proud ofMunch has much to be proud ofMunch has much to be proud ofMunch has much to be proud ofMunch has much to be proud of
Yup, I ended up passing on the Michelins as I came across a newish set of the Scorpions for $280. Couldn't pass up the deal!

Old 10-27-2010, 06:09 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Originally Posted by cmoore1
Not all Pirelli Scorpion tires are n rated. When I bought mine from Tire Rack they didn't have the n version--I got the Mercedes version-figured if they were good enough for MB they would be good enough for a 2006CS. Also the MB version had 2/32 greater tread depth. They work great in the snow and ice.
I'm curious: Exactly how does one know that the tread depth is deeper? Is that what the TR said?

I bought AT tires as recommended by the TR that are also not N spec'd. They work great, but I'd not exceed much with them. While Porsche recommends 235 65 18" AT tires, I went with the wider 255 55 18's and use the PCM Settings for All Season Tires.

I have N rated Scorpions in the same profile BUT next time I am opting for the narrower 235 65 18's in order to better cut through and get 1/4" more ground clearance. 255 55 18" snow tires may be recommended for the power of the Turbo but I want to cut through deeper for better traction and less sliding.

Also, our roads are so grooved up here that narrower tires are best. Wider tires get thrown all over the road.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Old Man is infamous around these parts
I running a '07 911 Turbo with Hankook tires and push them quite hard on the street. Frankly, I can not see the difference in corning, braking, etc., from the Bridgestones that came on the car and at 1/3 the price, they're a great buy. Off the record, the dealer told me that they have no problem with the Hankooks although they don't sell them.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:58 PM
cmoore1 is infamous around these parts
gr8ful: to find tread depth--on Tire Rack site go to Pirelli--Select Scorpion Ice and Snow--go to specs--in size 255 55 18 MB=14/32--same size in N0Porsche= 10/32.
I was wrong in my previous post --tread depth is actually 4/32 greater in MB version.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:29 PM
THAT is significant, but there are the aspects of traction and control that come into play. I am certain Porsche engineers looked into that. Perhaps a concern of stability at speed or laterally. Kind of like shaving tires before a race. They don't mke these things cheap to drive but make them drive effectively.