Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Changing brakes and rotors - piece of cake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Loutorious is infamous around these parts
Changing brakes and rotors - piece of cake

I finished doing the front brakes and rotors today; it was not smooth sailing. I still am glad doing it myself, well, with my brother in-law and 2 friends over 1.5 days.
The retaining pin was a ***** to get out. I had to hammer it with a mallet repeatedly combined with WD40 and scraping for about an hour for the right side, left side was a little easier. The Rotor did not budge at all from mad mallet and hammer blows yesterday. I had to give up at around 9pm or the neighbors would have called the cops. Sprayed generous amount of WD40 and called it a day. Did some more google search at night, torch and sledge hammer was the # 1 solution... did not sleep well.
Next morning found a large earth compacting tool (large flat metal head with long wood handle), gave it about 10 good blow and finally rotor off; what a relief. The rest was straight forward except the brakes had to be bled since the hard line needed to come off the caliper for removal.
The left side was more fun. I broke 2 T47 torx bits off the bolt on the rotor (supposedly only 10lbs torque or something minor). Those were cheap bits so drove to Sears got a new set and of course strip the bolt. What am I gonna do now???? Had to drill the sucker out carefully while friends drove to dealer get new bolts ( I had 2 liters of brake fluid ready but didn't get any new bolts, stupid...). I wasn't sure if the drilling was going to work but luckily it did and the thread was ok. 10 good whack and the rotor came off; it is now night time.

Next week the rear brakes. Bring it on!

Old 10-19-2010, 07:13 AM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
Holy cow! How many miles or how much time since this has been done before? Mine were much easier, maybe an hour per side with a beer in between. Make sure you have the right socket for the rear calipers.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:34 PM
eVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant futureeVoMotion has a brilliant future
Yikes! I am thinking of doing mine soon as well.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:42 AM
medtech is infamous around these parts
Try an impact driver next time to get the retainig screw off the rotor.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:04 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
putting a pin in there that rusts is very un german and stupid,
but im sure that guy who decided on that has already been fired.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
If you want I can email you a porsche pdf instructions for the brakes front and rear. It will probably help. I would post it but the system wont let me
Hi Mr. Haney

Very kind of you and it would be great help. Please email to - gothamgallery@aol.com

Greatly appreciated.

Hopefully the rear will go smoother. I hope to do it this weekend.

Regards, Louis

Old 10-28-2010, 06:15 PM
snzuloz is infamous around these parts
I would be interested in seeing the instructions as well if possible, snzuloz@telus.net thanks Troy.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:19 PM
The brakes were done by dealer about 3 years, 40,000 miles ago. I think maybe the NorthEast coast corrosion is much worst. I can see the large bolt from the wheel hub? bearing? right behind the wheel (center of rotor), is totally rusted also.
For those Northeast coast owner hopefully is not as bad. If you plan to do it yourself also good luck, and if you need a earth stomper to get those sucker off you know I have one.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by medtech
Try an impact driver next time to get the retainig screw off the rotor.
+1, Mandatory. In fact, I purchased one for just that, and have used it for that almost exclusively.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:09 PM
BobbySpeed is infamous around these partsBobbySpeed is infamous around these parts
I've done many sets of brakes in my time, but these rear rakes are a b--ch!
I have used liberal amounts of WD-40 on the pins that go through the rear pads and have pounded like my mad, but they are only half way out.
Now I need an impact gun for the rotors?
If anybody has those instructions from Porsche on how to do the brakes I could really use a copy!

Last edited by BobbySpeed; 10-13-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:41 AM
supermodel56 is just really nicesupermodel56 is just really nicesupermodel56 is just really nicesupermodel56 is just really nicesupermodel56 is just really nice
I just did my brakes and rotors around all four corners and it wasn't so bad. That said, I'm not getting enough pressure when I step on my brakes - it's going to the floor. Not bleeding anywhere - did I just not add enough brake fluid and does it matter what brand so long as it's Dot 4?

Old 12-28-2010, 03:52 PM
snzuloz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by supermodel56
I just did my brakes and rotors around all four corners and it wasn't so bad. That said, I'm not getting enough pressure when I step on my brakes - it's going to the floor. Not bleeding anywhere - did I just not add enough brake fluid and does it matter what brand so long as it's Dot 4?
It sounds like you have air trapped in the system (did you remove any of the brake lines?) If so you MUST bleed the system before driving that thing. Pm me if you need some help.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:57 PM
MattC930 is infamous around these parts
I am changing the brakes, rotors, and sensors on my 2004 Cayenne S....would it be possible to get a copy of the PDF instructions you mentioned...I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Matt Costarakis MattC930@att.net

Old 09-30-2011, 12:30 PM
B_P
B_P is infamous around these parts
[quote=Loutorious;3023707]Hi Mr. Haney

Would it be possible for me to get a copy of that too? thank you so much!! bjpetraitis@gmail.com

Old 09-30-2011, 01:34 PM
irwiny is infamous around these parts
I am also interested in reading the PDF. Please send it to me at irwiny@yahoo.com

Thanks.. Irwin

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Changing brakes and rotors - piece of cake